Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All Things Met Eireann Related Go in Here (MOD NOTE #1)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭dopolahpec

Met Eireann have been bang on with their forecasts, upgrading yesterday from rain to sleet for northern half of the country. I think people can handle this sort of weather ;) not so sure about the oul LEVEL 2 on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Is snow in Dublin likely today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Quick question, are people here saying that individual forecasters on the telly 'call it'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Issued at 18 January 2013 - 08:00
    Severe Weather Warning
    Falls of sleet or snow today and tonight over the northern half of Leinster, Ulster and North Connaught and also on higher ground in Dublin and Wicklow. Blizzard conditions in places for a time today. Accumulations of 5 to 10 cm possible, highest further north and on high ground.

Seldom the "blizzard" word is seen,again it makes you think how poor gerry's effort was the other night that the risk of sleet on a mountaintop didn't warrant a mention,again despite met.ie at the same time having sleet/snow on it.Will surely have to go down as the worst effort at a weather forecast for 2013 as i hope there is not a poorer one all year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

hawkwing wrote: »
    Severe Weather Warning
    Falls of sleet or snow today and tonight over the northern half of Leinster, Ulster and North Connaught and also on higher ground in Dublin and Wicklow. Blizzard conditions in places for a time today. Accumulations of 5 to 10 cm possible, highest further north and on high ground.

Seldom the "blizzard" word is seen,again it makes you think how poor gerry's effort was the other night that the risk of sleet on a mountaintop didn't warrant a mention,again despite met.ie at the same time having sleet/snow on it.Will surely have to go down as the worst effort at a weather forecast for 2013 as i hope there is not a poorer one all year.

He seems correct so far - because there is probably no accumulations on low ground in the Republic. Even this temporary "blizzard" won't affect that.

The mountains in Wicklow are high, they will get snow when nothing happens anywhere else.

• Advertisement

In short RTE called it, this forum did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,499 ✭✭✭Speak Now

In short RTE called it, this forum did not.

I think you mean Met Eireann :pac:

I think you mean Met Eireann :pac:

Met Eireann called it on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Severe Weather Warning

I am confused they called it like it is happening, snow in northern Leinster and Ulster, snow on high ground in Wicklow and Dublin, sleet elsewhere.

This was stated in yesterdays forecasts 24 hours out from the event. The other forecast you mention was given at the start of the week. If he had mentioned there would be snow at the start of the week, it would have led to all sorts of panic, which is uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Fair play to Gerry he got this mornings forecast bang on.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Helen Curran just delivered the forecast we wanted Gerry to produce last night. Great forecast. Snow Galore Accumulations of up to 10cms

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

Spindle wrote: »
    I am confused they called it like it is happening, snow in northern Leinster and Ulster, snow on high ground in Wicklow and Dublin, sleet elsewhere.

This was stated in yesterdays forecasts 24 hours out from the event. The other forecast you mention was given at the start of the week. If he had mentioned there would be snow at the start of the week, it would have led to all sorts of panic, which is uncalled for.

No. On Wednesday night Gerry said it would be all rain today and this weekend, no mention of even the risk of wintry weather over high ground despite all the models pointing to it.
    Nonsense.

I woke up to heavy sleet and then snow this morning. Other parts have seen plenty of accumulation.

rc28 wrote: »
    No. On Wednesday night Gerry said it would be all rain today and this weekend, no mention of even the risk of wintry weather over high ground despite all the models pointing to it.
    Nonsense.

I woke up to heavy sleet and then snow this morning. Other parts have seen plenty of accumulation.

On low ground in the Republic - the area he is forecasting?

Yes, see the other thread - reports and pics of accumulation in North Meath and on IWN a poster near Mullingar has posted pics an hour ago - http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3249.30

I love how you completely skirt around the fact that many parts of North Leinster/midlands are seeing wintry precipitation - it may not be sticking in many places (yet) but if we were to go by Gerry's forecast the other night we would be gobsmacked at the conditions we woke up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭hawkwing

Oh ffs Wed nights forecast was a joke and anyone that can say it wasn't or try and spin it any other way is not worth reasoning with, end of story.

Yes, see the other thread - reports and pics of accumulation in North Meath and on IWN a poster near Mullingar has posted pics an hour ago - http://www.irelandsweather.com/forum/index.php?topic=3249.30

I love how you completely skirt around the fact that many parts of North Leinster/midlands are seeing wintry precipitation - it may not be sticking in many places (yet) but if we were to go by Gerry's forecast the other night we would be gobsmacked at the conditions we woke up to.

I see some minor temporary snow on a car ( where accumulation is easiest).

Most of Ireland is seeing......rain. cold rain to be sure, but rain.

I am not in the least gobsmacked. He forecasted rain, and it rained. I travelled a lot of Dublin this morning from 6AM and I saw - rain. There is no "LEVEL 2" event for sure. He is closer than this forum.

You can get snow in Ulster when we get zonal weather. In comes a mild south-westerly or westerly, and the winds inevitably turn to a North-Westerly direction bringing snow. Most people consider that mild muck, and discount northern hills.

Its raining for 99% of the population. There is no widespread event here. Met Eireann called it.

Its raining for 99% of the population. There is no widespread event here. Met Eireann called it.

Met Eireann are Calling it the opposite way today :D
    Watch the latest forecast ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭whitebriar

Pangea wrote: »

Met Eireann are Calling it the opposite way today :D
    Watch the latest forecast ;)
    Indeed.
    Going on last night,and comparing reports of what's actually happening today.
    It's now snowing on Dundrum mountain,Sandyford mountain,Rathfarnham mountain and on leeson st mountain...

• Advertisement

Nonsense.

Oh ffs Wed nights forecast was a joke and anyone that can say it wasn't or try and spin it any other way is not worth reasoning with, end of story.
    mattser wrote: »
    +1. Gave up relying on the so called experts here long ago. I trust my own instincts, plus a look at the Beeb who are usually far more accurate at times like this.

LOL!

As I said earlier in this thread, people listen to one forecast, don't like what they hear, then don't listen to it for days, when it does snow, they then say they never warned us etc.

The situation was marginal and the models where all over the place, he didn't mention snow on Wednesday as it was not fully on the cards. Then gradually over Thursday they changed the wording to highlight the risk of snow in the North (Ulster and North Lensiter) and high ground in south Lenister.

Now forward to the current situation you have exactly as they said would happen.

Ignore the rampers on here, who although know how to read charts and such, always clutch to the 10% chance there will be snow at low level in there backyard, when they see this chance fading they normally go very quiet......

The forecast mentions wintery showers (mix of rain/sleet/snow) we have exactly that. It also mentions lovely sunny weather for the south we also have that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,240 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Spindle wrote: »
    The forecast mentions wintery showers (mix of rain/sleet/snow) we have exactly that. It also mentions lovely sunny weather for the south we also have that :cool:

I'm enjoying the sunny weather actually! :D Nice to clear blue skies and have a crisp day :)

Haha ye true, they actually have a proper snow warning but apparently that doesn't exist in the world of 'Duggy's Housemate'.

Presumably that's for Ulster. They said that last night. Most of the republic got rain today.

If I relied on this forum I would have bought a snow plough.

There are an awful lot of rampers out there. Although the potential still is there for snow later on, so don't call it yet. The main event for the south and low areas is yet to arrive.

Presumably that's for Ulster. They said that last night. Most of the republic got rain today.

The republic extends to Ulster too. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 197 ✭✭Eastcoastryan

I'm not bashing Met Eireann but I find that their forecasts contradict each other quite alot. For example in the past hour on TV there was a Blizzard warning with a caption "Be Prepared 5-10cm" The graphic covered a line from Galway to Wicklow. At the same time, their online forecast was updated and it said snow dying out except in Ulster. It's almost as if different people are giving different forecasts, personally I think it's a bit unprofessional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭dacogawa

I take it/think the ECM is the MET's favoured model ? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

What's Gerry going to think of this! :D

ECM0-48.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

dacogawa wrote: »
    I take it/think the ECM is the MET's favoured model ? (correct me if I'm wrong please)

What's Gerry going to think of this! :D

Siobhán is on duty today. She likes a bit of a ramp sometimes :)
    Gerry has moved to Florida I think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Lets be having you siobhan !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Oh Siobhán :) Told ya she's good ;)

Advertisement