Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking Trousers

• 17-02-2019 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭

Which hiking trousers would you guys recommend, was up Slieve Donard last week and and the legs nearly fell off me from the wall to the top, it wasnt cold enough for base layer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭tphase

currently using Patagonia Tribune pants - light, stretchy and comfy but unfortunately a bit pricey
    Also have a pair of Salewa lined trousers, great for cold weather. Don't know what model but I picked up cheap in TKSmacks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,956 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

If you don't need waterproof and want a good hard wearing middle ground not too hot not too cold then you could do worse and dearer than Craghopper Kiwi's. Lots of pockets and quick drying, pockets a plenty and room for base layers underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

+1 for the Craghopper Kiwi. As mentioned they're not waterproof but are very quick drying if they do get wet. I have a summer pair and a fleece lined winter pair, both very hard wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

+2 for the Craghopper Kiwi trousers. And comfy enough to wear around the house as "casual" trousers. In fact i'm wearing them in the office today (and hoping the boss does not spot them and then send a company-wide e-mail regarding suitable office dress sense).

• Registered Users Posts: 64,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel

+3

Cheap as chips when you find them in a sale somewhere, very light to wear and quick drying. During the hot summer last year I was wearing the shorts on many days, more comfy than any other clothes I own :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

dogmatix wrote: »
    +2 for the Craghopper Kiwi trousers. And comfy enough to wear around the house as "casual" trousers. In fact i'm wearing them in the office today (and hoping the boss does not spot them and then send a company-wide e-mail regarding suitable office dress sense).

The buttons fall out and the pockets rip, at least on any pair I've had that has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I'd never put on waterproof trousers unless I actually needed them to stay dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

tphase wrote: »
    currently using Patagonia Tribune pants - light, stretchy and comfy but unfortunately a bit pricey.

Just get in early when the sales are on and get them at a good prices.
    Or wait a couple of weeks, get them cheaper, but in a colour you wouldn't wear by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The buttons fall out and the pockets rip, at least on any pair I've had that has happened.

I find the front trouser/fly buttons do tend to come off after a year or so - when it happens fit some metal replacement buttons (available at tesco). All you need is a hammer! Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/East-Majik-Button-Replacement-Buttons/dp/B01N4RA7LT

Never had a problems with pockets or zips though.

unkel wrote: »
    +3

Cheap as chips when you find them in a sale somewhere, very light to wear and quick drying. During the hot summer last year I was wearing the shorts on many days, more comfy than any other clothes I own :p

Even when full price their wares come in a good deal cheaper than many other outdoor brands.

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    I find the front trouser/fly buttons do tend to come off after a year or so - when it happens fit some metal replacement buttons (available at tesco). All you need is a hammer! Something like this - https://www.amazon.com/East-Majik-Button-Replacement-Buttons/dp/B01N4RA7LT

Never had a problems with pockets or zips though.

Have a pair of Classic Kiwi 3 years now and I've had zero problems with them. Only button issues I have are with the waterproof and showerproof ones, and that's solely down to me being too big for their snug waists :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

Sorted Bought a pair of jack wolfskin Drake flex delighted with the easy to wear wind proof wore them twice €45

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Have two pairs, Montane Terra (lightweight, strong and nice zipped pockets) for spring summer etc.

Fjallraven Greenland Jeans for winter cold weather use. Heavy, bombproof and, as far as I can see, the Fjallraven hiking trousers with "the least" amount of pockets. I don't like trousers with cargo pockets hanging off every available space.

Both I wear around town etc. Perfik.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,282 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

+4 for the Craghopper Kiwi trousers. got two pairs i betws y coed in the cotswold sale a couple of weeks ago.

have two pairs of rab ones butthey dont make them anymore which are brilliant

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a pair of Berghaus that have served me well for many years, but the cheapskate in me can't wait for Decathalon to open their first store in Ireland.

In the meantime:
    https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/catalogsearch/result/index/?dec_genders=6498&q=hiking+trousers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

+4 for the Craghopper Kiwi trousers. got two pairs i betws y coed in the cotswold sale a couple of weeks ago.

Half price in Debenhams at mo.

https://www.debenhams.ie/sale/men/trousers/craghoppers

Advertisement