Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Learner/Newbie Sticky **All Learner/newbie/Starter Questions Go here!!****

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

What's the going rate for IBT with a bike rental these days? 29 & Looking to train to get the full motorbike licence but price sensitive!

Cost me €500 to do Category A IBT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Cost me €500 to do Category A IBT

Cheers. Jesus you really get nailed in year 1 between the high insurance, bike purchase & the IBT

Cheers. Jesus you really get nailed in year 1 between the high insurance, bike purchase & the IBT

I'm still in my first year (technically, had a provisional years ago, it lapsed so i had to start again)

IBT €500
    Insurance €400 fully comprehensive on a DL650 V-Strom & Yamaha Aerox Moped,quote was given/policy bought on a learner permit with 0 NCB.

The bike is the one area where the you control the price, my bike wasn't cheap but that was what i wanted in the end.

Passed my test just after new years.

Policy is up for renewal in July.

Went from IBT to full licence in just under 6 months from the time i did the training.

Have you eyes on a particular bike? I take it you want to do the full A? If you're over 24 you can do direct access, i.e go straight for the A IBT and then the A test.

I'm still in my first year (technically, had a provisional years ago, it lapsed so i had to start again)

IBT €500
    Insurance €400 fully comprehensive on a DL650 V-Strom & Yamaha Aerox Moped,quote was given/policy bought on a learner permit with 0 NCB.

The bike is the one area where the you control the price, my bike wasn't cheap but that was what i wanted in the end.

Passed my test just after new years.

Policy is up for renewal in July.

Went from IBT to full licence in just under 6 months from the time i did the training.

Have you eyes on a particular bike? I take it you want to do the full A? If you're over 24 you can do direct access, i.e go straight for the A IBT and then the A test.

Yea I was going to go straight for the A as I'm 29, im a little over 100kg so looking to get something around 600cc like a bandit or cbr. Ideally I'd love a bobber style bike but they're fairly expensive.

Do you not get a refund once you tell the insurance company that you passed the test? That happened me when I passed my car test.

Yea I was going to go straight for the A as I'm 29, im a little over 100kg so looking to get something around 600cc like a bandit or cbr. Ideally I'd love a bobber style bike but they're fairly expensive.

Do you not get a refund once you tell the insurance company that you passed the test? That happened me when I passed my car test.

Better off going for the A.

I'm 115kg myself on the DL.

Bandit would be no problem had one myself and loved it, i couldn't get insured on a CBR600F unless it was the 1998 model with Carole Nash or Principal on a learner permit. MCE did quote me but i was told at the time they were pulling out of the Irish market.

I wouldn't know much about bobber's, no doubt many of the other guys around here would.

No refund on passing the test,i was told 'it will be reflected in your renewal quote' i'm expecting the insurance to halve with an NCB and full licence under me if i'm honest.

You do get the refund for the car test, don't ask me why it's different with the bike, they couldn't explain it when i asked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

I paid €440 for full A cat IBT. best price around from a guy based in thomas davis gaa club in Tallaght. he has an ad on done deal. nice guy in fairness.

Nozebleed wrote: »
    I paid €440 for full A cat IBT. best price around from a guy based in thomas davis gaa club in Tallaght. he has an ad on done deal. nice guy in fairness.

Cheers, tallaght suits me actually

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Have an A1 licence that I got when passing the car test in the uk back in 1989. Transferred to irish licence in mid 90s, So have a full A1 on irish licence for over 20 years. If I wanted to move up to A2 what would I need to do in terms of training modules. No big interest in the full A licence at my age(50). Having never done a theory test or IBT what is my situation? Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 994 Mod ✭✭✭✭LookBehindYou

myclist wrote: »
    Have an A1 licence that I got when passing the car test in the uk back in 1989. Transferred to irish licence in mid 90s, So have a full A1 on irish licence for over 20 years. If I wanted to move up to A2 what would I need to do in terms of training modules. No big interest in the full A licence at my age(50). Having never done a theory test or IBT what is my situation? Thanks.[/QUOTE
    ..................................................................................

1, www.theorytest.ie............ apply for theory test for Motorcycle.

2 : www.ndls.ie ................... Apply for L/Permit in Category A2.

Contact a Motorbike Instructor to get a confirmation code from RSA for an upgrade.
    An upgrade will consist of a full IBT ,,, Modules, 1,3 and 5.

After completion of IBT,,,, go to ndls office to apply for a full A2 Licence which will enable you to ride a bike that is restricted to 35 kw.
    eg : A lot of cruisers fit in to that category. Suzuki Bandit, SV650, er6, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It'd be nuts imho to go through that just to get an A2, might as well get the A even if you only want to ride an A2 bike at this time.

I'm sure several of us here are older than you and I'm only a couple of years younger...

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

It'd be nuts imho to go through that just to get an A2, might as well get the A even if you only want to ride an A2 bike at this time.

I'm sure several of us here are older than you and I'm only a couple of years younger...

+1 to this. I'm 51 and Had been away from bikes for 33 years until this time last year. Get the A like Hotblack Desiato says. Leaves all options open.;)

To get an A, you would have to do a test. because its 2 steps up from a full A1

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

I hear what ye are saying about the full A. If I were to get the A2 Via the upgrade process would I need to do another training module before sitting the test for a full A?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I have a full A and AXA want me to do the IBT lessons.

myclist wrote: »
    I hear what ye are saying about the full A. If I were to get the A2 Via the upgrade process would I need to do another training module before sitting the test for a full A?

YES is the answer to that.
    But you could do only 1 IBT if you went for the A category and done a bike test.

horse7 wrote: »
    I have a full A and AXA want me to do the IBT lessons.

You may have misunderstood what axa meant.
    They meant to get a rider assessment, which is NOT IBT.

You may have misunderstood what axa meant.
    They meant to get a rider assessment, which is NOT IBT.

This is what i tried to explain to horse7 on another thread, he has posted this same question in 3 different area's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Understand thanks,it's an assessment they want

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

Is there a for-sale thread in here? I've a 2-piece Berik leathers that need to go to a good home.

Pique wrote: »
    Is there a for-sale thread in here? I've a 2-piece Berik leathers that need to go to a good home.

Here you go

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057833880/10/#post110007383

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭da wiseguy

Any tips on study for the full test?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

da wiseguy wrote: »
    Any tips on study for the full test?

Practice the route, learn the hand signals and signs. It's rare to fail on the latter, but it can happen if you get them totally wrong.

Aside from that, get out of the bad habits as much as possible. Literally spin your damn head around when approaching or taking any turns, because that's the hot button for all the testers. Always be moving your head -fully- on corners, and not just a glance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Yep, shoulder check everything. If you fart, shoulder check.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Practice the route, learn the hand signals and signs. It's rare to fail on the latter, but it can happen if you get them totally wrong.

Aside from that, get out of the bad habits as much as possible. Literally spin your damn head around when approaching or taking any turns, because that's the hot button for all the testers. Always be moving your head -fully- on corners, and not just a glance.

Thanks Sonics!

I'm taking it at Dun Laoghaire test centre - anyone done their test there recently to be able to advise on the route? I saw some posts elsewhere here re route (from January) but was for cars - not sure if it is essentially the same route for bikes too.

zubair wrote: »
    Yep, shoulder check everything. If you fart, shoulder check.

:D

Hopefully the tester won't be too close behind me to get a face full of gas as he drives through :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,867 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do a pre-test with an instructor familiar with the area - they'll know the test route backwards and give you all the tips on the "gotchas" on the route.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

I have a learner tabard. XL/2xl.

Anyone wants it for free PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JCbiker

I have a learner tabard. XL/2xl.

Anyone wants it for free PM me.

I'll take it off your hands if your Dublin based and pass it on when im done with it. (hopefully 6 months) 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Xodar

Apologies if this has been asked before: What is the initial cost to start riding?

Bike purchase cost €5,000 (and insurance - will vary) ....what are the rest of the costs?

• Advertisement

I'm looking into getting a max 125 commuter moped and I'm confused about the licences. I have an A licence even though I've never ridden a bike. Got my licence in 1999, was this normal back then?

Assuming I'm licenced, then what steps do I need to take to get on the road? I will obviously be taking lessons no matter what. Would IBT be enough for my own (and others!) Safety?

Also, what are peoples opinions on a Suzuki Address 110 for a 10km daily commute on local roads?

Lastly, should I buy the scooter first and then get lessons or do you generally get provided a bike and do your lessons first?

Much appreciated :-)

Advertisement