Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hive Active Heating etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Hold on, surely there's a way around that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What about Hives purchased in Curry's or Maplins here?? You can be certain that they are UK stock just shipped over. As are the Bord Gais Hives also when you think about it as there is no way that BGE are getting separately manufactured products....

Can you not put in any random UK postcode?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

tallpaul wrote: »
    Can you not put in any random UK postcode?

Yup.

And if it fails, back to the retailer (Amazon) at that point.

MackMack wrote: »
    I rang Hive Ireland today about the problem registering the app.

UK Postcode, ring Hive UK using Skype if you need support

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MackMack

According to the guy on the phone, the ones that BG install, the installer gets the app up and running using their code and it's fully supported by BG Ireland. There is no support from BG Ireland on any self installed Hives regardless of where they come from so you'll have the same problem if you need any warranty work done on ones bought from Maplins or Curry's. The address used for the app is where any replacements will get sent so there's no point using a random address.

He also said that they've been onto Amazon already to get them to stop sending them over here. I'm obviously not the only one that's had this problem.

• Advertisement

According to the guy on the phone, the ones that BG install, the installer gets the app up and running using their code and it's fully supported by BG Ireland. There is no support from BG Ireland on any self installed Hives regardless of where they come from so you'll have the same problem if you need any warranty work done on ones bought from Maplins or Curry's. The address used for the app is where any replacements will get sent so there's no point using a random address.

He also said that they've been onto Amazon already to get them to stop sending them over here. I'm obviously not the only one that's had this problem.

Personally, I don't particularly want or need support from BG Ireland. The one problem I had setting my account up was fixed over the phone by Hive support in the UK in minutes. If I have a warranty issue, I'll take it up with the retailer (Amazon).

To be honest I think BG Ireland are a being a little disingenuous here. It would be like Harvey Norman telling you they can't provide any warranty support for the sofa you bought in DFS, it's not a surprise. You go back to DFS.

Ya, but at least if something goes wrong with the BG one they'll come out to fix it. With the Amazon one you'll have to take them off the walls, box it up and send it back to the UK, not great if it goes wrong in the middle of winter. Icould just do without that hassle.

Ya, but at least if something goes wrong with the BG one they'll come out to fix it. With the Amazon one you'll have to take them off the walls, box it up and send it back to the UK, not great if it goes wrong in the middle of winter. Icould just do without that hassle.

I'd bet you they won't 'fix it', they may replace, they may return it to Hive for replacement but I can't imagine for a second your average BG installer is going to take your hive to pieces to troubleshoot a dry joint on the motherboard.

I don't have a doubt that all they'd do is a quick troubleshoot and then start replacing rather than fixing. But it's still a lot better than sending it back to the UK yourself.

I don't have a doubt that all they'd do is a quick troubleshoot and then start replacing rather than fixing. But it's still a lot better than sending it back to the UK yourself.

If BG come out and replace on the spot, you're probably right. If BG come out and tell you they need to return your device to Hive, I'd prefer to take my chances with Amazon returns.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to tell you buying from BG is the wrong thing. It's the easiest route for many people and there's undoubtedly value to that. How much value is for the customer to decide. The only thing I take slight issue with is a BG sales bod telling someone you have to buy from us or bogeymen......

However you decide to purchase, I'm fairly certain you'll be pleased with the product.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Bullcrap from BG. All they know about this product is what they have been taught on the installation course. The ONLY reason they have the Hive is one gas company linking up with another.

On installation they obviously have their own backend to 'register' the Hives. Other than that, these are identical out of the box. You can into any Currys here and buy them. They will be identical to those bought on Amazon or elsewhere.

The only good thing about the BG offer is the installation and even that is inferior to British Gas as they offer multizone which BG seems completely ignorant of.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

tallpaul wrote: »
    The only good thing about the BG offer is the installation and even that is inferior to British Gas as they offer multizone which BG seems completely ignorant of.

Yep, phoned them up to enquire about getting a hive for a three zone set up. Up, down & HW, not difficult. "Hive doesn't do that" i was told. I then said they do, I can buy it on amazon, she said no you can't they only do one zone and HW. Really not a good advertisement. Needless to say i didn't proceed with the conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Officer Giggles

It's quite unbelievable that they know nothing about a product they are the sole official suppliers of

It's quite unbelievable that they know nothing about a product they are the sole official suppliers of

I'd guess the script only covers the single Hive product BG supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭GatsbyGal

So thinking of signing up to the BG hive deal. We have upstairs heat and water together and then separate heat downstairs. Will the hive work for us? The timer on our boiler no longer rotates automatically/works. Would this need to be fixed before a hive install I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

Graham wrote: »
    UK Postcode, ring Hive UK using Skype if you need support

Graham, what postcode did you use?

bidiots wrote: »
    Graham, what postcode did you use?

My Nan's old address but that's probably not helpful for you :)

Completely at random, here's a UK street address and postcode:

Hagley Rd, Birmingham B16 8PF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Just waiting on a electrician getting back to me about wiring this up so thought I would make a start and get the hub connected and registered. Got app and registered OK, have brother in London so have an address to use. Hub lights just flashing amber and orange so going to have to call support. I am wondering for those who self installed and had to contact support, did you mention you are in Ireland? Initially seem to connect OK, then got message about firmware update and now just the flashing lights. Is there a way to do a factory reset on these?

THE ALM wrote: »
    Just waiting on a electrician getting back to me about wiring this up so thought I would make a start and get the hub connected and registered. Got app and registered OK, have brother in London so have an address to use. Hub lights just flashing amber and orange so going to have to call support. I am wondering for those who self installed and had to contact support, did you mention you are in Ireland? Initially seem to connect OK, then got message about firmware update and now just the flashing lights. Is there a way to do a factory reset on these?

Well having just left it it seems to have connected so that is the hub and app up and running. Just wait to hear from the spark to see what is what.

When my hive is installed the controller will replace my clock but what replaces my current thermostat if the hive is wireless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,259 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When my hive is installed the controller will replace my clock but what replaces my current thermostat if the hive is wireless

The hive will replace the thermostat.

ted1 wrote: »
    The hive will replace the thermostat.

The Hive is Wireless, what physically replaces my old termostat which is screwed onto the wall

The Hive is Wireless, what physically replaces my old termostat which is screwed onto the wall
    The hive is a thermostat. You can place it anywhere you want. So you can replace your existing one in the same location or in a different location.

If you buy a new car what replaces your old car on the drive way.?

The hive is a thermostat. You can place it anywhere you want. So you can replace your existing one in the same location or in a different location.

If you buy a new car what replaces your old car on the drive way.?

What happens to the current wired thermostat if the Hive is Wireless and I want to put it on the kitchen table

If you buy a new car and leave your old car in the driveway how do you get the new car in

What happens to the current wired thermostat if the Hive is Wireless and I want to put it on the kitchen table

If you buy a new car and leave your old car in the driveway how do you get the new car in

Throw the old one in the bin. Is it not obvious that if you are getting a new one that the old one is of no use.

Throw the old one in the bin. Is it not obvious that if you are getting a new one that the old one is of no use.

That's not what I am asking, I am replacing a wired thermostat with a wireless thermostat, if I remove the wired thermostat there will be wires on show, does the Hive have something like the Netatmo where you have to connect something to these wires to allow your new thermostat become wireless or do the old wires get removed and I plaster over the hole

That's not what I am asking, I am replacing a wired thermostat with a wireless thermostat, if I remove the wired thermostat there will be wires on show, does the Hive have something like the Netatmo where you have to connect something to these wires to allow your new thermostat become wireless or do the old wires get removed and I plaster over the hole
    You can pull out the wire, cut it, push it back into the wall.

You can pull out the wire, cut it, push it back into the wall.

Sound cheers ðŸ‘

For those with Hive and using Alexa, this may be of interest, due out in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

THE ALM wrote: »
    For those with Hive and using Alexa, this may be of interest, due out in March.

Is it not possible to control the current Hive plug via Alexa?

Advertisement