Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you could solve 3 cases..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

Watch the documentary 'Rainy in Glenageary'
    I tried but the woman doing the voiceover is doing my head in.Shes very dreary

• Registered Users Posts: 13,291 ✭✭✭✭8-10

chicorytip wrote: »
    The makers seem to believe they know the real culprit - dropping heavy hints as to what his current address and occupation are

What hints did they give?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭chicorytip

8-10 wrote:
    What hints did they give?

<MOD SNIP>

MOD NOTE: No discussion of ongoing Irish cases please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Hoboo

dubstarr wrote: »
    I tried but the woman doing the voiceover is doing my head in.Shes very dreary

Sounds like she's reading a junior cert students essay, it's bloody awful.

<MOD SNIP>

Wow that's very interesting. I know that area very well and hadn't heard that bit, I'll watch the documentary

• Advertisement

Hoboo wrote:
    Sounds like she's reading a junior cert students essay, it's bloody awful.

The accompanying soundtrack seems inappropriate also - a kind of upbeat, happy sounding guitar music - considering the gloomy subject matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭xalot

For me it's William Tyrell, probably because he reminds me of my own son.

I'm not sure if they'll ever find out what happened to him, due to no evidence and the fact that he was in foster care meant that they were very limited in what information could be released to the public.

I'd like to believe his real parents are hiding him somewhere but unfortunately I dont think that's the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I liked it (Rainy in Glenageary), thought it would work better as a podcast as opposed to someone crushing as many photos as they can into an app to alter them and then pass it off as a movie. I thought the narrator did a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 huiwe878778

I did, last night. The makers seem to believe they know the real culprit - dropping heavy hints as to what his current address and occupation are - based on information gleaned from an interview with a retired detective who worked on the case and an anonymous online tip off. Make of that what you will.This individual was regarded as the chief suspect in the early days of the investigation but no charges were ever brought against (him).

No, I don't remember the documentary making any reference to that suspect's current address - but it definitely gave me the impression two of the suspects knew each other, which wasn't something I had considered before.

Also, didn't it say at the beginning of the film that friends of the victim were also sources?

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭tommythecat

I watched this doc and I must have missed something in it. What is at the end of the road she goes to at the end. Who lived there?

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Teepinaw

I watched this doc and I must have missed something in it. What is at the end of the road she goes to at the end. Who lived there?

I just watched it also.
    Very criptic ending!

Didn't know about the murder at all- was away in 1999. Dun Laoghaire sounds a small bit wild from watching that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

1. What exactly happened to Trevor Deeley.

2. Who took Madeline McCann

3. Who killed Jo Jo Dullard and is it a rich farmers son who is being protected by the cops, like the rumours go?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,498 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Where can you watch the Doc ?

Teepinaw wrote: »
    Didn't know about the murder at all- was away in 1999. Dun Laoghaire sounds a small bit wild from watching that.

I was in secondary school at the time in the area and her father was a teacher of mine that year. Was a really shocking time.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Where can you watch the Doc ?

It’s just on YouTube. “Rainy in Glenageary”.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,242 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

8-10 wrote: »
    I was in secondary school at the time in the area and her father was a teacher of mine that year. Was a really shocking time.

I went to the same school as her father too. Sound man. Still say hello to him when I see him around Dun Laoghaire. It was a shocking time and very disappointing that the case has yet to be solved.

There was one particular house in the final shot. The implication made by the film makers is that this was the home address of the likely killer at the time and, perhaps, he still lives there. There was also an oblique reference to what may have been or still is his place of employment i.e. "qualms of conscience in the Department of Justice". The individual concerned was considered a suspect and interviewed at the time. He was a drug user with previous convictions for assaults against women using knives. The programme suggests - based on an interview with an unnamed senior detective who worked on the case - that this man's movements on the night of Raoinaid's murder and the alibis he provided to Gardai were not investigated thoroughly and checked properly. He may also have been the same man, wearing bloodsoaked trousers, who took a taxi from Dun Laoighre to the Granville Road area of Blackrock shortly after the time the killing was likely to have occurred. So, make of all that what you will. To me, it just adds further to the complete sense of mystery surrounding the entire case. Twenty years have elapsed with not even a hint of a real breakthrough in the investigation.

There was one particular house in the final shot. The implication made by the film makers is that this was the home address of the likely killer at the time and, perhaps, he still lives there. There was also an oblique reference to what may have been or still is his place of employment i.e. "qualms of conscience in the Department of Justice". The individual concerned was considered a suspect and interviewed at the time. He was a drug user with previous convictions for assaults against women using knives. The programme suggests - based on an interview with an unnamed senior detective who worked on the case - that this man's movements on the night of Raoinaid's murder and the alibis he provided to Gardai were not investigated thoroughly and checked properly. He may also have been the same man, wearing bloodsoaked trousers, who took a taxi from Dun Laoighre to the Granville Road area of Blackrock shortly after the time the killing was likely to have occurred. So, make of all that what you will. To me, it just adds further to the complete sense of mystery surrounding the entire case. Twenty years have elapsed with not even a hint of a real breakthrough in the investigation.

There's 2 houses in the final shot. The filmmaker says that the anonymous tip brought them to a road that came up earlier in their investigation. They don't say what but remember they mention that after speaking to the allegedly aggressive female friend that they try to find out more details about her but don't find anything significant...other than confirming what her family address was at the time.

I take the implication that one of those was her family house and the taxi passenger was looking to go there that night.

Also, I notice today that one of the houses in the final shot is up for sale on Daft, and the one beside it recently sold. Not sure which it's supposed to be and this is just my reading of the documentary, just found it interesting.

It's possible that there were 2 people involved covering for each other like the retired detective theorised

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn't the guy in the taxi say he was trying to get home before his girlfriend?

Documentary was OK, they could have done with a few interviews and reconstructions.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Didn't the guy in the taxi say he was trying to get home before his girlfriend?

Documentary was OK, they could have done with a few interviews and reconstructions.

Yes he did...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've had to delete a few posts, getting into detail on an Irish case which is not permitted on the forum as per the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

NATLOR wrote: »
    Philip Cairns
    Raonaid Murray
    Madeline Macann

20 year anniversary of the Raonaid Murray murder.

Father was on the radio issuing a new appeal for the perpetrator to come forward. I think they've a fair idea of who that is but don't have the evidence.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

I know this is an old thread that has popped back up, but I would love to know whatever happened to Amy Fitzpatrick. I would absolutely point the finger at her mothers other half.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭White lighting

1. Who stole Cotton eye Joe delaneys E's
    2. Fiona Pender( Its fairly well known who done it just getting enough evidence and a body.
    3. The Zodiac

There was one particular house in the final shot.
    8-10 wrote: »
    There's 2 houses in the final shot.

I just watched that scene again.

In that final illustrated shot, there are 4 x clearly visible houses, 1 x street and 1 x street entrance.

The voiceover woman says "We had reached a street that had already come up in our investigation, at an earlier stage".

IMHO it's unlikely she is talking about some house that happens to be visible and more likely a reference to one of the two streets visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Delphi Murders would be top of my list.

I just watched that scene again.

In that final illustrated shot, there are 4 x clearly visible houses, 1 x street and 1 x street entrance.

The voiceover woman says "We had reached a street that had already come up in our investigation, at an earlier stage".

IMHO it's unlikely she is talking about some house that happens to be visible and more likely a reference to one of the two streets visible.

Edit: took a look again and I'm only seeing 2 visible houses and 2 obscured. The street which is named clearly in the documentary, is the street where that shot is taken from. The houses are on the perpendicular street at the end of it. A very well used and well known junction so yeah might just be to give familiarity to the general area

Yeah, the street the documentary goes down is the second Granville Road. Big question is, what's at the end of it? The Bunty Share person said 'you need to go all the way down Granville Road' and then later clarified that meant the second one. I imagine it was probably just the one road a hundred or so years ago...

Going all the way down it leads to another street, and possibly yet another if we include the street entrance that is visible in the final painting.

That street entrance might be the key, come to think of it, because they didn't have to paint it from that angle and it's the final painting?

Then again, she says 'we had REACHED a street' so maybe it's just the one landed on right after stop sign?

• Advertisement

Yeah, the street the documentary goes down is the second Granville Road. Big question is, what's at the end of it? The Bunty Share person said 'you need to go all the way down Granville Road' and then later clarified that meant the second one. I imagine it was probably just the one road a hundred or so years ago...

Going all the way down it leads to another street, and possibly yet another if we include the street entrance that is visible in the final painting.

That street entrance might be the key, come to think of it, because they didn't have to paint it from that angle and it's the final painting?
    My impression was that it was Granville Road - the second mentioned - that the film makers were travelling along before coming to a stop at it's end. In the final shot there are at least two houses visible but the main focus and angle of the camera rests on one in particular.

Advertisement