Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garden Bench

Options
  • 16-05-2019 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a big job on the small rear garden at the moment, Building a block built shed and while I'm at it I'm building block raised beds. I've left a gap between two raised beds where I intend to bridge the gap with sleepers by way of a bench. I'm starting to doubt myself that they may be too rough to use as a bench top.

Any thoughts... ? I could sand them down but I dont want to remove the water replant treatments on them either....

These are what I was intending to use...

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/new-sleeper-treated-beam-200x100mm-2-4mtr.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

FWIW there is no water repellent on that product, the treatment is to prevent rot.

The brown colour is a dye added to the treatment, I'm not sure I'd want to sit on it in light coloured clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

.... valid points... yes I should have said rot treatment... but i take your point about the staining ...I dont know what to do now!

The plan was to top the block raised beds with a sleeper like a capping so to speak... and then run this into a bench also. I guess I could keep the sleepers for the top of the raised beds...Do you think it would be a better bet to use something like this for the bench lats which could be sanded and varnished?

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Treated-Rough-Sawn-Timber-100x44mm-2.4-Metre-4x2-8ft-.html?filter_set[]=20,266,1395

or another thought... could I sand and varnish the top side of the sleeper? is the colored dye impregnated in the timber or just on the surface? as in would it sand off... I dont want to end up with a bench looking like a dogs dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

TBH I'd avoid that crappy treated softwood.

I use untreated oak. It's not that much more expensive, it ages beautifully but you can stain it/oil it if you grow tired of the way it naturally greys over time. And then eventually you can cut it up and burn it in a stove.

I got mine from mcnamarafencing.ie a couple of years ago. This is a pic of them in the yard. They were twenty something euros each.

IMG-20170509-172214605.jpg

Advertisement