Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 6) *Read Mod Note in Post 1* Revised 13-01-19

1848586878890»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Stuxnet wrote: »

UFC flexing it's muscle now and McTapper having his toddler tantrum.

Anyone who uses the name "McTapper" really sounds like a 12 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

CQD wrote: »
    Well he's not the sharpest tool in the shed in fairness..
    His fairly hefty bank account suggests otherwise.

Patiently waiting for the fight announcement now that he's said he's retired.
    Few casuals I'm friends with reckon he retired as he didn't want a rematch with Khabib..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Time to close the thread considering we can't discuss anything non MMA fight related.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Time to close the thread considering we can't discuss anything non MMA fight related.

Yeah..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

His gimmick is based of Money Mayweather,
    Who you guessed it also retired multiple times to return to a bigger fan fair,

• Advertisement

His gimmick is based of Money Mayweather,
    Who you guessed it also retired multiple times to return to a bigger fan fair,
    Doesn't work quite as well when you announce your retirement after going on TV and saying you want to fight in July :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Pussyhands wrote: »

How about you let the mods worry about the thread and whether it should be closed or not? If you have nothing of value to add to the discussion then it would be better to not post at all..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Anyone who uses the name "McTapper" really sounds like a 12 year old.
    Hi you must be new, if I joined when I was born as per my join date, Id be 14

He probably has retired. Rematch with Khabib is most likely another defeat. Rematch with Diaz is not a gimme either.

He has barely fought over the last few years. He would realistically need to have a few easier fights to get back to a high level.

I don’t think he’s motivated to put in the work.
    He wants the money and he has plenty of other ways of getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

This was only last week. Doesn't look someone whos about to retire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'm convinced he only came back for the Khabib fight to promote his whiskey. Every promo piece was him drinking it, the logo on the apron. All his interviews I've seen since are all about Proper 12 and AM, fighting is always the last thing he talks about or is asked about. His heart wasn't in that camp, he came in 6-8 weeks before in **** shape I'm told. He hadn't fought in 2 years or trained for a camp, anyone talking it serious would of done atleast 12 weeks.

People aren't going to buy a whiskey of a retired fighter, so he has stayed as active as little possible, while keeping in the headlines.

He got his token title shot now the UFC don't know how to use him as his name is still too big for a co main.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

With the brawl after and the fact McGregor is the only person to take a round from Khabib in UFC theres plenty of money there for a rematch. More than the first. It would be the biggest fight in MMA history.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

<SNIP>

Mod: No discussion of ongoing legal issues/court cases or anything related - this has been said multiple times

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭TomasMacR

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm convinced he only came back for the Khabib fight to promote his whiskey. Every promo piece was him drinking it, the logo on the apron. All his interviews I've seen since are all about Proper 12 and AM, fighting is always the last thing he talks about or is asked about.

I wouldn't say 'only came back' but I would say definitely motivated and totally distracted by it.

He hopped into the octagon and started pointing (or slapping, can't remember) to the branded logo. When would you ever see the likes of that in the highest level of any sport, particularly when it is a full contact 1 vs 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Ariel reporting its over the diaz trilogy more or less. Ufc says they have no interest in it and conor wants it. Ariel more or less calling dana a liar cause dana implying they dont need conor. Ariels balls have dropped asume its cause espn is king now and dana cant ban him

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

The Nal wrote: »
    With the brawl after and the fact McGregor is the only person to take a round from Khabib in UFC theres plenty of money there for a rematch. More than the first. It would be the biggest fight in MMA history.

I dont think there is any hope of a rematch pulling the same numbers. It might hit 2m, but I would imagine a lot of casual fans who bought into the hype the first time got their fill of Khabib dominating Conor first time round. A lot of people see a rematch as a forgone conclusion given the nature of the last fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Honestly, you'd be mad to think McG v Khabib 2 wouldn't do insane numbers.

At this stage Conor could fight his local binman over a grudge and do major PPV. People underestimate his draw, the genuine MMA fans are only a small piece of that particular jigsaw, and always were in his later fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,858 ✭✭✭cletus

Stuxnet wrote: »
    Hi you must be new, if I joined when I was born as per my join date, Id be 14

Ah, it's definitely possible for a fully grown man to sound like a 12 year old

• Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Honestly, you'd be mad to think McG v Khabib 2 wouldn't do insane numbers.

At this stage Conor could fight his local binman over a grudge and do major PPV. People underestimate his draw, the genuine MMA fans are only a small piece of that particular jigsaw, and always were in his later fights.

Americans absolutely love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

rob316 wrote: »
    Americans absolutely love him.

And they are pretty forgiving of scum bag behaviour from their sports stars.

• Advertisement

His spokesman published a statement, I cant/wont post it in its entirety as it relates to something else, however a small portion of it is relevant to the current topic (retirement) as we can read between the lines and take this as Conor's explanation for why negotiations broke down and he announced his retirement.

476390.jpg

To me thats Conor saying the UFC are not giving him enough respect for what he's done for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Raekwondo

dave1982 wrote: »
    Ariel reporting its over the diaz trilogy more or less. Ufc says they have no interest in it and conor wants it. Ariel more or less calling dana a liar cause dana implying they dont need conor. Ariels balls have dropped asume its cause espn is king now and dana cant ban him

They already kinda have though, UFC get to pick who does events like Brett Okamoto doing octagon walks on broadcast and stuff. Ariel said it himself. He'll never be doing that stuff.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Lads some posts deleted..do not attempt to derail the thread and go towards a topic you are fully aware is not to be discussed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

<snip>

Mod: Already multiple warnings..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2019/03/26/mcgregor-announces-ufc-retirement-ahead-of-ufc-comeback/

The Dublin man’s announcement has had a knock on effect elsewhere as Joe.ie has sadly ceased trading and fired its 400 journalists as its business model was heavily reliant on the 60-Conor-McGregor-articles-a-day industry.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Definitely another faux retirement.

Must be crazy to stick out one strangely worded tweet and see it make world news and social media go into meltdown. Between that and all the Mayweather cash is it any wonder it went to his head.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mdwexford wrote: »
    Definitely another faux retirement.

Must be crazy to stick out one strangely worded tweet and see it make world news and social media go into meltdown. Between that and all the Mayweather cash is it any wonder it went to his head.

Imagine chilling at home with your friends having a laugh and saying “watch how I can cause a meltdown with this one tweet”, then 15 minutes later seeing not only every sports outlet but also the likes of Sky News and the BBC etc covering it.

Madness :pac:

Confirmation fron Dana that he was trying to put Conor as co-main to possibly a HW title fight. (Cormier vs Lesnar)
    And Conor was having none of it.

https://www.mmanews.com/dana-white-explains-why-conor-mcgregor-was-offered-a-co-main-event-fight/

Thread Closed.

New thread open here

Make sure to read the first post in relation to the new thread and the updated charter.

Axwell

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement