Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-09-2015, 21:33   #1

Rugby League's Off-Topic thread.

So, I was thinking where to post my eight thousandth bit of uninteresting bullplop, and decided upon my own little forum, of peace and solitude, where the quiet is only occasionally broken by the odd welcome visitor.

So here it is, number 8000.

Off to print a screen grab of this now and stick it on my wall, next to my 15 metre swimming certificate (which I cheated to get).

Last edited by Tom Mann Centuria; 01-10-2019 at 20:48.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
10-09-2015, 21:37   #2
Beasty
Administrator

That's not even 3 a day - you are supposed to have more fruit and veg portions than that.....
Thanks from:
12-09-2015, 11:20   #3
jimjimjimmy
Banned

Clearly a case of a moderator abusing their power with a meaningless thread
(2) thanks from:
12-09-2015, 11:25   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimjimmy View Post
Clearly a case of a moderator abusing their power with a meaningless thread
BANNED*

*Not really, rely on you and couple of others to keep me from talking to myself ALL the time!
Thanks from:
12-09-2015, 12:17   #5
Beasty
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dozen Wicked Words View Post

*Not really, rely on you and couple of others to keep me from talking to myself ALL the time!
You've the Soccer forum if you want to interact with others. Cricket gives you a chance for more intellectual discussion. Here you have peace and tranquility - what more can you ask for?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2015, 12:18   #6
Beasty
Administrator

BTW is there a hint of a Yorkshire accent in some of your posts DWW?
12-09-2015, 12:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasty View Post
BTW is there a hint of a Yorkshire accent in some of your posts DWW?
Nope, a year living in the wilds of North Yorkshire is about all Beasty.
12-09-2015, 13:12   #8
Beasty
Administrator

Whereabouts in North Yorkshire?

(I was born in the North Riding, 10 miles south of Middlesbrough, and lived in North Yorkshire until heading off to Uni)

North Yorkshire has little in the way of a RL tradition though (equally until Scarborough were elevated to the old Football League they didn't have a football team, other than York City who in the very old days was shared with the East and West Ridings - Middlesbrough was though in the North Riding until it became transformed into North Yorkshire back in the 60s)
Thanks from:
12-09-2015, 13:38   #9

Quote:
Whereabouts in North Yorkshire?

(I was born in the North Riding, 10 miles south of Middlesbrough, and lived in North Yorkshire until heading off to Uni)

North Yorkshire has little in the way of a RL tradition though (equally until Scarborough were elevated to the old Football League they didn't have a football team, other than York City who in the very old days was shared with the East and West Ridings - Middlesbrough was though in the North Riding until it became transformed into North Yorkshire back in the 60s)
I was in a large place near Richmond "for work" until I moved down South to the Salisbury area "for work"

Also worked as a shopfitter on a place in Stockton-on-Tees when I was younger. Well loafed about whilst the people who knew what they were doing worked!

Last edited by Dozen Wicked Words; 12-09-2015 at 14:22.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
12-09-2015, 19:41   #10
Beasty
Administrator

As I've already steered it down that route, why not make this a proper "off-topic" thread (as that may attract more posting/posters than talking about RL!)
Thanks from:
12-09-2015, 22:24   #11

Quote:
As I've already steered it down that route, why not make this a proper "off-topic" thread (as that may attract more posting/posters than talking about RL!)
It's still early in the season (its last few games of season in UK and Oz) and there are loads of posters who like RL (5ish at a push, but quality not quantity). So there really is no need for an off topic thread (I'll change the title of this to off topic thread tomorrow).

So thanks but no thanks (thanks).

Oh and If people just watched a couple of games, like the NRL served up in the last 48 hours they'd see what a great game Rugby League is! (but they won't )
12-09-2015, 23:00   #12
Beasty
Administrator

Used to watch a local team just beside Headingley station on Sunday mornings for a year or two. It was certainly "interesting" at that level in the mid 1980s (before the sport cleaned itself up). Occasionally would watch Leeds and when I moved back to Manchester I went to Wigan once or twice. It was and remains a sport very dominated in England by teams in certain parts of Lancashire and Yorkshire though.

Going back far enough the Challenge Cup Final was not that far behind the FA Cup final in terms of the occasion the BBC would make out of it. I guess a lot changed once Union became professional meaning there was a lot less crossover of players from Union into League. I do think Sky have put quite a bit into re-raising the game's profile a bit though (and it's prepared to embrace technology to make it more attractive).

Alas it never got a foothold in Ireland and Union is now way to big over here for it ever to happen. I am sure a large proportion of the population would hardly know it exists as a separate sport to Union
Thanks from:
12-09-2015, 23:27   #13

Lower leagues in England and Wales are much more geographically diverse now, but maintaining that for more than a season of two will be the problem, particularly when you see it's exclusively the southern teams at the Bottom of League 1. Sky have put good money into the game, particularly the latest deal, shame they won't stump up for the NRL and promote that with their sports news channel etc. Might have a few bob now they aren't paying for premiership rugby!
13-09-2015, 00:04   #14

Off topic shenanigoats to begin.

Now.

All suggestions for the regular renaming of this thread will be gratefully received but there's a very high chance mine will get picked.
13-09-2015, 00:10   #15
Beasty
Administrator

Maybe you should simply update it every time you post - should be 8069 posts! now....
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion