Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

20 Cigarettes from €9 to €15 in the next six years

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

What do you want? You're government running things or the gangsters?

And the difference is..?

It's an awful pity Minister Reilly wouldn't think of doing something about the alcohol problem in this country instead. Obviously smoking can cause sickness and can kill people but surely that is their own choice? (The cost of treatment for these folk is another argument). Drink on the other hand causes far more social and domestic dysfunction than any other drug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

RayM wrote: »
    Do people really enjoy smoking?

Yes they do! When I was a smoker (for five years) I can tell you that I bloody enjoyed the vast majority of them. Even now I can still remember the feeling of having a smoke with a coffee,outside on a nice morning.

Putting up the price is retarded for so many reasons, it's high enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

What makes fatboy Reilly think he'll still be health minister in 5 years time. In fact what makes him think he'll even be in government?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

gaffer91 wrote: »

I also oppose it from the point of view of civil liberties- I do believe tax on cigarettes should cover associated illnesses, but it already does that, so increasing it further is just unfair on smokers.

I personally don't restrict smokers' civil liberties, but smokers and their inevitable emissions frequently interfere with mine.

The economics argument is the big one, and I imagine there will be intense debate in the, er, smoke-filled rooms of Government offices in the coming years, if this proposal is pursued.

There has always been an awkward dance going on between the Health Promoters and the Tax Gatherers in the public policy arena.

Depending on how you do the accounting, smokers may or may not be paying their way.

The Revenue Commissioners published an interesting report last year:
    Higher prices (taxes) will contribute to lower smoking rates but, given current levels of taxation, they will also contribute towards more untaxed consumption. Further analysis suggests that Ireland has moved beyond the optimum point regarding the effectiveness of taxation to reduce cigarette consumption. This implies that further increases in taxes may not lead to further increases in tax revenue.

This research suggests that higher cigarette taxes in Ireland will no longer produce a win-win situation of public health benefits (lower rates of smoking) and benefits to the public finances (higher levels of tax revenue). More likely, it appears that in the Irish market for cigarettes as it current stands, a tax increase will reduce revenue but only have a lesser impact on tobacco consumption by encouraging further substitution away from taxed cigarettes.

Given the importance of the public health benefits, it is only right that policy-makers should aim to reduce smoking and tobacco taxation has been a key tool in addressing this objective. However, policy-makers should be cognisant of the full impacts of higher tobacco taxes and consider the costs of as well as the benefits of higher taxation.

Revenue Commissioners (2011) Economics of Tobacco: Modelling the Market for Cigarettes in Ireland
    Let the games begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭lifelongnoob

putting up prices not only encourages smuggling but also damages tourism.... alot of foreigners smoke... increasing the cost of ciggies even more will put off alot of these tourists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Either James Reilly currently smokes or he used to smoke. At least he has the money to pay any increases.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

So Minister Fintan Stack is price gouging drug addicts? It's not really a headline is it, after it's just standard fine gael scumbaggery :confused:

How come we don't see tobacco rehab clinics being paid for by the gubberment? because dealers don't help their customers get clean is why

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Authoritative sources please.

Here's where you can find some relevant citations, in the unlikely event that you're tempted to cite the Daily Mail or Telegraph.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I wasn't aware healthy people were ultimately a bigger healthcare expense.
    Well the longer people live the more they will cost, not just in healthcare but also state service, pensions and old age care. Modern medicine is keeping people alive who nature would have killed off long before and this all cost money.Smokers die younger , i don't have any stats or sources but it would seem ti be logical that this means they will cost less in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Bambi wrote: »
    So Minister Fintan Stack is price gouging drug addicts? It's not really a headline is it, after it's just standard fine gael scumbaggery :confused:

How come we don't see tobacco rehab clinics being paid for by the gubberment? because dealers don't help their customers get clean is why

Not quite true. The government do provide smoking cessation counsellors.

HSE quitting smoking services

ETA: Free service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Increasing the price of cigarettes is the most effective way of reducing consumption.

Graph 1

Graph 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Discussion on possible future costs of smoking.
    AH->Smoking forum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

I haven't bought a pack of Irish cigarettes in 2 years. Wont affect me, nor will any increase in customs activity since the cigarettes I buy are are bought within the EU and duty paid. The only loser is the Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

Well the longer people live the more tax they contribute

FYP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Now we're on the Smoking forum, please abide by the Smoking forum charter, in particular
    3. Not everyone enjoys smoking, and some people think that its disgusting filthy habit these people are not welcomed here. Those with an anti-smoking axe to grind or simply looking for support while you stop smoking please post in the Giving Up Smoking forum, not here. This forum is to discuss the positives of our habit. While we don’t encourage people to start smoking we will discuss the positives of smoking.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Right now I'd say I'll quit if it gets too expensive but just like a frog in a hot pot I'll probably hang on, particularly when drinking.
    Maybe switch to rollies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Seriously? Thats your solution?

Yes. If the government was serious about getting people to stop smoking, I think making cigarettes available via prescription only would be a better solution than merely using their addiction as a handy revenue generator.

I don't think I can really expand on that, as the thread has been inexplicably moved to a forum where only one side of the discussion is permitted.

biko wrote: »
    Discussion on possible future costs of smoking.
    AH->Smoking forum

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Good. Increase the price to €20 instead. Sick of walking down the street with people smoking and the wind blowing the smoke in my face. Why cant they breathe in fresh clean air instead of dirty rotten smoke. And letting others breathe in their dirty rotten smoke. Just because we're outside, it doesn't make it ok for people to pull out a fag and smoke it. Like standing in a bus queue. Ban smoking altogether.

I'v often said it but the best solution is to blow the whole planet up, That way nobody can do anything the Holy Joe's get offended about. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Someone else mentioned it but I think the key thing with this its that it would seriously cut down on youngsters taking up smoking, as they are hardly like to go looking for black-market cigarettesor smoking rollies initially.

Long-term this would have serious benefits in terms of public health. Also as it would mean that in the long-term as the older generations of smokers die out the revenue from tax on smoking would disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭rubadubduba

i can hear the sound of forthy foot container doors shuting all over europe at the moment.

• Advertisement

charlemont wrote: »
    I'v often said it but the best solution is to blow the whole planet up, That way nobody can do anything the Holy Joe's get offended about. ;)

You're welcome to blow your own planet up.

I live on this one, and I'd like my kids to have as much clean air (and as few explosions) as possible.

Tanks a tousand.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Biggins wrote: »
    It seems that the cigs might just be getting even more expensive in the years to come.
    I'm not all that worried, but I'll miss the brands i smoke now. I'll miss them, as I'll be getting my tobacco from elsewhere.

Fun fact for today; which will be more profitable for the dealers; tobacco or drugs, esp as the former is more addictive than the latter.

Extra fun fact; smokers will still need doctors, but there won't be any tax money to keep the doctors paid...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This sounds very much like a revenue raising exercise. If they genuinely wanted the shock value then they would make the increase all in one year. By raising the price incrementally year after year they are reducing the impact of the increases. As a former smoker I know I could have justified continuing to smoke after a €1 increase, and then possibly done the same the next year and so on, but with a single big increase €9 to €15 I would have dropped them straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,910 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Was in Gatwick Airport a few years back just mooching around and waiting

Some of the cartons of cigarettes had a photo of a mans neck, it was just disturbing to look at, or maybe I'm just squeamish
    I'm not sure how to describe it but I'd imagine many of you carton buyers have seen it

Years later I still remember it

Maybe James Reilly should look at that as a tool instead of the price

It's been somewhat proven that is merely serves to desensitize smokers, especially in a state of withdrawal. It might work as a deterrent, though.
    Mind, I've not met anyone who started smoking by just strolling into a shop and buying a pack, it's generally a build-up from casual use to get to
    that point.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/hbm.21293/abstract

On the brightside, if you are an aspirant crime-scene investigator and a smoker, you might just be in luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

This thread is going in the wrong direction for this forum & I can't see it adding any further value.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement