Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV £69

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Really impressed by mine. The performance of XBMC and the tidy remote make it excellent.

Some will be put off by it being unrootable currently so USB storage isn't an option

• Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭degsie

Just to add you also get a £10 promo code for Amazon Instant Video.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

degsie wrote:
    Just to add you also get a £10 promo code for Amazon Instant Video.

Don't think that works in Ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Yeah, once it is rootable it will be amazing! Thankfully I got mine from the USA early this year and mine is fully tooted and can enjoy all the custom roms and external hard drive compatibility. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭loughrey

Yeah, once it is rootable it will be amazing! Thankfully I got mine from the USA early this year when it was rootable and mine is fully rooted and can enjoy all the custom roms and external hard drive compatibility. :-D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 tsar kee

I bought one of these on adverts but I cant register it. The guy I bought if from deregistered but it still wont recognise my email address. I've spoken to Amazon three times and the last time they said it wont work in Ireland. I'm stumped cos other people dont have any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 tsar kee

tsar kee wrote: »
    I bought one of these on adverts but I cant register it. The guy I bought if from deregistered but it still wont recognise my email address. I've spoken to Amazon three times and the last time they said it wont work in Ireland. I'm stumped cos other people dont have any problems. Mods please move this if its in the wrong forum. Thanks

Down to £63.20 on Amazon UK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think Amazon needs to quietly release a bug for it so it can be rooted and it will sell like hotcakes then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

groom wrote: »
    Really impressed by mine. The performance of XBMC and the tidy remote make it excellent.

Some will be put off by it being unrootable currently so USB storage isn't an option

Is there any restrictions on sideloading Android apps onto these?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

Didn't know you could load XBMC -- are you able to access storage on the LAN?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Is there any restrictions on sideloading Android apps onto these?

Dont think so, but you need to install via adb, or at least you did

I use mine with netflix and plex, works very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭utyh2ikcq9z76b

Didn't know you could load XBMC -- are you able to access storage on the LAN?

Meant to be one of the best boxes now for xbmc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

This is a great box for the price and has replaced my AppleTV2 and is so much quicker for XBMC etc. and is very wife and family friendly too :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

Good price right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭mcw92

Mad to get one of these, but with all my movies on a Hard Drive, I need USB the USB to work for XBMC before i justify buying one. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

mcw92 wrote: »
    Mad to get one of these, but with all my movies on a Hard Drive, I need USB the USB to work for XBMC before i justify buying one. :/

If you have them on a NAS it will work or you could use the Plex app if you have the Hardrive connected to your computer and play on AFTV that way...

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

It can also run Plex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭mcw92

Had it set up the Plex way before using my PS4 to stream them, but was too much hassle.
    Already have an Android box with XBMC and my HD connected but would just rather this for the better build quality/remote etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Even at this reduced price + parcel motel you are knocking on €90 for the Fire TV.

I know it's not directly comparable and doesn't have the nice remote control functionality but for some it might be worth considering the Pipo X7 Windows 8.1 fanless PC for about €100 assuming it gets stopped by Customs or less if you get lucky and they let it through.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Bountyfour70

Hello all,
    sorry to disturb with my silly questions about Amazon Fire TV :
    - can we use with it an usb key ?
    - I thought to buy a multimedia player, is it better or not?
    - how to do for the delivery ?
    thank you
    Bounty

Hello all,
    sorry to disturb with my silly questions about Amazon Fire TV :
    - can we use with it an usb key ?
    - I thought to buy a multimedia player, is it better or not?
    - how to do for the delivery ?
    thank you
    Bounty

Welcome to Boards :)

You can only attach USB storage on a rooted FTV.
    Makes a very good media player with xbmc/kodi sideloaded.
    Ship via Parcel Motel.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bountyfour70

degsie wrote: »
    Welcome to Boards :)
    You can only attach USB storage on a rooted FTV.
    Sorry I am a newbie !! ;)
    What does it mean??

Sorry I am a newbie !! ;)
    What does it mean??

It means getting 'root' access to the device whereby you can change functionality and make it do things Amazon do not want you to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Could Amazon roll out an update to lock out rooted devices though?

JDxtra wrote: »
    Could Amazon roll out an update to lock out rooted devices though?

Yes, they have already done this. You can only root on a lower version of the s/w and only after you have blocked updates!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just to be aware they will be selling the similar but different Fire Stick in the US , you can pre-order. In stock on February 13, 2015.

http://www.amazon.com/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00GDQ0RMG $39

AFAIK it's like Fire TV lite , might be an option if you don't need all the bells and whistles.

I've got both the Fire TV and the FTV Stick. Both are excellent. They run XBMC really well. I've got the Fire TV plugged into a home plug and the Stick only has wifi but it's hard to feel a difference. The remote that comes with the FTV is excellent, feels like an Apple TV remote. The one that comes with the stick is cheap feeling. There is an app called AFTV side loader that allows you to push apks to the devices and there are a couple of remote apps that give you mouse control so you can use apps like RTE Player that don't work with the remote

Before these devices I had an MK802 and an Ouya. They had the feel of being hacked together. These devices feel like end user devices.

Drawbacks are that none of the Amazon Prime content works in Ireland and they can't currently be rooted to allow USB storage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭phobia2011

I've got both the Fire TV and the FTV Stick. Both are excellent. They run XBMC really well. I've got the Fire TV plugged into a home plug and the Stick only has wifi but it's hard to feel a difference. The remote that comes with the FTV is excellent, feels like an Apple TV remote. The one that comes with the stick is cheap feeling. There is an app called AFTV side loader that allows you to push apks to the devices and there are a couple of remote apps that give you mouse control so you can use apps like RTE Player that don't work with the remote

Before these devices I had an MK802 and an Ouya. They had the feel of being hacked together. These devices feel like end user devices.

Drawbacks are that none of the Amazon Prime content works in Ireland and they can't currently be rooted to allow USB storage.

Is usb storage the only drawback, can network storage be used/accessed?

• Advertisement

phobia2011 wrote: »
    Is usb storage the only drawback, can network storage be used/accessed?

Pretty sure it can access a NAS but don't have a NAS to try. You can use Plex if that's your thing. I just stream off XBMC.

Another drawback that I alluded to is that Amazon's interface is designed to have their products front and centre but we can't access them here afaik.

I use it for XBMC and RTE Player and it's great for that. The dedicated remote is great.

Advertisement