Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squawk as you see fit (Off Topic Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Rawr

GBX wrote: »

(Clicks link....adds to Basket.)

Good thing it's complete with afterburner....otherwise I wouldn't want it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

These are some pretty impressive climb rates even for a corporate aircraft... the 4 **** indicate a rate greater than 10,000 feet per minute.

46699814605_944382dee5_c.jpg

47562449062_e202447b0a_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The fûcking Garda chopper has been hanging around my street, well over my street the last 35 minutes at a relitivly low level at 00.49... rendering my chance of sleep...low as well... I just hope whoever is being sought trips over their brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,881 ✭✭✭✭zell12

OIkx6Ls.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

zell12 wrote: »
    SNIP

That looks a tad unfortunate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Noxegon

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/after-two-faulty-boeing-jets-crash-the-trump-administration-blames-foreign-pilots/2019/05/15/e940a692-774e-11e9-b3f5-5673edf2d127_story.html?utm_term=.fd670e31d175

Mod Note Link does not work if you have ad blocker enabled

I suspect the 737 Max recertification in Europe may take a lot longer now...

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Oh boy oh boy. Talk about strong words. The thing is, most of the professional analysis I've seen on the matter disagrees completely with the assertions being made. There doesn't seem to be much room for fact based cool discourse in the US any more on a whole range of issues, which will erode their place in the world faster and faster I'd say. Personally as an EU citizen I wouldn't like EASA to be waving through FAA certificates anymore without robust sense checking. And I'd say a lot of airlines and their pilots, who have some clout at decision making level, will be looking at this and wondering if there's anything Airbus etc might do to increase capacity over the coming years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Niki Lauda

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Actually the more I hear and read about Boeing the more I do not want to fly in any of their new products.
    First there were all the issues with production of the dreamliner in their cheap labour plant in Charleston.
    Then there were the thermal runaways of the lithium ion batteries.

Now it seems that they have been allowed to self certification for the FAA.

And the 737 Max just shows the corners they have cut in software design and even worse the fact they can't be assed letting their customers know the full issues with their systems.

Now the US authorities and administration are blaming others for their failings.

How many people picked up on an article written only in Feb of this year where Boeing management were planning to "streamline" it inspection processes.
    In the last quarter of 2018, Boeing failed one element of its quality control audit on the 747, 767 and 777 legacy airplane programs in Everett, a setback in its plan to shift its quality system to one that relies on fewer inspectors overseeing the work of mechanics.

Quality inspectors at Boeing, angry at management’s plan to streamline and automate some quality-control processes with fewer inspectors overseeing the work of mechanics, point to a recent quality-control audit that missed one of its targets as evidence that the company’s effort is unwise.

Boeing plans to eliminate up to 900 quality- inspector positions as part of a sweeping transformation of its manufacturing system over the next two years. The idea is to move away from reliance on inspections by a second set of eyes to find any defects after a mechanic does a job. Instead, Boeing is redesigning tasks to make it easier for mechanics to get things right first time, and deploying smart tools and digital technology to track and monitor quality.

Boeing is now all about the share price and are cutting corners at every opportunity.
    And it seems when the sh** literally hits the fan it is the fault of foreigners.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Onboard a flight to SCQ that's still at the gate 20mins after scheduled. Jesus lads, maybe don't tell the pax that the delay is due to a "minor defect being addressed". Flight is mostly auld wans and I suspect panic may set in

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

All off on the Camino no doubt. Reminds me of the flight I was on into Dubrovnik that was mostly pensioners going to Medjugorje, slightest bump of turbulence and they'll all have the rosary beads out!

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You usually fly to Barca or Porto and walk to Santiago but I believe some less physically capable people just go to the cathedral. Abnormal number or PRM getting assistance for instance.

Last time I took this flight a few years ago the outbound was basically empty and the inbound was rammed with a heavy luggage load - and basically no kids either way. But it seems to have picked up more demand since including families

Weather is awful here so it was a very bumpy approach and what felt like either a higher speed landing or impeded braking

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Santiago is a nice enough place too with great tapas bars - went there for a weekend 2 yrs ago as Vueling offered cheap fares ex LGW for weekends at the time. Bugger all to do during the day but at night people come from nowhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭DecTipp

Hi I'm just after coming back from london where airport security was very strict and rightly so , but I came across this article
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6425057/What-hed-terrorist-Mail-Sunday-reporter-gets-INSIDE-Ryanair-jet-London-Stansted.html

It sounds unreal that a baggage handler can have free reign where he can manage to get into a plane unsupervised,

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

if he was a terrorist he could easily have hidden an explosive device in a suitcase with devastating results.

No mention made of how they would expect him to get any device airside. Pretty sure ground crew go through similar security checks to passengers when they arrive for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato
    Restaurant at the End of the Universe

What next?
    CREW members have access to COCKPITS SHOCK

It took a while but I don't mind. How does my body look in this light?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

The Daily Mail does like to overly dramatize everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭Zonda999

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9289901/boeing-747-sunk-underwater-theme-park-bahrain/

NINTCHDBPICT000497414039.jpg?w=960

Alternative to the boneyard anyway! Story says its former reg TF-AAA. Air fleets says this was originally a Malaysian 747-200 first flying in 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Two fighter jets were sent to accompany a plane back to London as a woman was causing a disturbance on it. Reasonable enough to go back if she was being a danger, but what help would the jets be? Even if they were supposed to shoot the plane down if it showed signs of doing a 9/11, dropping a plane on London would hardly be an improvement? Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I suppose in the unlikely scenario of people gaining access to the cockpit and taking control.of ghe plane, they would shoot it down over countryside rather than have it crash into the city centre, buck palace, houses of Parliament or Vauxhall Cross etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,939 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It doesn't bear thinking about - but I suppose that must be it. Fighter jets alongside your commercial flight is not exactly the cavalry in that case, is it!

Israeli officials have blamed Russian military in Syria for disrupted GPS at the state's biggest airport.

A number of pilots are said to have lost satellite signals from the Global Positioning System around Tel Aviv's Ben Gurion Airport over the last few weeks.

The government said yesterday that measures were in place to allow safe landings and takeoffs at the terminal as a probe got underway into the disruptions.

This morning, Israeli officials blamed Russia - only for Moscow's embassy in Israel to dismiss the 'fake' clams that they 'couldn’t respond to seriously.'

Fake claims my "a5se", we can normally pick up 9-12 satellites, but in that area it drops down to ZERO, also applies to Beirut. So what exactly is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

smurfjed wrote: »
    Fake claims my "a5se", we can normally pick up 9-12 satellites, but in that area it drops down to ZERO, also applies to Beirut. So what exactly is going on?

Same over large sections of Iran at the minute too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Brennus335 wrote: »
    Same over large sections of Iran at the minute too.
    Possibly in relation to ongoing tensions?
    During 1991 Gulf War the US reduced accuracy of GPS over Iraq in an attempt to impend their armed forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Russia jammed GPS a couple months ago during a NATO exercise, it's rather trivial to do.

ED E wrote: »
    Russia jammed GPS a couple months ago during a NATO exercise, it's rather trivial to do.

They have to jam their own system (GLONASS) to really cause problems these days - it isn't encrypted, there is no method to do selective availability on it and all modern kit can receive GPS/GLONASS/Galileo at the same time anyway if required/designed to.

Fog of war isn't that useful when it makes your own kit useless.

When screwing up civil aviation somewhere you don't fly to there's no risks of course

• Registered Users Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bit of a random one here, have a full set of a magazine called wings (in binders) from the late 70's about 10 volumes would anyone be interested (before it gets skipped)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

How the other half live. Fitting out your private 747.

https://twitter.com/Enrique77W/status/1169882666293837824

EDxCCsjVUAAoJDw?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement

And this is how they look.

Welcome to my world :)

Advertisement