Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 darylf

hi i am travelling with ryanair in a few weeks and am a bit concerned regarding my hand luggage all dimensions are exactly what they should be 55x40x20 but my suitcase on the 20 dimension is ok except for the wheels which make it 2cm too big. i have read that they are strict but i could squeeze it in but i dont want to take the risk. what i am wondering is, is there one of the cage things they use to measure them before the check in desks ie beside the entrance door because i might be able to check as am travelling up the night before. Thans in advance for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Hi all

Just wondering if anybody could help me out, I need to bring a suitcase on a Ryanair flight, does anybody know what kind of costs they're looking for, for September?

Granted I booked the flights before the fees went up, would this make a difference?
    you are obviously new to the internet so.

If you look at the ryanair website then the info will all be there, because unless someone here is a member of ryanair staff then none of us can be 100% sure of what the story is without looking up the EXACT terms and conditions as they are today (not yesterday or last week)

To answer the second question, you would have to presume that Ryanair would charge the going rate for luggage which applies now. If anything because its just easier on the IT end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Gatica wrote: »
    It says balance of 50 so BrokenMan's explanation that it's only a one-way charge makes sense.

I'm confused though as to why the right pane summary looks like 50 charge going out and 50 coming back.

For anyone wondering, they only charged me for the way back. It's just a glitch in how it looks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

darylf wrote: »
    hi i am travelling with ryanair in a few weeks and am a bit concerned regarding my hand luggage all dimensions are exactly what they should be 55x40x20 but my suitcase on the 20 dimension is ok except for the wheels which make it 2cm too big. i have read that they are strict but i could squeeze it in but i dont want to take the risk. what i am wondering is, is there one of the cage things they use to measure them before the check in desks ie beside the entrance door because i might be able to check as am travelling up the night before. Thans in advance for any help

They tend to use cardboard box things now that they bring to the gates...and they look smaller. If your bag is too big don't risk it, it's a pricey lesson to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭bewhiched

Hi all

We are of to Spain on the 30th May for 9. Nights we are just bringing hand luggage with us BUT concerned about what to pack into our hand luggage regarding sun lotions toothpaste etc any advice on this be much appricited I've never brought hand luggage on Ryanair before.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

Hi,

In your hand luggage, you can only take liquids where each container is 100 mls or less. The bottle must be clearly marked at 100mls or less. My wife bought the empty 100 ml bottles in the chemist and filled with her own shampoo etc... and they confiscated them as they did not have a 100 ml label on them. Your creams / liquids must be stored in a see-through plastic bag. You can ready the specifics about this on the Ryanair or Dublin airport websites I expect.

You could consider buying some of this stuff in Spain, such as shampoo, shower gel etc..

I'm not sure that Mrs JT would fit all her clothes into hand-luggage if we were going for 9 nights! Usually we would check in 1 suitcase between us.

Thank you for the reply.

Ok seems a lot of messing doesn't it..

I might look into getting a few bits over there think there's a lidel in NERJA il tip in there..

No we travel very light learnt from pass experience I guess..
    I shall look up there web site to see.. thank you again

Do you have to mark "100ML on the bottle like a label and stick it on the bottle thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭jt_dublin

bewhiched wrote: »
    Do you have to mark "100ML on the bottle like a label and stick it on the bottle thanks

Most or probably all toiletries have the volume marked on it. It was just those empty 100 ml bottles that you can buy did not have the volume written on it. If you are buying these, make sure they either have the size on their or else that they come with a label that you can attach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

If you are going through terminal 1 there is a boots that sells everything you find in boots. eg suncreams etc. Just buy the stuff there

• Advertisement

Much appricited thank you very much kind of takes the fun out of travelling....

Brilliant brilliant NEVER thought of that thanks guys very very much that will make better sense than this messing around to be honest silly carry on really.. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

The 100ml liquid restriction is an airport security rule. It doesn't have anything to do Ryanair. Everyone has to abide by it, not just Ryanair passengers.

Pennys are great for 100ml toiletry sets, as are most 2 Euros/Dealz stores. They often also have miniature traveling kits that have a mini fold up toothbrush & toothpaste combo. Large chemists such as Boots often have popular name brands in travel friendly 100 ml size. If you are going for any length of time, I'd just buy it all over there. Bringing it with you, just takes up space in your luggage. Plus if it is for a whole family, you won't be long working your way thru a small 100ml bottle of sun tan lotion, shampoo, after sun lotion etc etc

Yes absolutely your right would take up too much space too is right my brother works in boots and he said the same either get it in boots airport or over there.. Thanks guys you have been very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,318 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The small bottles and containers of toothpaste, mouthwash etc. they sell in Boots and the bigger supermarkets are outrageously overpriced, in some cases almost the same price as the regular containers which have four or more times the quantity. Clearly people fall for the cute size and are attracted by the convenience but in most cases you'd be better off buying the full size item when you get there and just leave it behind when coming home. Or if you do have favourite things you would like to have on holiday but the original containers are too big to bring in hand luggage, I believe you can buy packs of small empty containers in Penneys and pound shops for travel purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

Hi all, off to the F1 in Monaco in a week and a half with Ryanair.

Looking to bring my AM/FM headphones for the race. Basically, battery powered headphones that will pick up the commentary. Anyone know will there be any issues with these with security? Can't find anything about this but last thing I want is to do without them at security.

Absolutely nothing to worry about, put them into you bag when going through the scanners and they won't cause any problems. I travel with any number of gadgets and stuff them into my bag when doing security, have never been pulled over. Electronics like mobile phones, tablets and portable radios are going through the scanners by the dozen every minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

There will be no problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cian59

coylemj wrote: »
    Absolutely nothing to worry about, put them into you bag when going through the scanners and they won't cause any problems. I travel with any number of gadgets and stuff them into my bag when doing security, have never been pulled over. Electronics like mobile phones, tablets and portable radios are going through the scanners by the dozen every minute.

Thanks a million.

I've also read that I can carry 2 spare AA batteries once they are appropriately packaged. Is this true?

Cian59 wrote: »
    I've also read that I can carry 2 spare AA batteries once they are appropriately packaged. Is this true?

There was talk in the US a while back about restrictions on bringing spare Lithium batteries for laptops on to planes but I don't recall any changes to the rules here and I have never heard of any restriction on AA batteries - they sell them in virtually every airport as a way of hoovering up travellers' loose change so there's no problem bringing them onto a plane given that you can typically buy alkaline and rechargeable batteries in the gadgets and camera shops after going through security.

Just read the data on this website, you can bring anything that is not listed as prohibited and it also sets out the regulations on liquids in carry-on luggage.....

http://www.dublinairport.com/gns/at-the-airport/airport-security.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Hi

Flying to UK on Sunday - I've been asked to bring over homemade brown bread. Is it possible to bring over in hand luggage? (this is all i'm bringing as just 1 night)

I can buy some in the shops after security but just wondering what the story is with food - I can see plenty on liquids but just can't see anything in particular about solid foods.

Thanks in advance.

liquid is bad - as you may have a bomb.

food is good , as thats not likely to be a bomb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

Did you forget to include an ironic smiley there?

z

I'm not sure how to to take this....I'm confused..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

The short answer is that the airport security folks don't care about solid food, only liquids so you should be fine. You can bring on badly decomposed egg sandwiches from last week and that's not a problem (to them). But 101ml of toothpaste and it's the bin. 99ml of tooth paste is fine though.

z

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You'll be grand OP.

jinkybhoy wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to to take this....I'm confused..:)
    liquids are banned as terrorists had a number of plots to use liquid explosive to blow up planes, and its very hard to tell liquid explosives apart from normal liquids in a scanner aparantly.
    So you just ban people bringing any decent amount of liquid

solids are grand as the scanner can tell if they are explosives or not

now....
    why hurleys are banned as handlugage, thats a proper mystery
    (actually, I have it now. Its to stop you using it to break into the cockpit possibly ! )

liquids are banned as terrorists had a number of plots to use liquid explosive to blow up planes, and its very hard to tell liquid explosives apart from normal liquids in a scanner aparantly.
    So you just ban people bringing any decent amount of liquid

solids are grand as the scanner can tell if they are explosives or not

Thanks lads for that - homemade bread on its way and now i don't have to pay ridiculous prices at the airport!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I suspect it would be slightly easier get someone a job in the airport than invent some mysterious liquid that causes havoc.

OP, they will have no issue with brown bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Maybe there's a bomb in the bread?

Advertisement