Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Glasgow Megathread**

• 06-06-2010 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

I've an offer of a place in Glasgow Caledonian University which I'm interested in accepting. I've visited the Uni itself and it's nice however I have also travelled around the city centre and surrounding areas, to get a feel for the place and see if there was any decent areas close to the Uni but couldn't find any - the place is a kip.

I'm not a snob, a prude, stuck up in any way etc. etc. The inner city area, especially around the Uni is just not somewhere I'd want to live for the next four years.

Does anyone know of any nice areas to live not too far from Glasgow Caledonian University?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

What about the student halls im staying in the hamilton ones for UWS just 10 mins from glasgow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭SM01

I'm living with my girlfriend who isn't a student so sudent accomodation isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Hello,

I just accepted an offer for Glasgow Caledonian also! I have relatives over there so I will be staying with them until I get sorted. I'm 26 applying as a mature student.

kieran--f - how are you liking it??

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭kieran--f

Ive only been over for a weekend or 2 so far im moving this september if I get the grades in my leaving cert but it looked really good when I was over there

The halls that I will be in are only a mins walk from the uni. The bedrooms have single beds wardrobe bedside cabnet and a computer desk. Wireless Inc in rent

The kitchen/ livingrooms big enough for a decent party. There's two Fridges a couch n dinning table n chairs. The showers and toilets are all seperate.

Glasgow town itself is massive your spoilt for choice on a night out no matter where your standing your within a stone throw distance of a club or a subway so what more could you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm looking for somewhere in Glasgow too, I'm starting a masters in September in Glasgow Uni (I'm 21), preferably not student accom though - I've had enough of it after two years. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

I have an interview for the MSC in Occupational Therapy in G.C.U next week. To go or not to go? What is it like? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭louloubella

Did you go to GCU in the end? I posted a reply below.

After 6 months of living here, I don't think Glasgow is a bad spot at all. I had preconceptions about the place that have since been proven unfounded. The city centre isn't really a kip at all (as I incorrectly said in my first post) and the people have all been pretty sound so far!

Like all decent-sized to big cities you take precautions when you're out and about, especially at night but I've seen nothing that would put me off.

I've had no problems with the locals (though the accent can be tricky to decifer at times!) and I live in a very busy part of the city centre.

GCU is a compact Uni but the teaching standards are quite high and on my course they are quite progressive. I'm enjoying my course and while it's not perfect and there's room for improvement, the lectures are very helpful, professional and they're good craic too.

If I was being very picky, the only downsides to Glasgow in my opinion are quite minor:

1. Not a lot of green spaces
    2. It's very wet - wetter than what I'm used to in Dublin
    3. The accent is tough to get at first

I hope that's a help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peppermills

Hi,

Glad things are goin well. We're moving to Glasgow in September, I'll be studying a PhD and my boyfriend hopes to get some work there.
    Arranging viewings for next week. Would love to have something in place for when we arrive but may have to stay in a hostel til we find something in september. My priorities are just to feel relatively safe walking home and that the accommodation is within our budget (~450 a month but if we have to go higher, we'll have to go higher). I would think the majority of places are fine if you're not looking for trouble but its difficult to tell what an area is like from here.
    Found one place that seems too good to be true, it's well under the going rate for its spec. I'm guessing this is because of its location, right on the doorstep of parkhead. Any advice?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pipee

Hi peppermills,

I'm in much the same situation as you, heading over to Glasgow to do a PhD in October. Was talking to a guy in the group over there yesterday and he was saying that places in the city centre and west end were nice parts to live and Dennistoun on the east side was alright and a bit cheeper. Its a much bigger city than what i'm used to, and giving a bit of a look at some places its no harm the subway is around. I've no idea what around Parkhead is like. I havn't been to Glasgow yet to be honest. Best of luck anyway and tell us how you got on when you do find a place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 peppermills

Hi Pipee,
    Just back from looking for a house, parkhead one was gone but took one on Duke st, just to the west of Cumbernauld Rd. Wide range of value for money even amongst flats which were very close to each other. ~480/mth, 2 db bed, double glazed, gas. Free parkin!! Seems this way in most residential areas, couldn't believe it. Signed the lease so hopefully smooth sailin after this.
    Best of luck with the househunt and PhD

• Registered Users Posts: 10 EmilieJolie

Sorry don't know if this is even in the right place (!) But I'm starting in Glasgow Uni on Monday the 12th & just thought if there are any other Irish billy-no-mates heading over then I could let them know I'm there too! Or of course anyone else living there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Post moved to existing Glasgow thread

I'll sticky the Glasgow thread for now as there seem to be a lot of boardsies there/heading over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DMc2333

Hi I'm moving over to Glasgow from Ireland in January 2012 to do a masters in physiotherapy.

Just wondering does anyone have any information or advice on accommodation over there? Or if anyone knows anybody else looking for accommodation or someone to flat share with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 EoinOCall

Hi,

Anyone know what Uni. Of Glasgow is like?
    I'm in 5th year but would like to go over there to do Sports Medicine and would like to know what the university is like and the surrounding area.

Thanks

Supposed to be a pretty good university. Not sure what sports medicine would be like there as its out of my field altogether. Area around the university is one of the nicest parts of Glasgow but can cost a bit more than other parts of the city because of that. Still though I think the cost of housing in Glasgow is cheap compared to living in one of many of the cities in Ireland.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Freudian slip

Thanks.
    Heard good things about Stirling as well.

I don't know much about Stirling, was thinking of going there today actually but i think its getting a bit late now. I haven't heard about the quality of the university there.

Thanks, Glasgow is the main one I'm aiming for anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DUBDUBDUB

I hope that's a help.[/QUOTE]

Erm, being Glaswegian living in Dublin let me point out

1. Glasgow has more green areas than any other city in Europe. Indeed , the city is "the dear green place" Glas being green in gaelic
    2. Dublin is by no means a tropical paradise, weather is pretty much the same folks
    3. Ever spoken to a traveller?? Ever been to Kerry? Not everyone speaks in the same unintelligible brogue. Besides, we usually understand you perfectly so one of us may be a bit thick eh?

• Advertisement

Take issue with the post and not the poster DUBDUBDUB.

In other words, neither of you are thick. The post you're referring to doesn't warrant hostility.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Christinalit

DUBDUBDUB wrote: »

I hope that's a help.

Erm, being Glaswegian living in Dublin let me point out

1. Glasgow has more green areas than any other city in Europe. Indeed , the city is "the dear green place" Glas being green in gaelic
    2. Dublin is by no means a tropical paradise, weather is pretty much the same folks
    3. Ever spoken to a traveller?? Ever been to Kerry? Not everyone speaks in the same unintelligible brogue. Besides, we usually understand you perfectly so one of us may be a bit thick eh?[/QUOTE]

looks like someones a bit defensive!! im sure the poster meant that he personally found the accent difficult to understand. Im sure you find some irish accents difficult to understand, just as some irish people find some scottish accents to understand.
    And he never stated that Dublin was a "tropical paradise" geographically speaking glasgow is going to be colder and wetter than Dublin and most of Ireland thats just a fact!
    And about the green areas that just could be to do with whatever part of Dublin you frequent or what ever part of glasgow the first poster frequents.
    Its all a matter of personal opinion!

I only saw DUBDUBDUB's response to my previous post just now however I stand firmly over the three comments that s/he took umbrage with. I've lived in Glasgow since, well see my posting dates and am presently living between Glasgow and Edinburgh so I think that makes me a decent authority on the city.

1. I live on Sauchiehall Street, 15 mins walk away from Cally university and the nearest green space I can find is Kelvingrove which is a lovely spot, (a park along the lines of Stephen's Green) but apart from that there's no green spaces of any worth nearby. I'm a student so I'm not in a position to get into a car and drive further afield.

2. The rain. Look, no matter what way you spin it Glasgow and the west coast is wetter than Dublin. Dublin is wet but Glasgow's that bit rainer. Go look at the met office rainfall figures and see for yourself.

3. The accent. I wasn't giving out about it I was talking about acclimatising to it. It's tricky at first, that doesn't make it an unplesant accent, just it's not easy to decipher at first if you're not used to it.

Finally, the vast bulk of my post was positive but you jumped on the defensive immediately. You could have done Glasgow a service and elaborated on the positives I spoke about but no, you decided a dig was the clever thing to do which is a bit of a shame.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Anyone here study in University of Glasgow? Opinions on the place? I'm hoping to transfer to their Computing Science course in 2013 (I'm probably far too late for 2012) so any thoughts about that course are also very welcome. :P

Hi Fluorescence,

I don't study there but it seems to have a good name in general. It is a gorgeous university and in a really nice part of the city. Can't say much about the course itself except I've met a few graduates and they all seem to be employed in the field.

EDIT: Shows that I've been working in an office for too long when I put forum posts in letter form, almost signed my name to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Packing in the job and heading for an MSc in Information Technology in Glasgow Uni, starting in September :)

This thread is pretty dead - anyone around?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 walshbadger

Leaving Cert done and dusted :) Moving to Glasgow in the next few weeks to study Physiotherapy.

Pretty nervous but excited about the whole thing to be honest. Just wondering was anyone else heading over? Or does anyone have any info of any sort about the place? What to do, gaa clubs,transport, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated lads :D :cool:

Moved to NI & GB Colleges

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Bubbles93

pow wow wrote: »
    Moved to NI & GB Colleges

Hey! Have a look on th site The Student Room if you haven't done so already! It's a great one for the UK unis :D I'm from Tipperary, moving to Edinburgh to study psychology! Did the leaving cert last summer and one year college course in psychology last year! Can't wait to move over super excited!! :D where are you from??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Blu_flamez

Leaving Cert done and dusted :) Moving to Glasgow in the next few weeks to study Physiotherapy.

Pretty nervous but excited about the whole thing to be honest. Just wondering was anyone else heading over? Or does anyone have any info of any sort about the place? What to do, gaa clubs,transport, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated lads :D :cool:

Hello! I'm also moving over to study Neuroscience!
    Which university are you going to and have you ever been over?

Advertisement