Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rolex spotting

• 05-05-2019 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

How about a thread on seeing any hard to get Rolex models that might appear in ADs, not grey market dealers.

No matter where in the world you might see it.

Like has any one seen anything other then Oyster Perpetuals and datejusts here in Ireland lately?

Seen the 42 Explorer 2 both black and white dial versions also the Explorer 39mm and a two toned Submariner with blue dial and bezel in Hartmans galway there in january not sure if they are still there.

But they were telling me that they will no longer be an AD for Rolex come June or July of this year.

Been to the US a few times last year and the ADs over there had no SS professional sports models at all. Some two toned and gold alright, but none of the in demand steel models.

I have a feeling two toned Submariners will start to be come in demand because ss are so hard to get. I think they are pretty cool, very 80s/90s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

2shea wrote: »
    How about a thread on seeing any hard to get Rolex models that might appear in ADs, not grey market dealers.

No matter where in the world you might see it.

Like has any one seen anything other then Oyster Perpetuals and datejusts here in Ireland lately?

Seen the 42 Explorer 2 both black and white dial versions also the Explorer 39mm and a two toned Submariner with blue dial and bezel in Hartmans galway there in january not sure if they are still there.

But they were telling me that they will no longer be an AD for Rolex come June or July of this year.

Been to the US a few times last year and the ADs over there had no SS professional sports models at all. Some two toned and gold alright, but none of the in demand steel models.

I have a feeling two toned Submariners will start to be come in demand because ss are so hard to get. I think they are pretty cool, very 80s/90s

Doubt there will be too many people watching this thread. BOOM

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Gerry G wrote: »
    Doubt there will be too many people watching this thread. BOOM

Why do you think that? I think there is always people on the look out for a Rolex for birthdays and milestones. I'd buy a hulk if I got it at retail.
    Even a normal Sub no date.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Why do you think that? I think there is always people on the look out for a Rolex for birthdays and milestones. I'd buy a hulk if I got it at retail.
    Even a normal Sub no date.

Exactly! Same as anyone! Beg borrow and steal if needs be and sell tomorrow for 3k profit is the worst case!

Are Hartman’s really losing the dealership?
    That’s bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rootsblower

I posted on another thread that I tried on a 2016 hulk in Belfast on Wednesday the dealer was looking for £11500, eyewatering or what.

There’s nothing worse than being ridden hard and put away wet and knowing it’s happening to you.

I have a significant birthday coming soon and was hoping to get a sub date. I knew stocks were limited so I’d have to go on a wait list. One AD told me I had to have a relationship with the store to get on the wait list i.e spend a few grand and if we think it’s enough we will allow you to wait a couple of years to spend €7900 in our shop!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I posted on another thread that I tried on a 2016 hulk in Belfast on Wednesday the dealer was looking for £11500, eyewatering or what.

There’s nothing worse than being ridden hard and put away wet and knowing it’s happening to you.

I have a significant birthday coming soon and was hoping to get a sub date. I knew stocks were limited so I’d have to go on a wait list. One AD told me I had to have a relationship with the store to get on the wait list i.e spend a few grand and if we think it’s enough we will allow you to wait a couple of years to spend €7900 in our shop!!!!

And how much will it be worth once you buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,727 ✭✭✭893bet

Chiparus wrote: »
    And how much will it be worth once you buy it?

Sub date will hold its value to 100% or so.

Hulk will plus 30% the day you buy.

893bet wrote: »

Don’t mind paying retail and don’t care if it loses value. I’ll be wearing it for my own enjoyment. If the value appreciates that’s a bonus.

I think some buyers are only there to buy from an AD then flip it for a few extra bucks. The guy who wants to buy it as a forever watch gets the short straw as the supply can’t (or Rolex won’t) meet demand

Yep, thats why they may be hard to get?

Yep, thats why they may be hard to get?

Not necessarily up to a few years ago I remember seeing nearly all the various in demand SS models in various dealers both here and abroad yet they have always held their value.

So either supply has been tightened or demand has expanded. i Think it’s a bit of both but an employee in an AD told me Rolex is holding back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

+1000. Even if I was in the market for one that kinda thing would guarantee me pulling out of the market for one. The level of specifically engineered marketing always puts me off no matter what the product. Even as a kid I was like that. When Star Wars came out and we were all collecting the cards that came with chewing gum(which if you tried to chew would fracture your head) I got into it too, until after some frustration never getting particular cards, my dad explained to me how some cards were deliberately scarce to keep us buying the packs. Instant nope in my head and I gave the ones I had away to mates(dead popular I was). I've some pathological "that's not fair wah wah" gene or something. :D

Now if they were bespoke "handmade" genuinely scarce items there might be a case to be heard but Rolex produce something like a million watches per year. It's difficult to nail that figure down of course, but it's around that kinda number.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Don’t mind paying retail and don’t care if it loses value. I’ll be wearing it for my own enjoyment. If the value appreciates that’s a bonus.

I think some buyers are only there to buy from an AD then flip it for a few extra bucks. The guy who wants to buy it as a forever watch gets the short straw as the supply can’t (or Rolex won’t) meet demand

Totally agree my Explorer 214270 is going nowhere and it is for my enjoyment. I would however buy a Sub as a wearable investment with the extension of selling it on in the future (not a good investment as investments go watches are pretty rubbish maybe not so much though with the Rolex SS sports models bubble at the moment)

But I like them so I going to justify it to myself like that :)

Wibbs wrote: »
    +1000. Even if I was in the market for one that kinda thing would guarantee me pulling out of the market for one. The level of specifically engineered marketing always puts me off no matter what the product. Even as a kid I was like that. When Star Wars came out and we were all collecting the cards that came with chewing gum(which if you tried to chew would fracture your head) I got into it too, until after some frustration never getting particular cards, my dad explained to me how some cards were deliberately scarce to keep us buying the packs. Instant nope in my head and I gave the ones I had away to mates(dead popular I was). I've some pathological "that's not fair wah wah" gene or something. :D

Now if they were bespoke "handmade" genuinely scarce items there might be a case to be heard but Rolex produce something like a million watches per year. It's difficult to nail that figure down of course, but it's around that kinda number.

A million two tone Datejust and Oyster Perpetual :)

Exactly! Same as anyone! Beg borrow and steal if needs be and sell tomorrow for 3k profit is the worst case!

Are Hartman’s really losing the dealership?
    That’s bad!

Yes unfortunately, the girl in the Hartmans said it me, I asked why? she said something like Rolex are reducing the amount of ADs by a certain percentage world wide.

New for retail price.

Was that from that chap in Belfast? A new is from the AD is what €8500?

Not necessarily up to a few years ago I remember seeing nearly all the various in demand SS models in various dealers both here and abroad yet they have always held their value.

So either supply has been tightened or demand has expanded. i Think it’s a bit of both but an employee in an AD told me Rolex is holding back

I remember that too, before I had any real interest in the brand (Or money). But I still used to try them on.

I remember Weirs having both Submariners in Date and No Date even GMTs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A million two tone Datejust and Oyster Perpetual :)
    Oh sure :D but they're making many thousands of the "rare" models too. Then again the luxury goods environment is about perception of rarity so all bets are off. It appeals to humans on a very deep level from gotta catch em all Pokemon to 100 grand Hermes handbags or whatever. Plus we have to have a collective sense of rarity. Actual rarity doesn't cut it unless we're all in on the story. I could do a half hour trawl on ebay and probably find watches that are vanishingly rare, maybe even significant and likely for way less than a thousand quid, but they wouldn't be collectively seen as rare and special, but a mass produced Rolex, Omega, Tag etc would. And lets face it without the rare and luxury stuff we'd all be wearing 10 quid Casios, if we were wearing watches at all. Oh oh I went all philosophical. :D

And I can't talk either as I'm the same only I come at it from another angle, looking for the weird and actually rare that go under the radar. And as cheap as possible. Mainly as cheap as possible. :D There are a few of my watches that if I were given the choice of swapping one for a brand new Hulk or Sub, I genuinely wouldn't. I'd have to think very hard even if - and this is where my particular insanity comes in - I was allowed flip it for cash and maybe build up another collection(and it would be some collection).

So I defo get the madness. :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »

So I defo get the madness. :D

Nail on the head there Wibbs, It's madness alright :) the whole rare thing is 100% being cooked up by Rolex with holding back watches from the dealers and it's working well for them. (At the moment)

I remember that too, before I had any real interest in the brand (Or money). But I still used to try them on.

I remember Weirs having both Submariners in Date and No Date even GMTs

My wife bought me a GMT from Weirs last year, ( my second) did not realise there was a shortage.

Nail on the head there Wibbs, It's madness alright :) the whole rare thing is 100% being cooked up by Rolex with holding back watches from the dealers and it's working well for them. (At the moment)

Are they trying to drive Tudor sales?
    Will they just drives serious watch buyers to Breitling Omega hublot etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Threads like this and plenty like it make me want to continue buying Omega and leave Rolex to the Rolex people:confused:

Are they trying to drive Tudor sales?
    Will they just drives serious watch buyers to Breitling Omega hublot etc

Could back fire on them, doubt they are trying to boost Tudor sales.

I will be buying a Tudor BB36 but only because I like the watch.

Omega do make some fine watches and would put them in the same mass produced 4k to 8k for quality sport and dressy watches price point as Rolex. Even though both brands have more expensive pieces.

I wouldn't rate Breitling or Hublot in the same league.

Hublot are such over priced ugly watches with no heritage and loose there value so badly.

Breitling I just don't like the designs.

Bateman wrote: »
    Threads like this and plenty like it make me want to continue buying Omega and leave Rolex to the Rolex people:confused:

Fair enough I can see why.

I like omega too though they have some lovely divers and dress pieces.

Love the Aqua terra wish they still made it in a 36mm.

I love the last seamaster professional 300m (without the waves imo the dial) and think it's a nicer design then the Rolex Submariner, is love to ad one to the collection to on one day.

My wife bought me a GMT from Weirs last year, ( my second) did not realise there was a shortage.

Lucky you! Any tips on how getting the wife to do such a thing?

Did she have to order it in for you or had they one in the store?

It's a fake shortage.

Lucky you! Any tips on how getting the wife to do such a thing?

Did she have to order it in for you or had they one in the store?

It's a fake shortage.

I think it was ordered in , I don't know a lot about them, its a two tone gold/stainless steel model. They may not be in short supply.

She bought me a "coke" one before , and a "moon" watch before that, tip would be to marry someone who earns a decent crust.

I think it was ordered in , I don't know a lot about them, its a two tone gold/stainless steel model. They may not be in short supply.

She bought me a "coke" one before , and a "moon" watch before that, tip would be to marry someone who earns a decent crust.

I did but she wouldn't buy me one! maybe for my 40th. I think I'll buy her plain steel with black Oyster Perpetual 26mm or 31mm and hope she returns the favour.

Could seriously back fire though! But she is starting to get into watches a bit more after listening me bladder on about them to the last 15 years we have been together and seeing a few of the girls she works with wearing them.

She actually came home from work last week saying how one of her friends from work just bought herself a Datejust with diamonds in the dial and bezel.

I was well chuffed to hear her talk like that! Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Bren_C

Saw the new Batman last week, in an AD not the wild. Even got to try it on

Bren_C wrote: »
    Saw the new Batman last week, in an AD not the wild. Even got to try it on

Should have bought it could have made yourself a nice few bob

That's the new one with the jubilee bracelet

• Advertisement

Where was that and how much did they want for it?

Advertisement