Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything Pink Floyd.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

Just listened to it there...hmmmm

Definitely Pink Floyd, very mixed bag of styles but it all works. It reminded me at times of Radiohead, especially 'Talkin Hawkin', very similar to "Fitter, Happier".

I listened through itunes on my laptop with cheap earphones so I'd imagine on a record player it would be very intense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

No sign of it being shipped yet from Amazon grrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

No sign of it being shipped yet from Amazon grrr.

Its on Spotify already, if you find yourself unable to wait! Gonna give it a listen later on myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I have it. Its in my hands. I just got the regular CD, 12.99 in HMV (vs 14.99 in Tower). First new Pink Floyd album I've ever bought (my brother bought me the Division Bell).

Booklet is nice (though I prefer a good ol' jewel case), its a lot like the "On An Island" box. Nice photos within. The cover doesn't look as bad in the flesh than it does online, and there's no text on it at all, just the image. Back image is nice too.

Interesting to see what kind of production touches Youth has brought to the party, if they are noticeable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

Bought the 2 disc deluxe box set CD/Blu Ray, just listening to the CD at the moment but I will give the blu ray full volume tonight. Some great sounds so far. Not easy knowing this will be their last album.

434CC7637E2B4497A166DD5D4C8BD832-0000362898-0003691913-00640L-D438D7B1136C4B23953DAB1EC1D15656.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

rednik wrote: »
    Not easy knowing this will be their last album.

I know. But they've had a good run. And they can keep on playing live as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭rednik

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I know. But they've had a good run. And they can keep on playing live as long as they can.

I doubt we will ever see Floyd tour again. David has a new album out next year and will probably do a small tour to promote. Roger is also rumoured to be working on a new album which if true will probably see him tour also.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I've told this story here before...

A good friend of mine got a ticket to see floyd in earls court. The Pulse tour. We were all sickened with jealousy, and he made the most if it! On the day of the show he over indulged on the happy tobaccy to get into the right 'mood'. Got to his seat and feel asleep, only to wake up as people were leaving the venue. Missed the lot.

He's been closer to the band, but I've sen them live as many times as he has.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Mayo Yid

Giving it my first listen now, it's good, it's like a continuation of the Division Bell which I liked. Prob need to get stoned to appreciate it

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

It reminds me of an album sold by Peruvian pan flute playing buskers on Grafton Street.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

It reminds me of an album sold by Peruvian pan flute playing buskers on Grafton Street.

The tacky cover looks quite appropriate then.

If it's anything like the Division Bell (excepting Take it Back) I'll probably give it a wide berth.

Chelon wrote: »

If it's anything like the Division Bell (excepting Take it Back) I'll probably give it a wide berth.

The album could be summed up with a five word review:

An endless river of sh*te.

Chelon wrote: »

Don't mind the above "review"; its less like Take It Back and more like Cluster One / Marooned from that album.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

From what I've heard so far it sounds like exactly what it is. Re-edited outtakes from long ago.

Recognizable but bland. And I'll still probably buy it.

Well that it what it is, but if you like the outtakes from years ago, then there's nothing wrong with that!

You can hear the new bits too. There's loads more keyboards. Hardly any "songs". So there's nothing like A Great Day For Freedom or What Do You Want From Me. Its much more laid back and while there are loads of guitar solos its not much like Division Bell.

It is exactly what I was expecting, an album of ambient music. Not songs. Music. A nice conclusion to their career, I think. Anyone expecting a new Dark Side of the Moon will be disappointed though!

Don't mind the above "review"; its less like Take It Back and more like Cluster One / Marooned from that album.

The album sounds cheap, incoherent and lazy. While I can appreciate the nostalgic value of the album, as well as it ultimately being a tribute to Richard Wright. I feel it's the worst "Pink Floyd" album to date, in every way; the title, the artwork, the theme/concept and most importantly the music. For a band, or should it be for members of band, which was best known as a 'progressive rock' act this album is far from progressive and, in my opinion, is nothing more in the Pink Floyd catalogue than a final cash cow.

I'd recommend anyone who's on the fence about buying it to give it a few listens on-line first before parting with your cash. I can see why some Floyd fans will like this album. I'm not one of them, but maybe that's because I didn't listen to it with 'pink-tinted glasses' on. Each to their own, I suppose.

The album sounds cheap, incoherent and lazy. While I can appreciate the nostalgic value of the album, as well as it ultimately being a tribute to Richard Wright. I feel it's the worst "Pink Floyd" album to date, in every way; the title, the artwork, the theme/concept and most importantly the music. For a band, or should it be for members of band, which was best known as a 'progressive rock' act this album is far from progressive and, in my opinion, is nothing more in the Pink Floyd catalogue than a final cash cow.

I don't agree at all. If you're talking about "incoherent and lazy" Floyd albums, there's plenty of others to choose from. Ummagumma for one. The Final Cut for being boring and let's face it, not a Floyd album at all. And as much as people go on about Saucerful of Secrets, most of it is pretty below par - they admitted as much themselves.

The artwork isn't brilliant, I'll give you that. However album artwork has suffered immensely, even since the 90s, as not only are people missing vinyl artwork sizes, they aren't even seeing artwork at all, if they are streaming or playing off an iPod.

The title is fine. Is it anything worse than A Momentary Lapse of Reason, or Delicate Sound of Thunder? Probably not.

So far I'm enjoying the first half more than the second - the first is slower and more ambient, the second more "band-y" and therefore sounds closer to Division Bell-era Floyd. Its all down to whether you like Division Bell-era Floyd, and over the years I've grown to really enjoy that album. High Hopes, Marooned, Poles Apart, even Take It Back have become favourites. Its not comparable to Meddle or Dark Side, but what is? Is In Through The Out Door comparable to Led Zeppelin II? Of course not.

The production is better than both post-Roger Waters albums, there's less gated snare or big reverbs. And because Gilmour isn't singing all over it, it doesn't feel like a Gilmour solo album (which Momentary Lapse actually is - read the credits).

And I don't know where you get "cheap". If anything, it sounds expensive. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Christmas came very early this year...

EndlessRiverandBell.jpg

I noticed something yesterday, and maybe someone else can confirm this:

ROGER WATERS IS ON THE ALBUM.

If you listen to the voice clips on the first track, we clearly have Mason, then Wright, then Gilmour says something nearly inaudible, and then... I'm convinced the final voice is Waters. I don't know what he says but its definitely the same nasally speaking voice we've all come to know so well.

Check it out and tell me if you agree.

• Advertisement

I noticed something yesterday, and maybe someone else can confirm this:

ROGER WATERS IS ON THE ALBUM.

If you listen to the voice clips on the first track, we clearly have Mason, then Wright, then Gilmour says something nearly inaudible, and then... I'm convinced the final voice is Waters. I don't know what he says but its definitely the same nasally speaking voice we've all come to know so well.

Check it out and tell me if you agree.

It does sound a lot like him in fairness but I doubt if he would've given his permission for his voice to be used! But then again, maybe its not his call if its a very old recording. Who knows!

Maybe he did give permission!

Or like you say, maybe it was owned by Pink Floyd Ltd or something so they could use it. It could be lifted from the Pompeii movie.

Maybe he did give permission!

Or like you say, maybe it was owned by Pink Floyd Ltd or something so they could use it. It could be lifted from the Pompeii movie.

I doubt if he'd have wanted anything to do with it, he described the Division Bell as "absolute rubbish from start to finish", although he does seem on better terms with Gilmour/Mason these days. You never know I guess!

I'd say his bitterness was less to do with the album's content and more to do with the fact that it actually existed. His comments about TER seem to be neutral if anything. He hasn't stated his opinion one way or another, which one would've expected Roger to do almost straight away.

Gilmour seems to be more anti-Roger than Roger anti-Gilmour. Gilmour only last month said again in an interview that the Live 8 rehearsals convinced him he didn't want to do it again. I just wonder exactly what went down in those rehearsals. Obviously nothing too bad or he (and Mason) wouldn't have done that Wall show, or the other acoustic show they did.

I'd say his bitterness was less to do with the album's content and more to do with the fact that it actually existed. His comments about TER seem to be neutral if anything. He hasn't stated his opinion one way or another, which one would've expected Roger to do almost straight away.

Gilmour seems to be more anti-Roger than Roger anti-Gilmour. Gilmour only last month said again in an interview that the Live 8 rehearsals convinced him he didn't want to do it again. I just wonder exactly what went down in those rehearsals. Obviously nothing too bad or he (and Mason) wouldn't have done that Wall show, or the other acoustic show they did.

I listened to a very good interview with Dave a while back and he said that there's often times when hes in the studio and thinks "I could really do with some input from Roger". I think the thing about Waters is that he's a true autocrat and wants to take control of everything. He's probably better as a solo artist because it gives him complete freedom over his career. He's never struck me as a guy who was best suited to be in a band, which is a shame because the combined efforts of Gilmour/Waters created some of the greatest rock music ever recorded. Gilmour was asked in the interview whether he'd ever work with Waters again and his answer was "Never say never, but unfortunately it just wouldnt work". Shame, but it is what it is at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

The Endless River is a soundscape.
    Very ambient and unmistakable Floyd.
    Richard Wright is more prominent on this album than any other in the bands history.
    I do think the first half of the album skips from piece to piece too quickly and never really settles but from Talkin' Hawkin' on it really hits its stride.
    I would have liked a long guitar piece from Gilmour ala "On the turning away" or dare I say it "Comfortably numb", rather than just fleeting moments to support the synths. But overall I think its a solid body of work.

For me the song at the end is the least interesting and probably most disappointing aspect. It would go unnoticed on a Gilmour solo album. Dunno, maybe I need to give it a few more listens.

I agree, there are a lot of short moments but I suppose that helps navigate through the whole thing. I wonder what it would've been like if they'd made one long 23-minute track, and then a couple of individual tracks, a la Meddle or Atom Heart Mother. In a way they have done that, its just we have the ability to flick from one to the next.

I really do wonder what Roger thinks of this... his beef was always with the lyrics, I can't see how he could fault the music as much. Like we mentioned above, he said that Division Bell was rubbish but I really do think he was concentrating on the lyrics, as musically its quite strong.

Video for Louder Than Words:

Its a nice contrast to whats being released nowadays and a throwback to the days when bands could just experiment and play "aimlessly" just for the fun of it with no pressure. Dunno how often its going to get played on my mp3 player but its a nice listen nonetheless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I'm still not sure what to make of it. There are some lovely passages on it, nods to the past and a nice insight into just what Rick added to Pink Floyd's sound. I didn't come to this with great expectations so I'm not disappointed but I can't help but wish there was more. Still, I don't feel the same disappointed empty feeling I did when I heard On An Island

Advertisement