Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas out of season 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Christmas puddings in the financial news today !
    I had not heard about this Company before.
    Birmingham’s 2 Sisters Food Group is understood to be seeking a buyer for its Matthew Walker Christmas puddings-maker in a deal which could be worth around £80m
    Matthew Walker, the world’s oldest Christmas pudding maker, was founded by a farmer’s son in 1899 and supplies retailers from Aldi to Harrods.
    The business manufactures branded and own-label puddings at a factory in Derbyshire and employs around 120 people.

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/westmidlands/news/2029218-food-group-looks-to-sell-world%E2%80%99s-oldest-christmas-pudding-maker

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One of our clients (a well known Irish brand) makes Christmas Puddings for sale in their retail stores, when on site at their central production hub recently I walked past about 50 pallets of them in their cold stores all ready to rock for the coming season. Their full run is usually completed by the end of may. They then start their run of mince pies which will remain in production up until the end of November.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That's amazing insight info, thanks DVB !
    (For some reason, I had assumed that they would only make the puddings from Aug/Sept onwards).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

DvB wrote: »
    One of our clients (a well known Irish brand) makes Christmas Puddings for sale in their retail stores, when on site at their central production hub recently I walked past about 50 pallets of them in their cold stores all ready to rock for the coming season. Their full run is usually completed by the end of may. They then start their run of mince pies which will remain in production up until the end of November.

Be shame if one of those pallets was to get 'lost'! nod...nod...wink...wink

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    That's amazing insight info, thanks DVB !
    (For some reason, I had assumed that they would only make the puddings from Aug/Sept onwards).

So did I.
    When seeing them I asked where they left over from 2018 & was given the background on their production runs.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

Wow DvB - whatever about puddings, I can't believe mince pies are being made that far in advance!! And then when you buy them they have only a couple of weeks before the best before date...now I know why :D:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I'd buy them all year round, if that were an option... Ah well, I can always dream.

chuckles30 wrote: »
    Wow DvB - whatever about puddings, I can't believe mince pies are being made that far in advance!! And then when you buy them they have only a couple of weeks before the best before date...now I know why :D:D

I always thought that was to make you eat them quicker and buy more!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

TRS30 wrote: »
    I always thought that was to make you eat them quicker and buy more!!

Me too :D

• Advertisement

chuckles30 wrote: »

Apparently they go on Sale in September with that month being only second to December for sales, and not by much either apparently.

Obviously people get excited when they see them in September & buy them, then theres obviously a hold off for a bit until closer to Christmas itself when the majority of sales happen.

I love mince pies & whilst it would be easy to say I'd eat them all year around if available I suspect its the fact their available for a limited time each year that adds to their appeal. Roll on September!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,144 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

We'e one jar of Tesco Finest Mincemeat and one Chivers in the press!

We'e one jar of Tesco Finest Mincemeat and one Chivers in the freezer!

For emergencies :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,310 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Apparently they go on Sale in September with that month being only second to December for sales, and not by much either apparently.

Obviously people get excited when they see them in September & buy them, then theres obviously a hold off for a bit until closer to Christmas itself when the majority of sales happen.

I love mince pies & whilst it would be easy to say I'd eat them all year around if available I suspect its the fact their available for a limited time each year that adds to their appeal. Roll on September!!:D

Sorry, but I disagree. It's the fact that they're yummy that adds to their appeal. Imagine if ice-cream was only available during the summer! :eek:

'Christmas in June' at Leopardstown Racecourse.
    Is anyone going ?
    If Yes, please report back !
    https://www.buzz.ie/entertainment/christmas-movie-drive-cinema-experience-coming-dublin-next-month-326232

otnomart wrote: »
    'Christmas in June' at Leopardstown Racecourse.
    Is anyone going ?
    If Yes, please report back !
    https://www.buzz.ie/entertainment/christmas-movie-drive-cinema-experience-coming-dublin-next-month-326232

Looks good fun and not bad value at €36 for a car. Unfortunately we are away that weekend.

She was drawing in chalk on the path out the back on Saturday. When I asked her what she was drawing, she said Christmas trees.

The force is strong in this one :)

Latest instalment.

In the bath last night belting out one of the songs from their Christmas show......'When Santa got stuck up the chimney...'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

My little girl told me this morning that she has picked a story for tonight's bedtime - "maaammmm, I picked the Christmas one"! :D

CheerLouth wrote: »
    My little girl told me this morning that she has picked a story for tonight's bedtime - "maaammmm, I picked the Christmas one"! :D

Sometimes they make you so proud :)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

Argos has Christmas lights reduced

http://www.checkargos.com/search?q=Christmas+lights

• Advertisement

Argos has Christmas lights reduced

http://www.checkargos.com/search?q=Christmas+lights

Don't tell the missus, Christmas lights are her vice!

Got really nice Christmas cushion covers from Ali Express this morning. They are lovely. I'll buy some stuffing for them and they'll be great! :D

Got really nice Christmas cushion covers from Ali Express this morning. They are lovely. I'll buy some stuffing for them and they'll be great! :D

My other half loves that website. I thought they only did clothes however if they have Christmas stuff, I might have to take a look!

My other half loves that website. I thought they only did clothes however if they have Christmas stuff, I might have to take a look!

They do everything - you name it, you can find it on Ali! It just takes ages for delivery because it all comes from China.

They do everything - you name it, you can find it on Ali! It just takes ages for delivery because it all comes from China.

She keeps telling me how cheap it in and the more she buys the more she saves!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Hahahaha :D

Flicking through the tv listings yesterday & saw a couple of christmas specials listed on one of the gold/comedy channels... though I suspect thats a regular enough occurrence seeing as everything is repeated over & over on them.

Home Alone 2 last night on E4... decided to go with the last episode of Chernobyl instead this time though! Next time, game on!

• Advertisement

Home Alone 2 last night on E4... decided to go with the last episode of Chernobyl instead this time though! Next time, game on!

Love to know how many times a year they show either of these films. They always seem to be on!

Is Chernobyl as good they say it is? A lot of talk about it around the office these days.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement