Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

08-05-2019, 09:10   #16
fletch

Yeh got the same email....that's disappointing as I have an IFTTT recipe that notifies me if there is activity in the house while I'm away

On August 31, 2019, Nest will be retiring its Works with Nest program. In turn, Nest services on IFTTT will no longer work due to this change.

The services impacted are:

Nest Thermostat
Nest Protect
Nest Cam
Your Nest Applets will remain active until the end of August, when they will then be turned off and removed. We will send another reminder before Nest Applets are turned off permanently.

For more information, please see Nest's FAQ.

At IFTTT, we believe every thing works better together. We look forward to working with Google and others to help consumers benefit from and control their data.

Thank you for your understanding.

The IFTTT Team
Advertisement
28-11-2019, 16:56   #17
tweek84

So what programs or appa are people using now instead of Stringify?
Its that time of year where i need to get my heating control working
28-11-2019, 17:14   #18
davidod1

I'm using Hubitat. It's extremely versatile and because it's a hub and local, it's very fast. If your heating is Nest controlled you will have a problem for some time to come as Google have shut down the option of 'Working with Nest' It's expected that this will become possible again at some time in the future.

There is a little bit of a learning curve with Hubitat, but with that you get the ability to expand your system to quite sophisticated levels.

When I moved, quite a number moved to Tasker then, of course there is IFTTT, albeit not as versatile as Stringify.
29-11-2019, 09:42   #19
wexfordman2

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidod1 View Post
From what I understand; you need to use a Pi or equivalent to go the Home Assistant route. Does that not mean that it'll either be difficult or complicated and indeed risky to set it up so that you'll be able to access or use it or receive notifications away from home.

Like most; I used Stringify for the simplicity of being able to link and automate various devices; in my case Nest, Hue and TP-Link. I can control devices and receive notifications of events whether home or away.

From what I understand; a home-based hub like SmartHub or SmartThings won't replace a cloud-based platform like Stringify. Am I incorrect in that? I know that a Pi is a lot more than just a basic hub, but will it not be subject to the same limitations?

A home hub of whatever type is perfectly capable of doing what stringify did for you, albeit probably a bit more complex to setup. The likes of home assistant or openhab (same family) are incredibly powerful, well worth the effort in setting up, and can give you pretty much all the features you would be looking for, full re vote access etc, especially with openhab cloud which gives you remote access to your hub.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion