Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Martha Nussbaum lectures @ UCD, 5 & 6 June

• 26-05-2018 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭

I occasionally look on EventBrite for anything interesting, and note that Prof. Martha Nussbaum is scheduled to deliver two free lectures at the Sutherland School of Law soon:
    • 5 June: Fear, Anger, and the Politics of Blame (sold out - waiting list)
    • 6 June: Accountability in an Era of Celebrity (tickets)

Both start at 6PM. The 5 June lecture is in a smaller theatre (195 seats) than the one to be used for the 6 June lecture (320 seats), so I speculate that if there's enough interest in the waiting list, they could move it to the bigger theatre and release more tickets.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

If you are willing to discuss the philosophical implications of Martha Nussbaum's lectures here, that would be grand, especially if you are attending her lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Thanks for the notice on this. I really enjoyed it....

Curious to know was that a boardsie either asking the question on Fury’s or the last question?

I have to admit I found it heavy at times but I think I got the general narrative. .... when my head unmelts a bit and I can reflect on it!

If somebody is going tomorrow my suggestion is not to use the nobel prize as some sort of qualification for a person you respect!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Drumpot wrote: »
    I have to admit I found it heavy at times but I think I got the general narrative. .... when my head unmelts a bit and I can reflect on it!
    Please do comment here on the "general narrative," and especially any philosophical implications.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Black Swan wrote: »
    Please do comment here on the "general narrative," and especially any philosophical implications.

I'm not educated in the field of Philosophy so my ability to interact and discuss it is limited.

However I understood that the elementary idea was that anger appeased through retribution is not a sound guiding principles to achieve justice. I really enjoyed the history of where the concept of legal system came from and how its core reason (to address law of vengeance) is sort of corrupted now in the eye for an eye mantra. "I demand justice".

I wanted to ask a question but to be frank was kind of worried that my lack of experience in this field would make my question out of place, wasting the time of such a respected Philosopher. Particularly when people were quoting all sorts of historical literature when asking their questions.

I felt that at the core of her lecture was the suggestion that regulation, responsibility and self reflection are important individually and in movements. Her examples of Gandhi and Martin Luther King in contrast to Malcom X was actually a really good way of explaining her point. For me, its a good example of where movements (through violence, animosity, hate, bring others down) can be toxic and people can get lost in the "equality by any means" instead of how to stick to the core goal of everybody being equal.

Again, perhaps I am interpreting the lecture totally wrong but I heard that Love, compassion and empathy should be the cornerstone of all movements and justice systems. The legal system helping to usher in a more equal society as opposed to being the sledgehammer that bashes its way through inequality.

For what its worth that's what I took out of the lecture. I still haven't fully digested everything cause I found some of it heavy going. I am reading a very light hearted Philosophy book "The age of absurdity" very very slowly so I can ingest the information better. I found the lecture enlightening and very interesting but at times I found it hard to pay attention as I tried to digest some of the stories and points being made.

Edit: Just reflecting on it more i think the issue of resentment was also an underlieing point being made. How unhelpful resentment can be when trying to resolve an issue and get balanced retribution for a perceived crime. “Bankers got away with it”. Is it helpful to demonize them and over simplify the financial crisis to the solution equating to a mob with pitchforks burning the “witches”.

Drumpot wrote: »
    I'm not educated in the field of Philosophy so my ability to interact and discuss it is limited.
    No worries Drumpot. I found your discussion highly informative. I will reply when time permits. Thanks!

• Advertisement
Advertisement