Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

07-04-2014, 01:04   #61
Stevecw

Whatever Kerry have been doing, it's certainly working. If the likes of Cummins is involved then that's great to see.
They have improved hugely in the last year, and are a very good side now. They bet us in the league but we were thinking that's just because we are already in final.

With the MLR guys back now, we'll walk this one really seemed to be the feeling in Carlow. I'm sure the players weren't thinking that way but I know a lot of people were.
I know a few people who would normally go to most games stayed at home today cos Leinster were on, and would wait till the "real final" v Offaly next week.

If nothing else it might be a wake up call before the championship, we will not be taking London or Westmeath for granted now.

As for the footballers, you are dead right Tipp Gunner, there is no way we should be the worst team around. Rainbow has dragged us down to the very bottom in his time here. Many of the best players in the county either didn't come back again or walked away early once they saw the mess that his set up is.

It's crazy that he is still left in charge at this stage. Meath in June, we will be lucky to be able to field 15 by then.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
07-04-2014, 01:35   #62
jack o shea
Banned

were carlow not giving out stink a few months ago about not been allowed play with the big boys?and now they cant even get out of the crap division they were in!!! all talk no action....
07-04-2014, 02:00   #63
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack o shea View Post
were carlow not giving out stink a few months ago about not been allowed play with the big boys?and now they cant even get out of the crap division they were in!!! all talk no action....
Think your being a bit unfair there. Carlow rightly objected on principle to the fact that the 2A champions faced a playoff against the relegation losers of 1b in order to promote. Carlow won all bar 2 games in their division which they lost to a good Kerry side. . Kerry have been much improved this year and hopefully can now beat Offaly and go up.

I'd have more respect for counties that are trying to come up and improve rather then some who have let standards drop but due to their sense of entitlement, expect handouts from the association.

Carlow are a small county in both population and size so it's unfair to attack the clear hard work that has gone on in the county evident by some good performances at underage last year and the rise of MLR.

Cop yourself on
07-04-2014, 11:36   #64
TaosHum

Fair play to Kerry yesterday. Better team won. Hopefully they go on to beat Offaly next week as they deserve to be in Division 1B at this point.

Another year against inferior opposition for Carlow in the league is not good for the counties development, but if they continue to get the same commitment from players they will be up there again next year.

Anyways, there is still 4 games in the Championship to come, with the first game in Ruislip only three weeks away. Carlow will need to pick themselves up from yesterday, as London won't be easy.
08-04-2014, 01:11   #65
jack o shea
Banned

how are carlow playing inferior opposition again nxt year if they couldnt top the division this year then they are no better than the other teams?
Advertisement
08-04-2014, 11:18   #66
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack o shea View Post
how are carlow playing inferior opposition again nxt year if they couldnt top the division this year then they are no better than the other teams?
Where are Carlow quoted as saying anything about having to play inferior opposition?

They were complaining about the double standards of the winner of 1B being promoted without having to play a final and yet the top team in 2A having to play a 2A final and then another tie breaker against the relegated team in 1B and they had every right to complain.

Im sure its not just Carlow who complained either. Im sure the other developing counties trying to get youngsters hurling are hoping the GAA will see sense on this ridiculous scenario too. The likes of Westmeath, Down or Kerry.

Carlow were already in 1b last year and didnt disgrace themselves by any means.

Now the GAA have ensured that they, Kerry, Westmeath or whoever else that wins 2A will face even more difficulty in achieving promotion by having to play a team who have the advantage of playing league games at a higher level.

In Sundays case, Kerry with only experience of playing 2A teams (with all due respect to them) have to play Offaly who have experience of playing the likes of Cork, Limerick and Wexford this year.

It all smacks of a desire to close the shop. There was no justification for the promoted team from 2A having to prove themselves that they are cut out for 1b and both Laois this year and Carlow last year have rammed this down their throats. Kerry by beating Carlow twice this year have proved that they too are capable of competing at 1B level.

The Difference in fitness is the big thing with many of these teams. Kerry were 4 points behind Tipp going into the last ten minutes in a recent Waterford Crystal Cup meeting.

I think perhaps the GAA should look at a 10 + 8 model (10 teams in Div 1 and 8 teams in Div 2) with 2 promotions and 2 relegations. What do others think? The way i see it if Carlow could promote from Div 2 in that scenario then they would benefit from getting 9 games at least against some top opposition. The danger is there could be too much of a gulf between 1 and 2.

Last edited by tipp_Gunner; 08-04-2014 at 11:21.
27-04-2014, 21:44   #67
Stevecw

Shocking bad result for Carlow in London today. Pulling off a lucky draw is very disappointing.
So much has gone wrong the last few weeks, with training, guys dropping off etc and today was the result of all that.

The Kerry game in the final when we underperformed and only 2 subs were made, added to so many regulars being dropped started this problem.

Guys who had played well, while fair enough getting dropped for an All Ireland finalist was fine at least expected to be brought on as the game v Kerry was going against us. Only using 2 subs that day after making so many changes was the start of the problem. Meyler has a lot to answer re that game.

Since then a few players left the panel, others have "relaxed" a bit too much. Last week we had a challenge v Tipp 21s and struggled to field a team.

Terrible to see what looked like a very promising year turn into this mess. Next week we have Antrim at home. Win that and hopefully we might recover. Lose that and it will all fall apart, and we could well end up in Christy Ring next season.

Only bright spot of the weekend was our minors beating Kildare in newbridge, scoring 1-22. Play Kilkenny in Quarters next.
(2) thanks from:
27-04-2014, 22:07   #68
rebel girl 15

Carlow were three and four points down for a lot of the second half, I was getting updates on Twitter, any time Carlow scored, London did again to keep the gap - I didn't go into Ruislip for it because of the Munster game.

Its disappointing to hear that things are getting worse rather than better
(2) thanks from:
28-04-2014, 15:17   #69
TaosHum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevecw View Post
Shocking bad result for Carlow in London today. Pulling off a lucky draw is very disappointing.
So much has gone wrong the last few weeks, with training, guys dropping off etc and today was the result of all that.

The Kerry game in the final when we underperformed and only 2 subs were made, added to so many regulars being dropped started this problem.

Guys who had played well, while fair enough getting dropped for an All Ireland finalist was fine at least expected to be brought on as the game v Kerry was going against us. Only using 2 subs that day after making so many changes was the start of the problem. Meyler has a lot to answer re that game.

Since then a few players left the panel, others have "relaxed" a bit too much. Last week we had a challenge v Tipp 21s and struggled to field a team.

Terrible to see what looked like a very promising year turn into this mess. Next week we have Antrim at home. Win that and hopefully we might recover. Lose that and it will all fall apart, and we could well end up in Christy Ring next season.

Only bright spot of the weekend was our minors beating Kildare in newbridge, scoring 1-22. Play Kilkenny in Quarters next.
Only game I can see them winning now is against Westmeath. I hope there will be some kind of reaction against Antrim, but I don't expect them to beat them. Laois should win by at least 10 points against Carlow.

As you said, such a shame they have been unable to build on there good start to the league and MLR's run to the All-Ireland.
Advertisement
28-04-2014, 17:34   #70
grattanspuds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosHum View Post
Only game I can see them winning now is against Westmeath. I hope there will be some kind of reaction against Antrim, but I don't expect them to beat them. Laois should win by at least 10 points against Carlow.

As you said, such a shame they have been unable to build on there good start to the league and MLR's run to the All-Ireland.
Surely there will be a backlash from them next week? Plus, Antrim aren't great travellers - from the outside looking in, I'd give Carlow a fighting chance
05-05-2014, 13:31   #71
TaosHum

Well, any hopes of getting through to the knock out stages of the LSHC have all but gone with that loss yesterday against Antrim. To be fair to Antrim, they had that bit of class in the forwards to keep the scoreboard ticking over, but Carlow didn't help themselves.

I think something like 2-5 of Antrim's scores were avoidable. Between the keeper and the backs they made some awful errors (poor puck outs, dropping the ball under no pressure, passing it straight to the opposition) and at this level got punished. That was the difference between the two sides. Carlow gifted Antrim scores while Carlow had to work for theirs. To the forwards credit, they played well, especially Mary Kavanagh. His brother Jack in midfield also did well.

I wasn't overally impressed with Meyler yesterday. He deployed a sweeper-esque system in bringing the full-forward out around midfield, which unfortunately didn't mean more possession. This in turn led to many balls being played into the full forward line getting mopped up by the spare full back. Also, Sean Murphy not even getting a game was a poor call (unless he was injured). I would also liked to have seen Conor Lawler get a run as he has the speed to run at defenders, along with Murphy.
05-05-2014, 19:42   #72
tipp_Gunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaosHum View Post
Well, any hopes of getting through to the knock out stages of the LSHC have all but gone with that loss yesterday against Antrim. To be fair to Antrim, they had that bit of class in the forwards to keep the scoreboard ticking over, but Carlow didn't help themselves.

I think something like 2-5 of Antrim's scores were avoidable. Between the keeper and the backs they made some awful errors (poor puck outs, dropping the ball under no pressure, passing it straight to the opposition) and at this level got punished. That was the difference between the two sides. Carlow gifted Antrim scores while Carlow had to work for theirs. To the forwards credit, they played well, especially Mary Kavanagh. His brother Jack in midfield also did well.

I wasn't overally impressed with Meyler yesterday. He deployed a sweeper-esque system in bringing the full-forward out around midfield, which unfortunately didn't mean more possession. This in turn led to many balls being played into the full forward line getting mopped up by the spare full back. Also, Sean Murphy not even getting a game was a poor call (unless he was injured). I would also liked to have seen Conor Lawler get a run as he has the speed to run at defenders, along with Murphy.

To be fair, Antrim are at Div 1b pace whilst Carlow were at 2A so to come as close as ye did is not bad given the current circumstances. given that they have the experience of playing Cork and Limerick its no mean feat tbh.

Is Conor Lawlor a dual player? I know of one playing football for the IT.

Id agree re the sweeper issue. Coaches seems to be terrified of letting in a raft of scores within a small time span so seem to use this tactic. Its a sticky plaster over a gaping wound. The bigger issue should be to equip your team with the emphasis of willingness to battle hard and turnover more possession. Battling players are all too often overlooked in hurling. The midfield also need to be better to read the game. They could be needed to help out in the rucks in the 40 or their own half backline. There is no point having extra reinforcement to win a ball in the middle if you have no one on the edge of the square to aim at.
Thanks from:
05-05-2014, 21:14   #73
TaosHum

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipp_Gunner View Post
To be fair, Antrim are at Div 1b pace whilst Carlow were at 2A so to come as close as ye did is not bad given the current circumstances. given that they have the experience of playing Cork and Limerick its no mean feat tbh.

Is Conor Lawlor a dual player? I know of one playing football for the IT.

Id agree re the sweeper issue. Coaches seems to be terrified of letting in a raft of scores within a small time span so seem to use this tactic. Its a sticky plaster over a gaping wound. The bigger issue should be to equip your team with the emphasis of willingness to battle hard and turnover more possession. Battling players are all too often overlooked in hurling. The midfield also need to be better to read the game. They could be needed to help out in the rucks in the 40 or their own half backline. There is no point having extra reinforcement to win a ball in the middle if you have no one on the edge of the square to aim at.
I understand that Antrim are playing 1B Hurling, but the only difference between the two sides were the mistakes made in the Carlow backline. Carlow genuinely gave up at least 2-5 of very avoidable scores. But I suppose that's part of the difference in quality. Antrim weren't making those critical errors while they were able to punish Carlow at the same time.

Yeah, Lawlor also plays football for Palatine. Very pacy player who could have caused problems with his speed.

Totally agree on the sweeper system. It only works if the extra player is winning a good portion of ball in the middle and you have the forwards capable of running at the opposition.
07-05-2014, 20:08   #74
Stevecw

Bad weekend for Carlow hurling, no surprise there. Lots of problems there now.

More worrying is the state of football here, am at the minor match here in dcp. Longford 3-8, Carlow 1-1 at ht. Its humiliating, worse is there's more Longford people here than Carlow it seems. Sorry for bad text, not used to writing here off phone.

Last edited by Stevecw; 07-05-2014 at 20:12.
07-05-2014, 20:54   #75
Stevecw

3-13 to 2-6 in the end. Better show in 2nd half, but was so easy for an average looking Longford side.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion