Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Watch Purchase

• 03-05-2019 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I've decided to take the plunge and buy a proper watch for myself and I'm looking for your advice.

I've identified the watch I want on paper, but I would like to try it on to make sure I like it. The problem is that it's a lesser known brand and nowhere in Ireland appears to stock it. I'm not sure if a retail outlet in Ireland would ship it in just for me to try, or is this something that is readily done for potential customers?

The watch is a Maurice Lacroix Masterpiece Chronograph Skeleton 45mm. Sorry I am unable to post a link or image as I am a first time poster. I understand that this watch will divide opinion in taste and will most likely be difficult to sell on but that's not a concern for me.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Well wear!
    It doesn't matter what the brand is, if it gives you pleasure, then that's all that matters.

Certainly is an interesting marque.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Looks Stunning, Ryanair flight to london in your future maybe.

479392.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Weirs definitely stock Maurice Lacroix watches. I assume they could order that for you. But it might be cheaper from Harrods in Heathrow T2 due to the 17% vat rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Time wrote: »
    Weirs definitely stock Maurice Lacroix watches. I assume they could order that for you. But it might be cheaper from Harrods in Heathrow T2 due to the 17% vat rebate.

That's only if flying out if the EU.

Weirs stock them alright, not sure if they have that model but they might.

Cool piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,734 ✭✭✭893bet

I think it looks good! Might be massive on wrist.

Advise buying in sterling and getting a discount. Depreciation of 60% is to be expected from RRP in the first year.

• Advertisement

2shea wrote: »
    That's only if flying out if the EU.

No the discount is standard across the board at Heathrow, only cigarettes and alcohol are actually duty free.

Time wrote: »
    No the discount is standard across the board at Heathrow, only cigarettes and alcohol are actually duty free.

As far as I am awear you have to show your ticket showing you are flying out if the EU. I couldn't fly to Heathrow buy a watch for 17% less,

(which is English tax) and fly back to Ireland.

The guys that do that are meant to declare the watch on return to UK or Ireland and pay the (duty on it)

Anytime you buy a watch from outside of the EU you must pay the VAT on it also.

Americans availing of that service in Heathrow are also meant to declare it on entering the States.

I have seen many an empty Rolex or Omega box left in airport rest rooms. (Maybe because there was no room in their bag :) )

2shea wrote: »
    As far as I am awear you have to show your ticket showing you are flying out if the EU. I couldn't fly to Heathrow buy a watch for 17% less,

(which is English tax) and fly back to Ireland.

The guys that do that are meant to declare the watch on return to UK or Ireland and pay the (duty on it)

Anytime you buy a watch from outside of the EU you must pay the VAT on it also.

Americans availing of that service in Heathrow are also meant to declare it on entering the States.

I have seen many an empty Rolex or Omega box left in airport rest rooms. (Maybe because there was no room in their bag :) )

Ok well you’re free to ring Harrods or WOS and ask about their pricing policies, but they effectively discount by the equivalent amount of vat due. Go look at the WOS website and compare the price for a watch to the same one in their T5 shop and you’ll see that even when you enter an Irish bound flight number the price is the high street less vat

Similarly you can purchase a laptop in Dixon’s Dublin airport for far less than anywhere else and collect it on the way back after you’ve cleared customs. The price is the same no matter where you fly but the collect is only available if your outbound is to another EU country, so you 100% can buy discounted luxury goods and bring them back here from Heathrow with no liability for any payment to revenue

OmegaGene wrote: »
    How long do you spend in airport toilets
    You really thinks a lot of people are throwing away the boxes and papers in toilets
    Jesus

I have seen a few, for sure.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OmegaGene wrote: »
    How long do you spend in airport toilets
    You really thinks a lot of people are throwing away the boxes and papers in toilets
    Jesus
    Oddly enough OG, in 2005 or 06, can't recall exactly, I saw a Rolex box in a jacks in Madrid airport. It was empty of the watch, but had all the booklets and trimmings. Naively I imagined somebody left it behind by mistake, so I handed it in to one of those help desk places and the only surprise the woman at the counter exhibited was over the fact I'd handed it in.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm just sorry I didn't keep it until today and fire it up on ebay, the Rolex halo would get a few beer tokens. :D Back then the Rolex craziness of today wasn't really a thing, or if it was it passed me by at the time.

A couple of years back I read an article on illegal money movements by dodgy people and organisations and the like and it mentioned things like art and watches were being used for this purpose more and more and how customs and airport security were being trained in watching out for it. I think this was in the US. Rolex were mentioned, but apparently these were a little too obvious and well known. Vintage was a thing as they're harder to trace. Steel cases would make way more sense than gold too. Movement of money using art and using the art world, including big names in that game has been going on for decades, where certain off radar artists get "agreed values" and are essentially proxies for cash. Watches would be a similarly good fit for that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

That watch will be massive on your wrist. Make sure you physically try it on somewhere before buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 df03

Thank you for all the replies. Yes, I am aware that the watch will be rather large and I intend on trying on before deciding to buy it.

Yes Weir's do stock ML but the specific watch is not on their website, I will call to see if they stock it.

If not, a trip to the UK could well be on the horizon!

Advertisement