Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Former McKevitt staff in SuperValu going back to old/bad habits. Tutting when asking them a question or for help with something, slamming your shopping on the counter after scanning it or snooty reminding them to scan your clubcard.

I’ve noticed they’ve a completely different attitude to customers when the owner is on the floor. As mentioned before on here, they seem too institutionalised to the way McKevitt ran the store.

The new younger staff are helpful and courteous to customers and even help the elderly pack their groceries. I see a few of McKevitt staff members have left already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,990 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Former McKevitt staff in SuperValu going back to old/bad habits. Tutting when asking them a question or for help with something, slamming your shopping on the counter after scanning it or snooty reminding them to scan your clubcard.

I’ve noticed they’ve a completely different attitude to customers when the owner is on the floor. As mentioned before on here, they seem too institutionalised to the way McKevitt ran the store.

The new younger staff are helpful and courteous to customers and even help the elderly pack their groceries. I see a few of McKevitt staff members have left already.

If that's the case, they'd do well to take a lesson from Supervalu Cashel.
    Same staff there forever, happy, smiley and I heard well looked after by management too.
    Place is spotless, great layout, lots of fresh local produce.
    If I was in retail that's where I'd like to work.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Well its time they change their attitude or leave so.Maybe the new management are customer focused and thats what they are paid for. Unfortunately in retail nowadays customer service in some stores is terrible. Was in a boots store in cork one sunday and the 1 of the 2 was worse for wears after the night before. Never acknowledged anyone she was serving.her makeup was from the night before eyes were a giveaway. Was in a petrol station recently and the guy never got off his phone while serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

If that's the case, they'd do well to take a lesson from Supervalu Cashel. Same staff there forever, happy, smiley and I expect heard well looked after by management too. Place is spotless, great layout, lots of fresh local produce. If I was in retail that's where I'd like to work.

Agreed, that store is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭major deegan

Is the butcher shop in dunnes shopping centre closed down?
    Hasnt been open last few days anyway!

• Advertisement

Is the butcher shop in dunnes shopping centre closed down?
    Hasnt been open last few days anyway!

Yes, I believe so. He seems to be putting all his energy into the acquisition of Quik Pick(Walsh) Borrisoleigh.

He never had as much custom as Liam Campion did there nor stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Yes, I believe so. He seems to be putting all his energy into the acquisition of Quik Pick(Walsh) Borrisoleigh.

He never had as much custom as Liam Campion did there nor stock.

That unit is very high rent I’d imagine

Someone from Thurles to be in Winning Streak next Saturday night. Did anyone get a name? Nice for Christmas!!

Tom Barry SuperValu have applied for planning permission to change the facia and relocate the entrance at the front. See drawing.

Very nice man and has the store looking absolutely fantastic and clean. Hopefully the front checkouts will be restored to what they once were.

Did anyone catch the old L&N deli area that was on view for a few weeks down the back? Brings back memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats going on at the munster . i saw lights on there a few evenings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

Tom Barry SuperValu have applied for planning permission to change the facia and relocate the entrance at the front. See drawing.

Very nice man and has the store looking absolutely fantastic and clean. Hopefully the front checkouts will be restored to what they once were.

Did anyone catch the old L&N deli area that was on view for a few weeks down the back? Brings back memories.

It's about time the front was changed. It looks mank and has done so for so long! The food in the deli is top notch now too.
    whats going on at the munster . i saw lights on there a few evenings

Last I heard it was being turned into a Primary Care Centre then a bookmakers (like we need another one of those in town).

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭mikep

There is another alteration to the planning submitted for the Munster, change of use of first floor to retail use.

Hopefully the bookies has been ditched..

There is also a planning application for a primary care centre on Mitchell St, unrelated to the Munster application though.

mikep wrote: »
    There is another alteration to the planning submitted for the Munster, change of use of first floor to retail use.

Hopefully the bookies has been ditched..

There is also a planning application for a primary care centre on Mitchell St, unrelated to the Munster application though.

Yep, the Primary Care Centre is going where Sweeney's Bakery used be.

It's about time the front was changed. It looks mank and has done so for so long! The food in the deli is top notch now too.

Think it was Q1 2001 that was facia was installed. To be fair it’s actually a nice facia and doesn’t look too dated, it’s just it wasn’t cleaned regularly. Compared to Tesco, now there’s a dated storefront and it’s far worse at the rear. You’d think they’d at the very least respray the faded sheeting and plaster the horrible 1970s pebbledash.

I don’t know the reason why McKevitt dropped the SuperValu branding back then. I doubt he even owned the store as all L&N stores were owned by the Torrie family in Waterford until 1995. Musgrave tended to buy up stores and to lease them back to franchisees. I’m guessing there was some dispute with musgraves at the time.

By the end he was importing most of his stock from Nisa/CoOp and the store was under stocked on a lot of items even basics like bread. Freezers left empty. I think they made the right choice getting out of there.

Compared to Tesco, now there’s a dated storefront and it’s far worse at the rear.

There's a dated store full stop! When you go in there you come out with a bag of misery for free!

I noticed that Indian Dream (in old Shimla) is reopening..

That'll be 3 Indians in town..

The first Indian Dream post Shimla was really good..hopefully it will also be of a high standard. although I knew they were in trouble when the owner gave me a bottle of Riesling that retails at €20 one evening when I was collecting a takeaway!!

Looks like a Costa Coffee planned for Thurles beside Lidl. Always thought Dunnes Stores missed an opportunity here for a cafe out front like they have in Childers Road Limerick

I just spotted that Boylesports are still in the planning stages of a bookies in part of the ground floor of the former Munster hotel.. :(

Further information requested. He’s (Healy) is planning to turn it into separate premises.

It’d make a right building for a Penney’s unfortunately there’s inadequate footfall and parking in the vicinity.

Further information requested. He’s (Healy) is planning to turn it into separate premises.

It’d make a right building for a Penney’s unfortunately there’s inadequate footfall and parking in the vicinity.

God don’t get the Facebook ones started about Penney’s. They seem to think that M Lowry can demand that Varadkar order Penney’s to open here. It’s as if Penney’s take their instructions from the Taoiseach. The stupidity sometimes is atronomical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is it true that stef hans is closing?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Is that the one in the library

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is that the one in the library

Yeah

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭shmeee

Yeah

It is closing alright.

Great food but awful location and setting to be fair, couldn't open late and limited enough seating etc in a corridor for all the world.

SuperValu still haven’t restocked. The ready meals (mashed potato, veg cottage pies etc) and sliced hams the fridges are almost bare.

splinter65 wrote: »
    God don’t get the Facebook ones started about Penney’s. They seem to think that M Lowry can demand that Varadkar order Penney’s to open here. It’s as if Penney’s take their instructions from the Taoiseach. The stupidity sometimes is atronomical.

Boils my head all the Facebook comments about getting a Pennys into Thurles.

How will that save the town firstly? And secondly, Pennys would not open in Thurles, not a large enough area or footfall, same with McDonalds and all the other multinationals that Facebook users in Thurles are crying out for.

SuperValu still haven’t restocked. The ready meals (mashed potato, veg cottage pies etc) and sliced hams the fridges are almost bare.

Wasn't a spud to be had there on Wednesday evening!

They got a right rattle over Christmas and was near impossible to get orders correct with Musgraves, as orders have to be done in advance, they can't just ring up in morning for stock.

Every SuperValu in the Country runs reports from previous years to get sales / stock figures but Thurles hadn't that option.

Aldi had much either Wednesday, every fridge in Thurles was empty I say when we woke up from the Christmas season. And everyone ran out at the same time to re-stock. :D

shmeee wrote: »
    Boils my head all the Facebook comments about getting a Pennys into Thurles.

How will that save the town firstly? And secondly, Pennys would not open in Thurles, not a large enough area or footfall, same with McDonalds and all the other multinationals that Facebook users in Thurles are crying out for.

That’s it Penney’s and MacDonalds, it’s like a broken record. As if these companies could be nagged into opening up a business in a place where they wouldn’t make a profit.

Would it not be safe enough to say that McDonalds would do as good, if not better in Thurles day to day as it does in Cashel? I mean Cashel has a population of around 4,500 vs Thurles which has 8,000. You don't have big match days or Féile's in Cashel and a service station similar to where McDonalds is in Cashel wouldn't have been a bad idea near the roundabout in the Horse and Jockey. Plus you wouldn't have the traveller community living beside it either with their kids in and out causing hassle for the staff and patrons alike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭ Garrett Steep Sub

She was on the business programme (I think) on radio 1 a couple of days back. She said the higher vat and rise in minimum wage made it impossible to make a profit.

Advertisement