Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aerlingus AerClub/Avios

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

L1011 wrote: »
    They do have to pay per pax that uses it; and I'm not sure whether to believe the DAA may have cocked up or EI's twitter staff are in the dark as both are extremely possibly!

I suspect the AL Twitter people aren't up to speed.

The security guys were really pleasant and actually reached over and just scanned my husband's boarding pass in the regular desk and let us walk through. He even told us that staff are no longer allowed to use the fast track queue because of the costs.

Nevertheless, I will investigate further next week.....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

He even told us that staff are no longer allowed to use the fast track queue because of the costs

This makes no sense! The machines are the same, they are staffed by the same people!! Heck, they even usher regular pax through the fast track line when it's quiet and the regular channels are busier!!

This makes no sense! The machines are the same, they are staffed by the same people!! Heck, they even usher regular pax through the fast track line when it's quiet and the regular channels are busier!!

It does make sense. If DAA can charge people extra to use fast track, then I'm sure they need to have a way to make sure it's not abused

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,085 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's the scanners. They levy a fee to use the boarding pass bypass - its in the published fees list and is similar to the airport genie fee for it

However, staff have their own lane - or is that airside workers only?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

L1011 wrote: »
    They do have to pay per pax that uses it; and I'm not sure whether to believe the DAA may have cocked up or EI's twitter staff are in the dark as both are extremely possibly!
    Historically EI paid the DAA per pax using fast track.

I'ld hazard a guess that EI execs haven't bothered to fully inform their own twitter team (judging by what I am hearing from a couple of EI mates)

• Advertisement

Tenger wrote: »
    Historically EI paid the DAA per pax using fast track.

I'ld hazard a guess that EI execs haven't bothered to fully inform their own twitter team (judging by what I am hearing from a couple of EI mates)

Are your friends suggesting I am right? (I hope not!!!!)

Are your friends suggesting I am right? (I hope not!!!!)

I'm a bit confused

I'm a bit confused

That the Twitter people are not up to speed and that we can no longer takes guests through fast track?

That the Twitter people are not up to speed and that we can no longer takes guests through fast track?
    Ah right. My mate didnt know when I was taking to her. I was referencing the lack of good internal communication in EI

Ah right. My mate didnt know when I was taking to her. I was referencing the lack of good internal communication in EI

Ah, ok. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I spoke with GC recently about the new loyaltys scheme. They told me your existing points will convert to the new points even if you currently don't have GC status. I'm pretty sure she said you could convert BA avoid points too.

I've 60,000 avoid and 4,200 GC points. AL didn't give me credit on 4 t/a flights this year so I missed reaching the threshold for the renewal of my membership. And you can longer trade points for membership. Wasn't impressed. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

faceman wrote: »
    And you can longer trade points for membership. Wasn't impressed. :(

When did that change happen? They really don't understand customer loyalty if they think not communicating changes is a good idea.

faceman wrote: »
    And you can longer trade points for membership. Wasn't impressed. :(

Are you kidding me! This gets worse and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    When did that change happen? They really don't understand customer loyalty if they think not communicating changes is a good idea.

I was very surprised to hear that too - first mention I noticed was in a generic email from GC on November 10th where they thought I was trying to renew membership as opposed to telling them I have exceeded the points requirement for membership but flights hadn't posted.
    You are just 300 points short for the renewal of your Gold Circle membership. This is reviewed on a monthly basis and we would be delighted for you to reach this level in the near future.

Unfortunately it is no longer possible to redeem points for the renewal of your membership.

Thank you for your valued custom. If you have any further queries please contact me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Just brought three guests through fast track at t2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I've a funny feeling the conversion rate to Avios will leave us all underwhelmed

I left out disappointed, disenchanted & more than a little ріѕѕеḋ оff.

1 point = 2 Avios as per the Aer Club FAQ page

BT vouchers it is so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Not entirely related, I feel bound to note that I flew Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Dublin tonight.

The service was far better than that offered by Aer Lingus. Crew that actually smiled, free sandwich and drinks, slimline seats so respectable knee room, and best of all, no constant barrage of bull over the PA system. Not once did we get the "please stand in from the seat while stowing your overhead baggage", "you must use the space under your seat and overhead", "we carry a wide range of duty free products", et al. Just three brief words; "boarding is completed".

If AerClub is as crap as it looks I think I'll rejoin Priority Pass when my Gold Circle membership finishes up.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Noxegon wrote: »
    Not entirely related, I feel bound to note that I flew Lufthansa from Frankfurt to Dublin tonight.

The service was far better than that offered by Aer Lingus. Crew that actually smiled, free sandwich and drinks, slimline seats so respectable knee room, and best of all, no constant barrage of bull over the PA system. Not once did we get the "please stand in from the seat while stowing your overhead baggage", "you must use the space under your seat and overhead", "we carry a wide range of duty free products", et al. Just three brief words; "boarding is completed".

If AerClub is as crap as it looks I think I'll rejoin Priority Pass when my Gold Circle membership finishes up.

There is a reason you hear those announcements on EI, FR, EZY etc, and it's because they rely on ancillary revenue in the form of checked luggage and onboard sales for profit ! And you have the low cost travel model to thank for that! Lufthansa would never have the problem of cabin luggage that the likes of EZY and FR have, it's a major struggle and makes boarding 10 times more stressful for all, because more of their passengers would check in a case for free, there is no requirement for such announcements during boarding, same applies to the announcement for the onboard cosmetics, they don't have the reliance on additional sales to boost profit

Locker10a wrote: »
    There is a reason you hear those announcements on EI, FR, EZY etc, and it's because they rely on ancillary revenue in the form of checked luggage and onboard sales for profit ! And you have the low cost travel model to thank for that! Lufthansa would never have the problem of cabin luggage that the likes of EZY and FR have, it's a major struggle and makes boarding 10 times more stressful for all, because more of their passengers would check in a case for free, there is no requirement for such announcements during boarding, same applies to the announcement for the onboard cosmetics, they don't have the reliance on additional sales to boost profit

Personally I would love to see EI try to differentiate their offering from FR and EZ by offering a single checked in bag for free....roll E5-7 into the fare and its covered. Less cabin baggage would reduce boarding scrum (helping ontime performance) and would provide a more apparent passenger experience (compared to their major competitor) than deciding to call the pax "guests". It would also create more of a connection from their currently disjointed LH vs SH product. (after all they are looking to continue to develop their mini hub at DUB)

However I doubt the EI Exec team would see this, apparently they are all bean counters rather than strategic vision types. (I dont mean to disrespect hard working finance folks, but a healthy balance of cost control and willingness to invest in the future is needed in any business) "lowest headline price" is the target for the current EI CEO.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Lufthansa from Dublin has been extortionate any time I've checked. Paying extra still doesn't guarantee you won't be stuck behind someone standing in the aisle as he takes off his jacket, folds it up neatly before remembering he left his headphones in the inside pocket. Opens it up again the take them out but they get caught in the zip. Turns around to apologise but continues what he's doing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I chose Lufthansa for schedule, as I couldn't be sure I'd make it to FRA in time for the Shamrock flight which was about ninety minutes earlier. As I recall the price was more or less the same.

The service was sufficiently better that they'll be my first choice next time.

And yes, I might be stuck behind someone in the aisle working on the overhead bins, but having the crew blaring about that over the PA isn't going to impact the fact that said individual will want to finish getting his headphones out.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

I just burned 2,000 points on an €100 Arrnotts gift card, and will probably burn another 2,000 for a Brown Thomas voucher.

Regarding the conversion rate, I'm thinking (hoping) it's not going to be too bad for us as AL have been pushing hard to try and get people to start using their points (well, me anyway), as the number & frequency of emails with offers has increased a lot in the last 2 months or so. Maybe thats in anticipation of the changeover, or they are told by Avios to do it? either way I guess I've bitten,
    I currently have 9,000 points, so losing the 4,000 on vouchers still has me not looking too bad.

Slightly OT but out of interest;

Whats the most amount of points you've ever had in your account? Know of anyone ever having a crazy amount?
    I think the most I was ever up to was about 13/14 thousand.

If any of you could get clarity on any aspects of the move to AerClub, what would be the most important to you?

Conversion rate GC points to Avios?
    Lounge access across partners airlines?
    Admittance points thresholds?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

If any of you could get clarity on any aspects of the move to AerClub, what would be the most important to you?

Admittance points - how long until I will get access to longues when I fly basically

• Subscribers Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭IRLConor

I don't give a toss about Avios (because the odds on me getting anything particularly useful out of them are low) but I really care about the Tier Points.

The perks of even the lowest tier in Gold Circle can be the difference to me between a trip being a pain in the hole and being somewhat comfortable.

I'll be planning the bulk of next year's flying over the next 2-3 months so it would be useful to know sooner rather than later whether or not I'm likely to retain status in the new system.

Disgusted. Just off an aer Lingus flight from gatwick. Firstly flight was delayed an hour, but no where was that posted on any boards. The only reason I knew is my Tripcase app kept sending me emails so I stuck around the lounge rather than being stuck in the holding pen half the evening.

Then on the plane, the lady in the seat next to asked the air hostess if she could take away the rubbish left in the seat from the last passenger. No. They are not allowed to take the rubbish until general rubbish collection at the end. Suggested the passenger send an email complaint.

Not acceptable aer Lingus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Disgusted. Just off an aer Lingus flight from gatwick. Firstly flight was delayed an hour, but no where was that posted on any boards. The only reason I knew is my Tripcase app kept sending me emails so I stuck around the lounge rather than being stuck in the holding pen half the evening.

Then on the plane, the lady in the seat next to asked the air hostess if she could take away the rubbish left in the seat from the last passenger. No. They are not allowed to take the rubbish until general rubbish collection at the end. Suggested the passenger send an email complaint.

Regular at Gatwick, cleaners do sweet F.A. on the aircraft and Aer Lingus are paying for them ! I've yet to get on a clean plane departing Gatwick airport!
    The delay you can hardly blame the airline for .......

Locker10a wrote: »
    Regular at Gatwick, cleaners do sweet F.A. on the aircraft and Aer Lingus are paying for them ! I've yet to get on a clean plane departing Gatwick airport!
    The delay you can hardly blame the airline for .......

Read my post again.

I'm not blaming the airline for the delays. What I'm saying was there was no indication by the airline at all that there were any delays. Passengers were moved into the holding pen as normal and left to sit for an hour while the plane was still stuck in dublin airport.

Re the cleaning, my issue was with the air hostesses downright refusal to remove rubbish left by a previous passenger with the only "helpful" suggestion being send an email to complain.

I hope aer Lingus don't pride themselves on customer service.

As a side note, the new lounge in Gatwuck is quite nice,

So much better than the old cramped one over beside Nandos

• Advertisement

Disgusted............

I've been told that Aer Lingus have recently introduced a policy of no cabin cleaning at destinations. Cleaners empty waste bins in toilets and galleys only. Crew are told this will work if they make several waste collections inflight (not sure when this will happen on a DUB-LGW or DUB-MAN flight!!)
    I think its an awful scenario, imagine and aircraft doing Dublin-London 4 or 6 times a day. Not cleaning the aircraft is really counting pennies rather than pounds.

Advertisement