Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thurles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

infogiver wrote: »
    Apache Pizza are opening in Friar St.
    They've been advertising for staff on Facebook.
    Papa Johns/Supermacs won't be too pleased.

Which premises? The former pub?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭infogiver

Oops! wrote: »
    Which premises? The former pub?

https://g.co/kgs/28FXf2

Wonder how well it will do? Serous amount of take-away's in Thurles now.... not to mention bookies, pubs and hairdressers... Does'nt seem many other businesses after that doing well going by the sheer volume of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

infogiver wrote: »
    I don't think the neighbors in the Avenue would be too pleased with a bowling alley.
    Quite genteel around that road.

Not that long ago it was an operating cinema. Not much else could be done with it since its a building

Not that long ago it was an operating cinema. Not much else could be done with it since its a building

The cinema didn't have hordes of noisy tipsy teenagers milling around. The facade is Art Deco and listed so I agree not much can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

whats going on in the shopping center.
    it seams to be dying.
    i was down there yesterday , sports shop gone, butchers closing
    no one in extra vision or the 2 shops beside it

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭macjohn

whats going on in the shopping center.
    it seams to be dying.
    i was down there yesterday , sports shop gone, butchers closing
    no one in extra vision or the 2 shops beside it

Could never find much in the sports shop.

Wow - thought that butcher was doing really well. When is it closing??
    Is their other butcher shop staying open?

macjohn wrote: »
    Could never find much in the sports shop.

Wow - thought that butcher was doing really well. When is it closing??
    Is their other butcher shop staying open?

i wasnt in since . maybe tomorrow.

i wasnt in since . maybe tomorrow.

In tomorrow or maybe closing tomorrow?

Anything about it in the local press?

Edit -
    would have thought rest of centre doing fine.
    Its small centre but Dunnes, boots, quigleys, other pharmacy, shoe shop and barber and hairdresser always seem to be ticking over well at the quiet times of the week.

In tomorrow or maybe closing tomorrow?

Anything about it in the local press?

me tomorrow.
    i think it closed on the 31st of march but dont know

• Advertisement

me tomorrow.
    i think it closed on the 31st of march but dont know

You were in before my edit. :-)

Wow -shocked that they gone -

The butcher up beside centra (Premier meats) seems to always be busy/semi busy so maybe the trade has moved?
    Faster in and out than the shopping centre and quality seems good with the odds bits we got when down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aloevera33

I'm pretty sure it will be reopened under new management. A guy from Borrisoleigh taking it on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Heard it was more a personal decision rather than business why theres a change in management

whats going on with the new pizza shop. no progress in a long time

I was just wondering about that myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

Cant get staff, as was only paying training wages and not minimum wage which was a disgrace, same story as other apache stores around Tipp. Like €7 a hour or so. As said the staff were "training" to make pizzas etc.

Also they need planning permission to be granted to be able to pull up outside the door for deliveries I believe.

May not open for a long time yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭jooksavage

shmeee wrote: »
    Cant get staff, as was only paying training wages and not minimum wage which was a disgrace, same story as other apache stores around Tipp. Like €7 a hour or so. As said the staff were "training" to make pizzas etc.

Also they need planning permission to be granted to be able to pull up outside the door for deliveries I believe.

May not open for a long time yet.

Was wondering what was going on there. Is that the same building that used to be "Video World" years ago? Friar Street is just depressing as hell these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,562 ✭✭✭shmeee

jooksavage wrote: »
    Was wondering what was going on there. Is that the same building that used to be "Video World" years ago? Friar Street is just depressing as hell these days.

I don't remember a video world place there. But could have been.

There used to be a pizza place there years ago alright, one of the first in town. It didn't last long.

Your correct on Friar Street. Looks awful with all the abandoned buildings and the general state of them.

jooksavage wrote: »

That's the place...

Oops! wrote: »
    That's the place...

We used to be spoiled for choice with video shops: Video World, Video Box up at Dwyers, the video shop up in the Quarrey, that small one in the square and finally Xtravision came in and closed everyone. Well, at least that's going well...

• Advertisement

While we're on Thurles of Yore, anyone remember a chipper called Apollo? It used to be in the square as far as I remember. Not a great spot for chips but they had a Street Fighter II arcade machine that kept us coming back.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭mikep

I remember the Apollo alright..was it where the pharmacy is now??
    They also had Hyper Olympics..I was fairly handy at the 100 M!

John Dempsey owned it at the time i think....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,982 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Did anybody do Darkness into Light in Thurles this morning?
    1650 people turned up.
    I know it was the first year being held in Thurles but I felt it was a let down.
    Ive done it in Cashel and there was a better buzz. For example there was a choir on the plaza, sausages and tea at the finish point with a DJ to really bouy up the mood.
    There was no vibe in Thurles with just tea and biscuits at end. People just disbanded.
    I feel for an event that gets massive publicly and is for an excellent cause, local businesses could have been approached for sponsorship to really make a memorable event not just another 5k walk.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

mikep wrote: »
    I remember the Apollo alright..was it where the pharmacy is now??
    They also had Hyper Olympics..I was fairly handy at the 100 M!

No where Ladbrokes was. There's a photo of it on Facebook. Search Feile Trip to Tipp

See attached. Couldn't link it

Whats gone in where the old library used to be?
    Is it joined to the existing site where Shannon Doc is (not sure what else that building is used for) on Parnell street?

Seems to be a large carpark as well - was there a lot of waste ground behind/beside the then library?

Very central - imagine a small housing development would have been popular?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Whats gone in where the old library used to be?
    Is it joined to the existing site where Shannon Doc is (not sure what else that building is used for) on Parnell street?

Seems to be a large carpark as well - was there a lot of waste ground behind/beside the then library?

Very central - imagine a small housing development would have been popular?

It's the new council office. All staff moved from site opposite Erin Foods and that building is now empty. Not sure if there's any plans to sell that site which is also very central and I'm sure would be popular for a small housing development.

It's the new council office. All staff moved from site opposite Erin Foods and that building is now empty. Not sure if there's any plans to sell that site which is also very central and I'm sure would be popular for a small housing development.

Thanks HcksawJimDuggan.

Hadn't hear a thing about it. Is that town council? Would there be many staff?

Were their old offices run down?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭HcksawJimDuggan

Thanks HcksawJimDuggan.

Hadn't hear a thing about it. Is that town council? Would there be many staff?

Were their old offices run down?

It's the municipal district office for Thurles/Templemore. They've been there a good few months at this stage. Not sure on staff numbers but I'd take a guess at around 20 based on the number of cars that used to be parked at the old office.

Old office was a fairly old building but you'd imagine it could have been easily renovated. Maybe space for staff was an issue in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭frankz

It's the municipal district office for Thurles/Templemore. They've been there a good few months at this stage. Not sure on staff numbers but I'd take a guess at around 20 based on the number of cars that used to be parked at the old office.

Old office was a fairly old building but you'd imagine it could have been easily renovated. Maybe space for staff was an issue in there.

Just a guess but as the car park has a lot of spots and the building is really quite large (actually a number of buildings with a lot of street frontage) I expect there must be more plans for it than 20 staff.

Don't think there was an official opening so maybe if there is only currently around 20 staff moved in they are waiting till there is higher occupancy levels.
    (As I say just my speculation ......)

Advertisement