Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather Books

• 29-12-2011 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Can someone recommend a good weather book. Something that covers how snow forms, weather systems, weather charts, sun spots, maraunder minimum, AO, polar vortex, etc, etc.
    It would probably be something like a 1st year university book.
    Something more involved than a layman's book but not overly technical.

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Hey pal , ye this is the one i used in 1st year. Very basic and easy to read.
    Just went through it there and everything you mentioned is in it. But not as an in-depth as here. Best bet , buying a 2nd hand one id say.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Meteorology-Understanding-Atmosphere-Steven-Ackerman/dp/0495112852/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325160091&sr=8-1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

I would highly recommend all of Tim Vasquez' books, which are in depth but not too high in the maths.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/

If you're into maths then Roland Stuhl's Meteorology for Scientists and Engineers is a great read.

And if you're feeling fairly suicidal and just love your vector calculus then Holton's Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology is for you, but I would put out a health warning with it! He does go into strat warming etc. so an interesting read, but the maths could be a killer.

Of course www.theweatherprediction.com has probably more information in there than all of the above put together!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Su Campu wrote: »
    I would highly recommend all of Tim Vasquez' books, which are in depth but not too high in the maths.

http://www.weathergraphics.com/

If you're into maths then Roland Stuhl's Meteorology for Scientists and Engineers is a great read.

And if you're feeling fairly suicidal and just love your vector calculus then Holton's Introduction to Dynamic Meteorology is for you, but I would put out a health warning with it! He does go into strat warming etc. so an interesting read, but the maths could be a killer.

Of course www.theweatherprediction.com has probably more information in there than all of the above put together!

Reading that brings back some horrible memories.. shudder

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

Hi guys
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I don't mind a bit of Maths. Looking forward to checking these out. It would be great if my library had them so I could check them out before I buy. Actually are they available in any bricks-and-mortar shop? Be great to have a flick through first.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Hi guys
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. I don't mind a bit of Maths. Looking forward to checking these out. It would be great if my library had them so I could check them out before I buy. Actually are they available in any bricks-and-mortar shop? Be great to have a flick through first.

The best place to get Holton would be the Ucd bookshop, they might have a few other good met books too, but dont hand over amy cash without checking the maths content beforhand, these books arent cheap.

• Advertisement
Advertisement