Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

how easily could you be doxed on boards?

• 11-03-2019 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Without sharing anything in this thread about you or anyone else, how easily do you think it would be to dox you just using the info you've posted on boards or one link deep (eg a link to Facebook or donedeal etc)? I.e if someone tried, could they find the real you, your address, phone number?

I'm on a mobile so I'm going to trawl through my history later, but I'm sure people could get my real name, my town and probably a lot more.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

in 20 seconds I found out your name is Karl and you like running in longford you'v e a 151 Leaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Very easily.

From just your post here I know your first name, your town, where you work, what at least one of your kids looks like, your handle on FB, and at least one club you are a member of.

I have an idea of your surname, but not confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭KAGY

Its amazing how much info I've posted up in the 13 years.
    And if you take what you know and google, you'll have my phone number and face on the first page!

Most of the info I know I've put up there, but was the photo of my child from a link to another website?

I also see a big leak of my data happens once you link my profile to parkrun.

Infosec is probably not the right place to ask (I'm sure you've all covered your tracks) but does anyone else want to volunteer for a quick "audit"?

KAGY wrote: »
    Most of the info I know I've put up there, but was the photo of my child from a link to another website?

Im presuming its your child on the FB cover pic (thats if it IS your FB).

I didnt spend a huge amount of time on it (like 10 minutes) - if I was stalking you properly I could probably have found a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

in 20 seconds I found out your name is Karl and you like running in longford you'v e a 151 Leaf

Edgeworthstown. Having an Adverts.ie item for sale (and the same ID as on Boards) makes it easier to get the real name -- ask to look at something, get a phone number and (probably) the real location of the home.

• Advertisement

victor8600 wrote: »
    Having an Adverts.ie item for sale (and the same ID as on Boards) makes it easier to get the real name -- ask to look at something, get a phone number and (probably) the real location of the home.

Eh - well dont dox him!! Maybe remove the town name from your post? I have removed it from what you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

OK so party at yours like it or not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭victor8600

....... wrote: »
    Eh - well dont dox him!! Maybe remove the town name from your post? I have removed it from what you quoted.

I cannot edit the post as it is too old now. I suppose a mod can just delete my post if needed.

I cannot edit the post as it is too old now. I suppose a mod can just delete my post if needed.

Ahh well I lead you to it! Still a bit of a eye opener. The strange thing for me is that I slipped up more in the recent past when I should have known better!
    BTW I'd be fairly confident you've moved to g* co. WW within the last few years :-P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would say someone could find out about me in detail if they so wished. There is even a photo of me buried somewhere on the site. I normally just proceed on the assumption that no one would be arsed digging too much.

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I would say someone could find out about me in detail if they so wished. There is even a photo of me buried somewhere on the site. I normally just proceed on the assumption that no one would be arsed digging too much.

Challenge accepted :-D

JK, couldn't be arsed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I'm curious now. Why can anybody tell me about myself?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm curious now. Why can anybody tell me about myself?

You watch shyte TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Doubt it. I'm pretty cautious with information. (or so I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,572 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Everything I post is a lie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I could do it on boards as most people (myself included) post stuff that is a dead giveaway.

I kept warning my flatmate to be careful with some of the stuff he was posting online. He set me a challenge.

He was watching a 6 year old video on YouTube about photography from the USA and I said I could find tons of info about a person in the background so he said go on...

One hour later I could show them that persons Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, home address, parents social media, parents address, family members. I knew which school and college they attended.

All from a quick appearance in a YouTube video.

So yeah.. Be very, very careful!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Interestingly doxing is against boards.ie ToU

A certain poster on boards I came across was threatening doxing as he didn't like any criticism of his comments. I believe he got off lightly as he claimed he was having some type of meltdown or something - yeah for sure.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Edgeworthstown. Having an Adverts.ie item for sale (and the same ID as on Boards) makes it easier to get the real name -- ask to look at something, get a phone number and (probably) the real location of the home.

I never actually thought of that. Think I'll see if I can change my adverts handle!

antodeco wrote: »
    I never actually thought of that. Think I'll see if I can change my adverts handle!

I did. It is so easy to workout where someone lives just by a picture.

If you are ever selling a car/motorbike etc take pics away from your house.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

prinzeugen wrote: »
    I did. It is so easy to workout where someone lives just by a picture.

If you are ever selling a car/motorbike etc take pics away from your house.

It's more me thinking that I've posted about what cars I have. Someone could then get my number and address from adverts very easily. They could ask to meet, find out I'm not there and off you go. Feels like a rookie mistake!

Also, who did you contact to change the name?

• Advertisement

antodeco wrote: »
    It's more me thinking that I've posted about what cars I have. Someone could then get my number and address from adverts very easily. They could ask to meet, find out I'm not there and off you go. Feels like a rookie mistake!

Also, who did you contact to change the name?

Nobody. I opened a second account just for selling stuff that is stealable. I didn't cop on until there was 3 attempts to steal a bike I had on adverts within a week of me posting the add.

Me, like an idiot, took pics in my driveway with a good view of the street in the background. Anyone with a spare hour could workout where I lived and where the bike was located.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,231 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I know what you did last summer

Advertisement