Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Ciara - Strong Winds & Potential Snow **TECHNICAL DISCUSSION**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Larbre34 wrote: »
    You're not making allowance for modification in air mass.

I see treacherous conditions with mountain blizzards but cold rain and stinging winds at all other levels for a few days, maybe some night time sleetyness.

A colder than normal north westerly this is, a tight gradient over the north Atlantic may mean less modification meaning we see more in the way of snow than is normal from this source...
    Definitely one to watch and I'd say some will be surprised with snow in the early days of next week. Betting knock beats its 10cm or whatever it got during that north westerly last time around.

Some hope of the showers driving well inland and also to some lucky eastern areas at times. The wind chill will make it feel freezing everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

BLIZZARD7 wrote: »
    A colder than normal north westerly this is, a tight gradient over the north Atlantic may mean less modification meaning we see more in the way of snow than is normal from this source...
    Definitely one to watch and I'd say some will be surprised with snow in the early days of next week. Betting knock beats its 10cm or whatever it got during that north westerly last time around.

Some hope of the showers driving well inland and also to some lucky eastern areas at times. The wind chill will make it feel freezing everywhere.

Strong winds usually mean modified sea air gets further inland and also showers will be short lived and mainly hail along the west coast counties. Some areas will probably get a bit of slush for a while (similar to last week) but its not exactly something to get excited about

Even the usually hopelessly optimistic GFS snow charts are only showing a temporary dusting

102-780UK_hup3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Strong winds usually mean modified sea air gets further inland and also showers will be short lived and mainly hail along the west coast counties. Some areas will probably get a bit of slush for a while (similar to last week) but its not exactly something to get excited about

Even the usually hopelessly optimistic GFS snow charts are only showing a temporary dusting

102-780UK_hup3.GIF

Slush? , there were coverings of snow across the west last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

102-780UK_hup3.GIF

That's assuming that the air that gets to the coastline is heavily modified by the time it arrives (as is usual) - given the extremely cold source I'm saying it wont have the usual time to modify over the Atlantic. -8/-9c 850hpa air is rare enough coming in from the west, at this time of year it should be all snow at those temperatures. Time will tell but I'd say quite a few areas will end up with more than 'slush'.

I'd ignore those GFS snow charts altogether regardless of that they show to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Well. you have had an interesting time since I went abed last night...

This storm will hit the Canadian coast first so I will get bulletins from family in Newfoundland and BC coast. Forecast is dire there. My family now have a mechanical digging machine at their door..

BC has thawed so they are very wet.

Grateful for warnings here; always a case of prepare for the worst surely. Although conceptions of "worst" and " best" are... different in the snow-loving weather forum ;)

Bitterly cold already here tonight, so my preparations will include putting ALL the winter blankets etc back on the bed.... making a huge pan of chicken soup.... well -equipped out here so even if the gas pipes freeze ( oh, will lag them also...) I have a camping stove and cartridges.

If it is less than forecast, nothing lost. A useful exercise is preparation.

Supplies came in yesterday; the ferry folk are canny, and that actually made it very real for me.

"Cry havoc and let loose the dogs and snow!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,316 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Quite a strong trailing wave on the ECM for Monday evening and overnight, at that point could be very wintry on higher ground in all regions, rather mixed closer to sea level where most people live, but feeling very cold in a piercing wind.

Seeing a bit of a range of outcomes for Sunday, mostly differences in exact timing rather than different peak winds. Will probably be worst in the morning, relenting slightly for Sunday afternoon-evening then ramping up again during Monday.

Not convinced that the models have a really good handle on this complex situation yet, GEM for example has a belt of very strong upper level winds through the southern half of the country, south coast could be surprisingly blustery too.

Right. As some would say, squeaky bum time.

Here’s details of the Galway 2020 event due to take place at the mouth of the Corrib. From their website:
    The official opening ceremony of Galway 2020 will take place in South Park at the Claddagh on the 8th February 2020 at 5pm with gates open from 4pm. Crowds of up to 50,000 spectators are expected at the event.

The two-hour launch will raise the curtain for Galway’s European Capital of Culture year of events and will involve live music, pyrotechnics with fire and flame effects using a mixture of turf fires and gas flames. The ceremony will represent a timeless and authentic celebration of the people and traditions of Galway and Ireland, and will be delivered in a largescale dramatic explosion of sound and vision.

Seven hand-carved steel sculptures, the town spheres, each reflecting the stories and traditions of the Galway town they represent (Clifden, An Spidéal, Tuam, Ballinasloe, Portumna, Athenry and Galway) will be transformed by flame into giant glowing orbs, and will light up the length of the Galway headland overlooking Galway Bay. Galway’s fleet of iconic traditional boats, the Galway hookers, will assemble illuminated in the bay.

Spectators will view the launch from the green areas of South Park, with the spectacle located on the pathway close to the beach. A procession with fire and flames will start the event, leading into South Park (or ‘The Swamp’ as it is known locally) from the Claddagh Quay and Nimmo’s Pier.

Gates open at 4pm and entertainment commences at 5pm with live performances by Róisín Elsafty, Amazing Apples and No Crows. Plan to arrive early to ensure you find a space and are ready for the main event which starts at 6pm. The approximate end time is 7.45pm.

Can anyone give model-based details as to conditions that this event will encounter on Saturday, assuming they go ahead with it? (Believe me, they’re pig-headed enough to ignore Orange warnings!). As to where South Park is located, it’s right at the mouth of the Corrib, exposed to the coast in an arc from the South-West-South direction to roughly due East.

Any other event I’d expect cancellation, but there’s been a lot invested in this, and a lot of negative comment that would get vindicated if this was put off. Temporary structures all over the park right now. Steel fencing, a stage with backing on it, two towercrane like towers hanging a metal structure between them with cables, smaller structures underneath, Signs on temporary two-leg steel pole structures.

It sticks in my craw that this would need to be postponed or cancelled, but if it’s unsafe then it’s unsafe. The more detail about likely conditions at the time mentioned, in the location set, the better!

SeaSlacker wrote: »

Here’s details of the Galway 2020 event due to take place at the mouth of the Corrib. From their website:

Can anyone give model-based details as to conditions that this event will encounter on Saturday, assuming they go ahead with it? (Believe me, they’re pig-headed enough to ignore Orange warnings!). As to where South Park is located, it’s right at the mouth of the Corrib, exposed to the coast in an arc from the South-West-South direction to roughly due East.

Any other event I’d expect cancellation, but there’s been a lot invested in this, and a lot of negative comment that would get vindicated if this was put off. Temporary structures all over the park right now. Steel fencing, a stage with backing on it, two towercrane like towers hanging a metal structure between them with cables, smaller structures underneath, Signs on temporary two-leg steel pole structures.

It sticks in my craw that this would need to be postponed or cancelled, but if it’s unsafe then it’s unsafe. The more detail about likely conditions at the time mentioned, in the location set, the better!

Love your enthusiasm ; may it be rewarded! And hoping the experts here will help .

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

SeaSlacker wrote: »

I know the area well having played many a soccer game vs West in The Swamp !
    It didn’t get it name for nothing as you know
    It’s going to be very wet and very windy
    That is an exposed area obviously and given what you have said about temporary structures etc I would say ye might be forced to cancel ........turnout is going to be way down anyway as it will be peeing rain and blowing a gale so it would be both sensible and prudent to rearrange if possible ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

The hope is the front will speed up.

Delaying the event a few hours could help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Foggy Jew

I absolutely love these threads. Most of the technical stuff goes way over my head, but I still subscribe to the 'Red sky at night.....' theory. The sky this morning is redder than I have ever seen it. Batten down the hatches.

It's the bally ballyness of it that makes it all seem so bally bally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

00Z ECM has strongest winds of all actually Monday night and along the north coast. Malin Head may come out of this with the highest gusts. Sunday, though, still a windy day for the whole country. Tomorrow too, but not as prolonged.

I'm usually not one to see much in a westerly flow but this one, given its strength across the whole 2000 km from Greenland, should deliver mostly snow showers for many later Monday and Tuesday.

Foggy Jew wrote: »
    I absolutely love these threads. Most of the technical stuff goes way over my head, but I still subscribe to the 'Red sky at night.....' theory. The sky this morning is redder than I have ever seen it. Batten down the hatches.

Having read this I now really have to emerge from my warm nest to go out and see !

MY WORD ! Bad out there and totally monochrome! Bitter wild wind... shivers... No walk this morning; got as far as the gate... did not think it would be as bad as this today but clearly the ferry knew!

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭coillsaille

@Sea Slacker
    Well one thing I spotted in that run down that I say will definitely be off is the hookers assembling in the bay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Nice morning in Galway. It's been a lovely week actually.
    I guess we better make the most of this morning because I think many of us will be housebound for the next few days.

Just been out bringing in turf and coal, harvesting kale and covering the gas tank. It is dark-clouded and wild out there. But at the back . north facing where the turf is, all is calm and not a ripple on the ocean. Southerly .. worse than I expected so early and will not be out there again... snugged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

@Sea Slacker
    Well one thing I spotted in that run down that I say will definitely be off is the hookers assembling in the bay.

It would be a miserable night to be hanging around in a short skirt and fishnet tights alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

00Z ECM has strongest winds of all actually Monday night and along the north coast. Malin Head may come out of this with the highest gusts. Sunday, though, still a windy day for the whole country. Tomorrow too, but not as prolonged.

I'm usually not one to see much in a westerly flow but this one, given its strength across the whole 2000 km from Greenland, should deliver mostly snow showers for many later Monday and Tuesday.

That GL, always ramping snow events:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

It would be a miserable night to be hanging around in a short skirt and fishnet tights alright.

Thought it was rugby players myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Foggy Jew wrote: »

Darkest morning in Clare all winter, real dark low clouds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That GL, always ramping snow events:D

I thought his account was hacked by the frog when I first read it ha

It`s the first option, Keeer rah to use your spelling. Sleep soundly now.

I say KEE AR A.. the Italian way

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ciara is pronounced like She-Ra, but with a K sound instead (Kee Ra)

Anyway, noticed the sky this morning very dark. Was sure it was going to open up, but nothing as of yet. Its been a lovely clear and calm week overall, but biting cold. Looking forward to a bit of cutting weather. A good cold front and frost, will kill off any of the bugs and bacteria lying about the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

The slight potential for heavier more organised snow on Monday is slightly further south on GFS taking it into Munster rather than Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well this is bittersweet. I just won't
    be able to enjoy the snow next Monday as i would in the past. If the upper air temperatures don't get downgraded, given the wind speed, areas that normally don't do well from a north westerly airflow, will do so. I guess this is the one positive from the very strong pv this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

So we all getting a bit of snow then?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Do ye think the gaa matches will go ahead this weekend planning heading to omagh this Saturday for kerry v Tyrone. match sunday at 2 PM thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

G.L mentioning snow showers has brightened up my Friday. Childhood excitement reawakening within me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

kerryjack wrote: »
    Do ye think the gaa matches will go ahead this weekend planning heading to omagh this Saturday for kerry v Tyrone. match sunday at 2 PM thanks

Best to keep an eye on updates and use common sense. If you think the weather is too bad then stay at home. It's a long spin from Kerry to Omagh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ARPEGE 06Z an upgrade in wind speeds for Sunday, more in line now with the ECM, strongest winds coming in early from around 05.00 to early afternoon at this stage. Very heavy rain.

Advertisement