Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Met Éireann Website (beta)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭kavanagh_h

IF Met Eireann want to be all politically correct they have no business talking about climate change because they are meteorologists not climatologists but I suppose they can use the get out of jail "all scientists agree man is causing climate change" BS and just keep the agenda going and going while it's of popular opinion, they're even teaching this rubbish science in schools instead of teaching them real science and then listening to these kids talk about it on the radio it's truly sad.

They should teach them the science of Radio and get them studying for their Ham Radio license , why ? because it's fun and because it teaches them real science , about how radio works and it can teach them to communicate to the outside world in the event of a modern communications blackout or shut down and also because without Radio they wouldn't have internet and teach them why that is, explain modern uses of radio, mobile phones, Wifi, Cell towers etc.

I was fascinated with science in School, it was my best subject but unfortunately what we were thought was also rubbish with little in the way of practical material.

Teaching about radio teaches them about electronics and how the atmosphere is responsible for global communications , they can build stuff and they can include modern digital electronics with radio and how the two together can provide say text communications to someone the far side of the planet with just a few watts of power using a simple radio and a raspberry pi.

Instead they brainwash Children and older secondary school children about climate change nonsense.

At least teach them the science of Weather, real science.

Who are these scientists ? are they all the worlds scientists or just climatologists ? pity they never come out in public and say they support the Global scam or they don't.

Oh god i could listen to you all day. I could pick your brain for months on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Comhra wrote: »
    That's a pretty lousy map alright. They probably want to make it as unattractive as possible in order to make people use their new website.

Horrible looking map alright, but still easier on the eye than that one on the new site. All those town names for a start are just plain ugly and unnecessary. If people don't know where they already are on the map, then they should go back to school.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    All those town names for a start are just plain ugly and unnecessary. If people don't know where they already are on the map

Just in case you forgot what country we are, there is "Ireland" shown TWICE - full professionalism I would say :D :

map.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Not about the web page but their new Alexa app for the echo show has volume issues. This a quick video that was recorded by RTE usually by one of their presenters eg Stephen Daly and the volume is very low compared to the news etc. How hard is it to set a standardized volume for items

That's a pretty lousy map alright. They probably want to make it as unattractive as possible in order to make people use their new website.

Still better than the open street map they use on the new site. Looks just silly with roads and motorways visible. A plain outline landmass is all thats required. The mobile version at m.met.ie still using a green landmass but with the new style imagery for precipitation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,769 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Does anyone know how I can switch off my location on the new website/mobile app (particularly the app)?

I clearly clicked to allow it access my location at some point, but that just means it zooms in to my third of the country when I open the forecast maps - but I want to see the whole country including west of the west coast.

I've been around the menus but can't find anywhere to deny access to my location.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭tiegan

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Does anyone know how I can switch off my location on the new website/mobile app (particularly the app)?

I clearly clicked to allow it access my location at some point, but that just means it zooms in to my third of the country when I open the forecast maps - but I want to see the whole country including west of the west coast.

I've been around the menus but can't find anywhere to deny access to my location.
    I just use my fingers to zoom out on the maps so you can see the whole map

tiegan wrote: »
    I just use my fingers to zoom out on the maps so you can see the whole map

Yeah, obviously I can do that, but I'd prefer if it would open by default to the full map.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

click on the serch icon top right of screen on the app.
    you will then get location lookup,my location is at the bottom turn it off.
    just to note it will by default go to glassnevin Dublin.
    so it will be zoomed into that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Poker Face

17-pdr wrote: »
    The mobile version at m.met.ie still using a green landmass but with the new style imagery for precipitation.

I much rather using the old site for the radar but since they changed to the new style imagery for precipitation its showing the rain in the wrong area compared to the new radar.

weather.jpg

• Advertisement

Poker Face wrote: »
    I much rather using the old site for the radar but since they changed to the new style imagery for precipitation its showing the rain in the wrong area compared to the new radar.

weather.jpg

Yes, I'd noticed that as well - wasn't sure if it was just a timing thing (the new site updates every 5 mins, the old only every 15) - but it's been enough to push me onto using the new site altogether :( I'll miss the old one.

ZX7R wrote: »
    click on the serch icon top right of screen on the app.
    you will then get location lookup,my location is at the bottom turn it off.
    just to note it will by default go to glassnevin Dublin.
    so it will be zoomed into that location.
    Thanks for that - could not figure out where it was!!

Since the default is to Glasnevin, it's of no use to me as I'm in Dublin anyway. Oh well. Another reason to hate the new site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Comhrá

The only good thing about this new radar display is the inclusion of sferics.

ME seem to be unable to do a good, simple radar page with proper colour scales.

They keep trying new schemes and graphics - none really satisfactory.

I find the main display on the ME homepage very frustrating to use.

WEB_radar5_202002101100.png

Any idea what are those colorful crosses on new map?

Yes, I'd noticed that as well - wasn't sure if it was just a timing thing (the new site updates every 5 mins, the old only every 15) - but it's been enough to push me onto using the new site altogether :( I'll miss the old one.

I don't think its timing, it looks like old one has the rain too far to the northwest

zom wrote: »

I presume its Lightening Strikes, they different colors would be how long ago they happened

Poker Face wrote: »
    I presume its Lightening Strikes, they different colors would be how long ago they happened

Thanks for the clue: https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/lightning

zom wrote: »

They're called sferics. They indicate the location and times of recent lightning strokes. The lighter the colour, the more recent the stroke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_atmospheric

Looks like it has been fixed.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Is the rainfall radar stuck for anybody else? Stuck at 13.35 for me?

Scrap that....unstuck now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Is the rainfall radar stuck for anybody else? Stuck at 13.35 for me?

Ok for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Very sad to read this:

https://www.met.ie/martin-sweeney-r-i-p-met-eireann-voluntary-weather-observer-for-over-50-years

Still have a copy of his ‘ Climate of Straide, 1963 to 1999 and Weather Extremes in Mayo during the 20th Century’. Fascinating read. He was a real weather enthusiast by all accounts and someone who clearly loved his job for its own sake.

New Moon

What's the issue with all the false sferics randomly showing up on the ME radar page?

I've noticed them regularly, when it's pretty obvious from current met conditions there's no lightning activity anywhere in or around the country.

This image is from this morning's display on the old website. The new site shows similar spurious sferics. Strange that it can't be rectified. Could be very misleading if the present weather conditions were more conducive to thunderstorms.

WEB_radar5_202007210930.png

What's the issue with all the false sferics randomly showing up on the ME radar page?

I've noticed them regularly, when it's pretty obvious from current met conditions there's no lightning activity anywhere in or around the country.

This image is from this morning's display on the old website. The new site shows similar spurious sferics. Strange that it can't be rectified. Could be very misleading if the present weather conditions were more conducive to thunderstorms.

WEB_radar5_202007210930.png

What's the link to the old site, the new one bugs the crap out of me.

What's the link to the old site, the new one bugs the crap out of me.

http://archive.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭octo

https://www.met.ie/climate/what-we-measure/lightning

Lightning

The ATDnet Lightning Detection System is optimised for detecting cloud-to-ground lightning strokes and flashes rather than cloud lightning (inter-cloud and intra-cloud lightning). The majority of lightning occurs in the storm cloud itself or between clouds. On average approximately 10 to 20 percent of all lightning over Ireland are cloud-to-ground strikes.

Lightning locations are sourced from the WMO SFERIC (SFUK) messages. Some atmospherics may not be detected. Isolated spurious returns can also occur. Detection efficiency is variable, ATDnet is capable of detecting in excess of 90% of cloud-to-ground lightning flashes over Ireland. Typical location accuracy is estimated to be around 1–3km, or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Were they showing up on Netweather at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

met.ie seem to report the same as Net Weather, who use ADT.

vidur.is were reporting strikes at that time, with a few more. Not sure if they use ADT, so if both were reporting strikes at the time they might not have been spurious.
    520682.jpg

Ah thanks, I lost it, how refreshing. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭pauldry

Met Eireanns rainfall forecast is behind schedule too

Rainfall currently is what theyve predicted for 4am

I tell ya, ya wouldnt want to be a farmer depending on them to bring in the hay.

Advertisement