Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

29-04-2019, 10:25   #661
Hurrache

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangeR View Post
Shame on you money grabbing Newstalk.
It's a Communicorp Newscorp thing, they also do it on Today FM (current one is for Virgin Media). They don't seem to be doing it on their other stations such as Q102. It has been amusing in the past when they had injected ads for gambling firms during segments on gambling addiction.

I do also wonder if it contravenes advertising standards when it comes to gambling and alcohol advertising during shows during the day when kids listen, but I don't know if such restrictions exist, or if they apply to internet radio streams.

All it does is have me switch to RTE instead during the drive time shows in order to avoid it, so the advertisers are reaching at least one less in their audience.

Last edited by Hurrache; 30-04-2019 at 09:37.
Advertisement
29-04-2019, 10:54   #662
RangeR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrache View Post
It's a Newscorp thing, they also do it on Today FM (current one is for Virgin Media). They don't seem to be doing it on their other stations such as Q102. It has been amusing in the past when they had injected ads for gambling firms during segments on gambling addiction.

I do also wonder if it contravenes advertising standards when it comes to gambling and alcohol advertising during shows during the day when kids listen, but I don't know if such restrictions exist, or if they apply to internet radio streams.

All it does is have me switch to RTE instead during the drive time shows in order to avoid it, so the advertisers are reaching at least one less in their audience.
Very good point. I may try out RTE for my talky shows and dump Newstalk. Injecting ads over an actual person discussing a topic is terrible practice.
30-04-2019, 08:56   #663
Harry Palmr

INM sold to a Belgian media group. Wonder if NT and Today FM will be left alone or not.
30-04-2019, 09:02   #664
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Palmr View Post
INM sold to a Belgian media group. Wonder if NT and Today FM will be left alone or not.
Think INM covers the print media outlets but Today FM and Newstalk amongst others are owned by Communicorp.
O'Brien has (had) large shareholding in INM but owns Communicorp outright.
Thanks from:
30-04-2019, 09:35   #665
Harry Palmr

Ah right. Carry on
Advertisement
30-04-2019, 09:38   #666
Tell me how

Quote:
Ah right. Carry on
Have always hated the name Communicorp. Always think it is like something owned by the villain in a Batman or Robocop film from the 90's.
15-05-2019, 09:13   #667
plodder

I know all FM suffers in good weather like this, but the last two mornings I've noticed the Newstalk signal is much worse, where I was, than nearly all other FM channels in Dublin. Yesterday, I couldn't pick it up at all north-west of Swords, and today the signal wasn't consistently okay until I got to the airport.

Last edited by plodder; 15-05-2019 at 09:17.
15-05-2019, 13:11   #668
Tell me how

Quote:
Originally Posted by plodder View Post
I know all FM suffers in good weather like this, but the last two mornings I've noticed the Newstalk signal is much worse, where I was, than nearly all other FM channels in Dublin. Yesterday, I couldn't pick it up at all north-west of Swords, and today the signal wasn't consistently okay until I got to the airport.
Came down from Belfast today. Was fine since about Dundalk for me.

I do notice it's always poorer range than RTE does. Seems impossible to get in car on coast in Clare or Kerry.
19-05-2019, 13:03   #669
Harry Palmr

Did anyone hear the news headlines at midday? The first sentence of every item was partially repeated and it wasn't the live newsreader behaving weirdly - it sounded like it was off disk and someone didn't check for errors.
Advertisement
19-05-2019, 18:38   #670

Quote:
Did anyone hear the news headlines at midday? The first sentence of every item was partially repeated and it wasn't the live newsreader behaving weirdly - it sounded like it was off disk and someone didn't check for errors.

I heard that as well. Thought someone had printed it out wrong and he was just reading what was on the printout.

It was really funny in a "I'm Ron Burgundy ?" kind of way.
19-05-2019, 19:46   #671
robo

I am enjoying Susan Keogh's 8am weekend Newstalk Breakfast show - she is coming into her own. She is definitely improving on her interview skills and in particular her interview this weekend with Kathleen Chada and a few weeks ago she had Mary McAleese on.
(3) thanks from:
22-05-2019, 19:03   #672
wmpdd3

Possible not the right place for this, but I'm enjoying George Hooks new weekly podcast.

The election coverage will be interesting as it will go up against Ivan's.
28-05-2019, 21:28   #673
technocrat

Is Shane Coleman possibly the worst presenter on radio? He’s so PC its unbearable!
This morning he was discussing the infamous TD/swing case and had Mattie McGrath on the line who righty said ‘Did you ever hear the like of a grown up looking to be supervised on a swing!’.

Coleman rushed to the TD’s defence saying she is entitled to sue and also stated she used the legal services of fellow TD Josepa Madigan.
He qualified this by saying there was nothing wrong with using the legal services of a fellow TD.

He has strong opinions on Brexit, Trump & housing but on something like this he has nothing to say just mute!
28-05-2019, 21:58   #674
ButtersSuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by technocrat View Post
Is Shane Coleman possibly the worst presenter on radio? He’s so PC its unbearable!
This morning he was discussing the infamous TD/swing case and had Mattie McGrath on the line who righty said ‘Did you ever hear the like of a grown up looking to be supervised on a swing!’.

Coleman rushed to the TD’s defence saying she is entitled to sue and also stated she used the legal services of fellow TD Josepa Madigan.
He qualified this by saying there was nothing wrong with using the legal services of a fellow TD.

He has strong opinions on Brexit, Trump & housing but on something like this he has nothing to say just mute!
He's not even the worst presenter or the most PC host on that show, let alone radio. Kieran Cuddihy could out-PC Coleman any day of the week.

Also, if Mattie McGrath is speaking more sense than you, you've already lost the argument.
28-05-2019, 22:27   #675
technocrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtersSuki View Post
He's not even the worst presenter or the most PC host on that show, let alone radio. Kieran Cuddihy could out-PC Coleman any day of the week.

Also, if Mattie McGrath is speaking more sense than you, you've already lost the argument.
Yes agreed on Cuddihy, it’s the main reason I rarely listen to breakfast NT these days.
I am far from a McGrath supporter but he nailed the point here.
If Pat Kenny was the host I could imagine him agreeing with McGrath but Coleman paused awkwardly and chickened out from saying anything.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion