Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Begging Cigarettes ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I was waiting at the bottom of Grafton St. on a friday night for a friend, sitting down, passing the time smoking and got asked twice in less than 5m! Both by two dodgy looking fellas who hovered over me threateningly. After getting his fag one of them had the cheek to ask me for money for 'petrol' for his wife and baby who were stuck in the broken down car, thankfully my friend came along and he got ****ing pissed off when we wouldn't give him money for 'petrol'.

Thank god i smoke rollies most of the time because then they can't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

I don't mind people asking me for fags as long as they're nice about it and don't take advantage of it. I've been asked by people a few times who basically demanded them and they're the sort of people who you're too afraid to refuse as well. One of my friends wouldn't roll for a stranger before and got slapped across the face.

There's a lot of 'homeless' people around Galway who'll ask for a fag and if you give them one they'll suddenly remember their brother/friend/cousin needs one too. I think if someone's nice enough to give you a fag then be thankful and leave them alone. Even if you can't afford them it doesn't give you the right to take as many as possible off the people who can afford them. Especially since most people can't afford them as often as before.

As for asking for fags, the majority of my friends don't mind lending me fags and I always pay them back, I feel terrible if I don't. As for asking strangers, I have on occasion when I'm really desperate but I do hate doing it and I don't mind them saying no, although some people are unnecessarily rude about it. I was once told I shouldn't smoke. Fair enough I look under eighteen but I still think it kind of hypocritical when you've got a fag hanging out of your mouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 etoilerose

It's really annoying when people beg for a smoke..so I usually just say "Sorry, this is my last one" but if the person asks very nicely I might give them one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 paulportoloive

they ask nicely thinking they will get one - one word does be my answer - nooooooooooo - i broke ass and maybe they broke but jesus they prob drive a BMW parked around corner - tight f..cks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭John Player

I never give em to strangers for the reason that id never ask someone I don't know. I've often been dying for one and id pick up a half smoked one on the street before id ask, or just go through the bins at home for butts and get skins and "recycle"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Chriskavo

I never give em to strangers for the reason that id never ask someone I don't know. I've often been dying for one and id pick up a half smoked one on the street before id ask, or just go through the bins at home for butts and get skins and "recycle"

I agree - sometimes I root through the ashtrays that are secured outside pubs and clubs. Usually you will find a half decent butt amongst them. Another trick is when you see someone with a smoke in their mouth run past them and grab the cig as quick as you can from their mouths - be warned though - I got my ass kicked a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Chriskavo wrote: »
    I agree - sometimes I root through the ashtrays that are secured outside pubs and clubs. Usually you will find a half decent butt amongst them. Another trick is when you see someone with a smoke in their mouth run past them and grab the cig as quick as you can from their mouths - be warned though - I got my ass kicked a couple of times.

I hope i never meet you!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Chriskavo wrote: »

Don't take it personally but I have to say you richly deserved it :p:p

As for taking butts from strangers ashtrays ? Thanks but no thanks - has anyone ever heard of Hepatitis ?:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭i.need.a.job

i always say if you cant afford to do it then you shouldnt be doing it.... if i cant afford ciggs i go with out or smoke rollies.. id bum off close friends but always give them back .. but even friends seem to think its ok if you spark up in a room of 6 or 8 friends for them all to ask for one... go away, they are mine... my housemate the other night bummed six off me because he was too lazy to go to his car.. not fair... i made sure to get them back off him the next day , he is working and im not... piss off people.. my fags :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mrbruno

If you think about it, smoking is an absolute luxury. Its not a neccessity at all. So to be honest i cant see any justification for denying a homeless person one. Naturally you shouldnt give one to the leaches who always look for free ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

delancey42 wrote: »
    Why not just tell him to **** off ? :D

I'm a nice guy who likes to share of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

mrbruno wrote: »
    If you think about it, smoking is an absolute luxury. Its not a neccessity at all. So to be honest i cant see any justification for denying a homeless person one. Naturally you shouldnt give one to the leaches who always look for free ones.

This makes no sense to me. I am more likely to deny someone needy a luxury than a necessity. If a homeless person asked me for a piece of bread I would feel bad about not giving it to them, but if they wanted to borrow my TV or something I would think "No, I am not obligated to share my luxuries".

If you mean that I should be more willing to share cigarettes because I can live without them, it is true that I will survive if I give some away, but I have no reason to because no homeless person benefits from my sharing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

i dont think its that bad in dublin at all. in France its a nightmare. Because the majority of people smoke in France, they assume they just ask everyone for a free ciggie. Whereas being a non smoker in Ireland, nobody has ever asked me that question back home. I hope people dont give them out for free...i wouldnt if i smoked. obvisously they must get them free from some people, otherwise why do they keep asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There's nothing more annoying than being asked for a cigarette when at a bus stop. I get my bus home from Liberty Hall and I pray that the bus is waiting there ready to go.

If I'm waiting for the bus I'll always light up a smoke but I know that as soon as I do the fcukers will be crawliing up from the Luas stop to "borrow" a fag.

Very annoying. I always say no. I don't care if it's someone I know because I know they'll get me back another time but why should I give someone a smoke I paid money for. If they were to offer me money for it I'd say ok but some of these people think it's a right that they should be handed cigarettes from people and then kick up a fuss if they don't get one.

Cheeky fcukers.

That_Guy wrote: »
    There's nothing more annoying than being asked for a cigarette when at a bus stop. I get my bus home from Liberty Hall and I pray that the bus is waiting there ready to go.

If I'm waiting for the bus I'll always light up a smoke but I know that as soon as I do the fcukers will be crawliing up from the Luas stop to "borrow" a fag.

Very annoying. I always say no. I don't care if it's someone I know because I know they'll get me back another time but why should I give someone a smoke I paid money for. If they were to offer me money for it I'd say ok but some of these people think it's a right that they should be handed cigarettes from people and then kick up a fuss if they don't get one.

Cheeky fcukers.

That's my main problem with cigarette beggars summed up: They expect you to give them a cigarette, as if they're entitled to it. Cigs are almost 50 cent a piece!

There must be lots of people giving them cigs though, the fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Unless I know them, I tell them I don't smoke.

The annoying thing is, I have to take the rollie that I've been smoking out of my mouth to tell them that :D :P

That_Guy wrote: »

That area is a nightmare for bums begging ciggies - anyone who wants to experience it at its worst : Try lighting up outside Busaras and the vermin crawl out from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

At first this is gonna sound very cheap but hear me out.

I smoke drum and I absolutely hate when people ask me for a rollie. I know they're half the price of fags but its not the price I care about. There are 2 things that annoy me about it. People seem to feel like asking for a rollie is a last resort and like they're owed one after asking for fags. They make it out like you're just going to hand them out cause they're cheaper than fags and that you're a prick if you don't. Once I went to a girl I met's house with her friends. On the way someone said they should buy fags and someone, who I'd met 2 hour's before said, "it's alright, he has drum".

Now to what really annoy's me about it. Heres the usual situation- randommer-"can I have a rollie". Me-"yeah no bother*pass them pack, filter and skins*" Randommer-"no, you roll it for me". What the hell? They're cheap and I have no bother letting somebody roll one but asking for one and then not only askin, but expecting them, to make you a rollie for them. It's ridiculous. Thats why I don't mind giving them to homeless people, they always roll them themselves.

It's the whole snobbery towards people who smoke rollie's that annoys me so much. This is the way I look at it. People go around asking for cigarettes. This is like someone looking for someone attractive to pull. They get sick of not having success and "settle" for someone who isn't hot and feel like the minger is someone who you don't even have to work for, just go over and take the prize. Except in this case the minger is a rollie.

Anyways, it's not the act but how it's done that annoys me. Rant over.

Actually I have to post this gem of a story.

Me and a few friends were walking up the street in Galway City at around midnight. This 15-16 year old scummer emerges from an alley and shouts "you, have ye any fags, rollie's, anyten?"

This girl was a proper scummer, not the kind who's mommy buys them €150 nike TN's every other week so just in case I said "sorry, don't smoke".

This knack replied in disgust "So ur tellin me that none of ye smawk?"

"Sorry", we reply and walk on. Next thing we know we hear that excuse of a human being shouting "I asked them for a fag and they called me a whore". Next thing we know lads are roaring at us and the usual do we stop and sort it out or keep walking conversation goes on. Thank god our mates brother was, for whatever fluke reason, with them and stopped them from kicking the sh*te out of us.

Aw poor Chewabacca - I'm sure your not a Minger :D

• Advertisement

Aw poor Chewabacca - I'm sure your not a Minger :D
    Haha thanks!

What I'm talking about is people lowering their standards from Benson to drum. It's like they're thinking, "Ah screw it no one wants to give me a fig I'll just ask that guy for a rollie".

It's them making out like you're completely unreasonable if u don't make them a rollie. You know what, I'm pretty sure it's just that galway clubs are littered with young 'ens.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

I'm 23 and worked in the GPO for about a year. I used to keep score to see just how many people would go "sorry bud, can I rob a fag off ya?" and then you'd get abused by said person once refused. That said of course I'm not 100% innocent myself as I have on occasion asked a stranger if they'd have one. That was always under exceptional circumstance though as in very bad day, no money to buy any, etc etc. If I got rtefused well then that's that persons right not to give them away. I always looked at it like karma though; if someone was good enough to give one to me, I'd give one to a randomer if they were not obviously a junkie or whatever..

dannyluvsu wrote: »
    I always looked at it like karma though; if someone was good enough to give one to me, I'd give one to a randomer if they were not obviously a junkie or whatever..

I have a similar yet somewhat different attitude - I never ask so I never give :D
    As an aside - working at the GPO ? Jesus , you must have been tormented by some right gougers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

I have a similar yet somewhat different attitude - I never ask so I never give :D
    As an aside - working at the GPO ? Jesus , you must have been tormented by some right gougers ?

At least there's usually a few Gards outside it.

I was asked for a smoke by a group of Dutch-Gold-swilling-yobs in the sand dunes on Bull Island. Told them I didnt have any and walked off while they shouted abuse. About half an hour later, about 7pm maybe, myself and my friend sit down for a smoke on the Bull Wall, just as the same skangers walk along and see us smoking!

Long story short, got cans thrown at us, my phone knocked out of my hand (when they realised I was calling for blackup in the form of gardai) kicked and chased the length of the bull wall. Ended up running to a strangers house for help, where we had tea and watched a programme about polar bears!

It feels like I cant smoke in public anymore without being abused/chased/assaulted. :(

Thats a shocking story Face - is it just me or is this whole thing of strangers begging ciggies a new phenomenon ? I don't remember it always being like this - it seems to have become a big problem in the last 5 years and long before the recession hit.
    Or has it always been this bad and I lived in blissful innocence ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Thats a shocking story Face - is it just me or is this whole thing of strangers begging ciggies a new phenomenon ? I don't remember it always being like this - it seems to have become a big problem in the last 5 years and long before the recession hit.
    Or has it always been this bad and I lived in blissful innocence ?

I've always had people looking for smokes off of me but it's escalated to unreal level over the last couple of years. There's more junkies/scumbags on the street than there's ever been before and it's seen a rise in this carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭dannyluvsu

You better believe it! If I'm completely honest though after about 2-3 months in the job the 'refusing-junkies-and-gypsies' part of the ciggy break became as enjoyable as the ciggy itself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭tommylimerick

ya nearly just as bad in limerick
    about 2 months ago was walking along and some junkie girl asked me for a smoke i just ignorned her she shouted after me **** off so you ignorant **** . think the irony was lost on her

Yeah I had a very similar experience - a total junkie of a scrubber saw me with one and asked for one , I replied I had none left and she who probably didn't have a vein left shouted at me '' ye're only a f***in' scumbag '' - yet again the irony was strangely lost on her !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭littleoulme

Yes, I've really noticed it too. I do be sneaking them out of my pocket. It actually really pisses me off. I can just afford to smoke, but my thing is if you can't afford it, you shouldn't do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement