Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cigarette Run to Eastern Europe, where to go?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

Muahahaha wrote: »

Anyway I'm wondering does anyone know the EU limit for rolling tobacco for personal use? A mate is keen to do a similar trip

Would be interested in the answer to this as well. Thinking about a weekend away soon and combining break/tobacco run.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

does anyone know the EU limit for rolling tobacco for personal use?
    The Irish Revenue guideline is 1kg tobacco and 800 cigarettes. This bar-room lawyer had it at 3kg tobacco and 3,200 cigarettes. In reality there is no set limit as such, just varying degrees of whether the Customs officer who stops you believes that you're not a smuggler.

Less than 1kg of tobacco is the only point where you're guaranteed no hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

The Canaries are duty free islands so the 200 limit is correct. Czech Rep is a full EU member so the limit is 3200 for personal use as they are not on the list quoted from a post above this one

Bulgaria
    Croatia
    Hungary
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Romania

Not sure where the 3200 is coming from as the Revenue website states 800.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not sure where the 3200 is coming from as the Revenue website states 800.

http://www.revenue.ie/en/customs/leaflets/pn1878.html

Revenue have been flogging that line for a few years now, but they admitted in front of an Oireachtas Committee a few years back that the real limit is 3200- they said thats the guidance they received from the EU. The Indo ran an article on it at the time but it no longer seems to be on their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Revenue have been flogging that line for a few years now, but they admitted in front of an Oireachtas Committee a few years back that the real limit is 3200- they said thats the guidance they received from the EU. The Indo ran an article on it at the time but it no longer seems to be on their site.

Wonder has anyone used that line with a customs officer when they were stopped? Must have a look on some EU sites for that 3200 figure.

Edit, haven't found the 3200 but an EU site states 800 also.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/alcohol-tobacco-cash/index_en.htm

Here's another.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/within_eu/index_en.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Wonder has anyone used that line with a customs officer when they were stopped? Must have a look on some EU sites for that 3200 figure.

Edit, haven't found the 3200 but an EU site states 800 also.

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/carry/alcohol-tobacco-cash/index_en.htm

Here's another.

http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/common/travellers/within_eu/index_en.htm

Listen to BeerNut. You can bring in as many cigarettes as you want. The onus is on Revenue to prove you're a smuggler. If Revenue can't prove this and seize your cigarettes for the hell of it then I'm pretty sure you can pursue them through the courts.
    BeerNut wrote: »
    The Irish Revenue guideline is 1kg tobacco and 800 cigarettes. This bar-room lawyer had it at 3kg tobacco and 3,200 cigarettes. In reality there is no set limit as such, just varying degrees of whether the Customs officer who stops you believes that you're not a smuggler.

Less than 1kg of tobacco is the only point where you're guaranteed no hassle.

Chris___ wrote: »
    The onus is on Revenue to prove you're a smuggler.
    It's not, though. They can just decide it and seize your goods. What Revenue might have said at an Oireachtas committee is fine from behind your keyboard, but I can't see it being such a persuasive argument when you're standing in front of a customs officer in the airport who keeps quoting the figures from the website at you.

It's worth bearing in mind also that Revenue has powers which the Gardaí can only dream of. Revenue has been around a lot longer, for one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That might be the case Beernut but if Revenue said it at an Oireachtas committee then surely a traveller who had cigarettes confiscated has a right of appeal to the Rights Commissioner and point out their previous guidance? AFAIK the 3200 figure is an EU one, by quoting their own 800 figure they're hoping to dupe people out of established EU norms.

surely a traveller who had cigarettes confiscated has a right of appeal to the Rights Commissioner and point out their previous guidance?
    Something like that, I'm sure. But you don't get to smoke your delicious cigarettes while you're jumping through those hoops. It sounds like a lot of effort, with no guarantee of success at the end.
    AFAIK the 3200 figure is an EU one, by quoting their own 800 figure they're hoping to dupe people out of established EU norms.
    Here's the EU's page on the subject. 800 is the no-challenge mark, not 3200.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Hi I'm going to Croatia on Saturday.I was curious how much a carton of smokes would cost in the duty free at split airport.I found prices on a website but it didn't look like it had been updated for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Jakub P.

Forgive me if it's not the most proper thread to ask. I couldn't find a better one and I didn't want to start a new one.
    I'd like to buy some tobacco pipe from USA. Not much, 1/2 lb. How it works in Ireland? Is it going to be confiscated? Or is there some amount which can be bought without risk of confiscation?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ella23

I'm not a smoker, but i remember noting in Slovakia in February that an unknown brand of cigarettes (i'm presuming local) were for sale for 2.25. A far cry from over a tenner a pack here.

I forgot to mention I'd like to place an order in one of the online stores in USA.

The short answer is that buying any exciseable product by mail order is likely to be awkward. As I understand it, for buying from outside the EU, the Irish Customs will stop it, bill you for the taxes, and release it when you pay them.

I don't mind paying custom duties.
    In Poland for instance, you can't buy tobacco from abroad and order by mail. It may result in confiscation of goods and imposition of fine. What's worse, latest legislation has led to situation where you can't buy any tobacco products within a country for the same reason. I was wondering if Ireland has the same or similar anti-tobacco policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but can anyone tell me if you can buy Benson & Hedges and/or Silk Cut Purple in Bratislava ? If you can, are they the same as over here ? I've heard some people mention that eastern European cigarettes have a different taste/flavour than home ones. I'm not a smoker so I've no idea, but will be in Bratislava in the autumn and have family members who smoke.

Thanks !

Edit: also what sort of prices might they be in Slovakia ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭abarkie

Russman wrote: »
    Apologies if this is in the wrong thread, but can anyone tell me if you can buy Benson & Hedges and/or Silk Cut Purple in Bratislava ? If you can, are they the same as over here ? I've heard some people mention that eastern European cigarettes have a different taste/flavour than home ones. I'm not a smoker so I've no idea, but will be in Bratislava in the autumn and have family members who smoke.

Thanks !

Edit: also what sort of prices might they be in Slovakia ?

Did you find Benson & Hedges and/or Silk Cut Purple in Bratislava ?

At the airport or in town?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭Russman

abarkie wrote: »
    Did you find Benson & Hedges and/or Silk Cut Purple in Bratislava ?

At the airport or in town?

The airport had Benson & Hedges but not Gold, they didn’t have Silk Cut. I wasn’t in the town, went directly to Vienna by bus where Benson & Hedges Gold were widely available but couldn’t get Silk Cut anywhere.

Advertisement