Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Thread title suggestion: Let's get the Carty started!

Are Roux taking your Daly meds?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭freyners

I propose The view from your Friends Porch

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Well now you conceed how important "power" is.
    2 years I'm saying it

You can't get back from 5 meters to the tryline attacking to rolled out of the 22. + mauls. Unacceptable, even vs Munster. We're ok in other areas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭testtech05

10 mins from the end I would have settled for a lbp but gutted at the end that we couldn't convert huge chance against 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

Such a strange game! For 75 mins or so we didn't deserve anything from the game but also duno how we didn't get the win! Absolutely shocking decision making at last scrum! Its 15 v 13 and we decide to pick and go!

• Advertisement

1-4 or 4-1 does not change anything, Munster would have had 5 point-lead in the table, with the home game against us in hands

With this BP and Cardiff only taking 4 points against 14 men, we clearly nailed down Top 3 then Europe next season

Pro "12" are now a warnup for Racing game and Rainbow Cup in 3 months. Let's make good use of it to give gametime to Papali'i, O'Donnell, Duggan, Tierney, N.Murray, S.Marterson, Reilly, Dean, SOB 2.0, Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

connachta wrote: »
    1-4 or 4-1 does not change anything, Munster would have had 5 point-lead in the table, with the home game against us in hands

With this BP and Cardiff only taking 4 points with 14 men, we clearly nailed down Top 3 then Europe next season

Pro "12" are now a warup for Racing game and Rainbow Cup in 3 months. Let's make good use of it to give gametime to Papali'i, O'Donnell, Duggan, Tierney, N.Murray, S.Marterson, Reilly, Dean, SOB 2.0, Sullivan

We’re not nailed down for second at all and if this Rainbow Cup doesn’t happen, and it won’t unless the SA teams come north, there’s a big chance we’ll be reverting to the playoff systems we’ve had the past couple seasons.

its_phil wrote: »
    We’re not nailed down for second at all and if this Rainbow Cup doesn’t happen, and it won’t unless the SA teams come north, there’s a big chance we’ll be reverting to the playoff systems we’ve had the past couple seasons.

I hope it does go on, we all need that bit of fresh air.
    2nd or 3rd then absolutely dosen't matter, except for european pots
    Which do not matter either, as every French/English top 5 are pretty close level-wise

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can’t see the Rainbow Cup going ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭lenny4545

its_phil wrote: »

I agree, not even close to nailed on for top 3 we could have done with a Scarlets victory 2day to take Cardiff out of the equation!

• Advertisement

Can’t see the Rainbow Cup going ahead.

I do think it will. Not because covid will be over, but because you'll have enough vaccine doses on the market at the time to "decently" order 800 of them for 16 X 50 players/staff in April

I hope it does go on, we all need that bit of fresh air.
    2nd or 3rd then absolutely dosen't matter, except for european pots
    Which do not matter either, as every French/English top 5 are pretty close level-wise

Great if you think that, but hope in times of uncertainty doesn’t do a lot when a competition structure for the end of season in Pro 14 is under threat and no news on 2021-22 Champions Cup structure has come out.

You keep playing your best XV until you see what way the cards come up.

lenny4545 wrote: »
    I agree, not even close to nailed on for top 3 we could have done with a Scarlets victory 2day to take Cardiff out of the equation!

I'm 99% sure we're safe, 2 games in hands and Cardiff home.
    If we screw to that extent, we simply do not deserve anything

I do think it will. Not because covid will be over, but because you'll have enough vaccine doses on the market at the time to "decently" order 800 of them for 16 X 50 players/staff in April

Don’t think Pfizer are selling vaccines on Amazon just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

South Africa haven't even begun to roll out vaccines and wont be until April or May and with different strains causing issues with transmission .... not sure rugby teams will be prioritised over more vulnerable groups

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Rainbow cup surely won’t go ahead. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a few weeks where the pro14 is put on hold tbh.

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    South Africa haven't even begun to roll out vaccines and wont be until April or May and with different strains causing issues with transmission .... not sure rugby teams will be prioritised over more vulnerable groups

It won't be about S-A, but Pro16 order for professional players.

As "overall" vaccine will be advanced enough in Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Wegians89

There’s no way sports players will be given priority for the vaccine. Not sure on how true it is but apparently it would be the end of March before the vaccine was distributed to just the at risk people in Ireland. That’s not including health care works and other essential workers. Can’t see the general population getting the vaccine this side of June. That’s not too say restrictions won’t ease, when the more at risk are looked after. Either way I can’t see the rainbow cup going ahead

There is very little chance of being able to buy vaccines for rugby players direct from the manufacturer while there is a global pandemic going on. We have already been told by our Govt that the current restrictions
    Are likely to be around until the end of March

A group in the least impacted age range getting vaccines ahead of more vulnerable groups is not going to happen IMO.

Pro14 will likely be played out, 6n could be pushed back and Rainbow cup will be canned is what I reckon will happen. No idea what will happen with European Cup.

A regionalised Rainbow Cup with some form of knockout playoffs in June might be a solution but I cannot see it going ahead in April. If the European rugby calendar starts to get moved around then that will take all precedence given it is the most financially beneficial to the Unions

I do hope we have kind of a fresh breeze to June.
    If it's not Rainbow Cub, let's invite Saracens, Ealing, Jaguares, Japanese franchise, Fidjian Druas, anything innovative, don't let our league die this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

If it's not Rainbow Cub, let's invite Saracens, Ealing, Jaguares, Japanese franchise, Fidjian Druas, anything innovative, don't let our league die this year.

The league isn't going to die because we don't have a massive summer clash of the Irish provences vs the mighty ealing trailfinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

After finishing the game its pretty clear connacht are going to have to work in there defensive and offensive maul and ball retention in the ground after every hit there struggling and using up so much energy just to get the ball back to the scum half then when there turned over you're losing 20/30 meters with an opposing team kicking to touch and another 10/15 from the lineout maul. Connacht making life extremely difficult for themselves and trying to make up the difference playing risky moves off loose play in a wind and rain soaked sports ground, never going to work in the medium to long term.

Pro12 - played to a full conclusion until end of march
    European Cup - who knows
    6 nations - could be pushed back to April or May start.

There is a huge pile of rugby to be played between now and June. The championship starts in March in England so that's a no go

There won't be teams from other timezones invited especially in the current climate. Japan wouldn't travel in October for the Nations Cup and the situation is pretty bad there currently with Covid and they are also trying to stage the Olympics this summer.

Right now minimal travel is the most likely scenario for the next 3 or 4 months. Even getting the testing done is lucky considering the sheer volumes of people seeking tests in last 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭macslash

Were there any updates on the phases with the upgrading of the Sportsground. I obviously know the overall redevelopment will be significantly delayed but man I wish the new pitch was in already. Soft ground is no craic with the way we play now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭KBurke85

macslash wrote: »
    Were there any updates on the phases with the upgrading of the Sportsground. I obviously know the overall redevelopment will be significantly delayed but man I wish the new pitch was in already. Soft ground is no craic with the way we play now

The pitch was meant to be replaced at the end of this season. Not sure if that’s still the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

KBurke85 wrote: »
    The pitch was meant to be replaced at the end of this season. Not sure if that’s still the case

It was originally meant to be replaced at the end of last season (during the summer). Was there an update to that since?

Pro12 - played to a full conclusion until end of march
    European Cup - who knows
    6 nations - could be pushed back to April or May start.

There is a huge pile of rugby to be played between now and June. The championship starts in March in England so that's a no go

There won't be teams from other timezones invited especially in the current climate. Japan wouldn't travel in October for the Nations Cup and the situation is pretty bad there currently with Covid and they are also trying to stage the Olympics this summer.

Right now minimal travel is the most likely scenario for the next 3 or 4 months. Even getting the testing done is lucky considering the sheer volumes of people seeking tests in last 2 weeks.

Raibow Cup to run as announced (I trust Pro14 and not Burkie)
    means Connacht are through Europe next season

Cardiff have only 5 games in hands, and have to take 20 points in the minimal scenario Connacht only take 15 point out of 7 games

That's quite a done deal. And that's why I really hope the projected Rainbow Cup stands. Europe in the bag + pleasure for young guys vs Saffers. This is what we need. Please. Stick to it

Raibow Cup to run as announced (I trust Pro14 and not Burkie)
    means Connacht are through Europe next season

Cardiff have only 5 games in hands, and have to take 20 points in the minimal scenario Connacht only take 15 point out of 7 games

That's quite a done deal. And that's why I really hope the projected Rainbow Cup stands. Europe in the bag + pleasure for young guys vs Saffers. This is what we need. Please. Stick to it

And are you aware of the current situation around Covid19 happening right now?

Or is this like last Spring when you ignored all of that because it doesn't suit your agenda. You didn't trust the pro14 much when they were talking about declaring postponed games as 0-0 because it harmed connacht.

If the 6n gets pushed back along with European cup its because of governments elsewhere (France) are banning travel until the situation improves. Munster v Leinster already seems set for January 22nd or 23rd according to todays papers so the calendar looks like it is beginning to be shifted around now.

If the 6n gets pushed back 2 months to start in April -which is a very real possibility - then the Rainbow Cup is gone.

It doesn't matter what the pro14 organisers want. The Unions need the 6n income and the 6n will be played. There is also major commitments to broadcaster's for the HC too. That is the money keeping the game afloat right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭mjp

Watching back last ten mins of game lastnight and it's sickening how close we came to sneaking the win from munsters grasps. Would have been so sweet as we are often on the receiving end of such losses and would have given huge boost to confidence of these players in beating munster at full strength. Hate to single out one person but Paul Boyle has to take a lot of flak for the call on past scrum. We don't know if initial plan was to go 8-9-14 play out to the backs and if pressure on scrum made him change plan at last minute but to pick and go against 13 men on near side was criminal. Friend will be like a bear with them for messing up a chance to make a pro 14 final over such a schoolboy error. This is second time in a month that Boyle is getting flak for poor decision making and whilst he's young and a serious prospect it's an area he needs to be more clued in to. The positive is that it's something that he can easily improve on and comes with experience. With an experienced half back pairing like marmion and Carty behind him this should not have happened. If they butchered the chance out wide with a knock on it would be much easier to take the loss than the way it unfolded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

And are you aware of the current situation around Covid19 happening right now?

Or is this like last Spring when you ignored all of that because it doesn't suit your agenda. You didn't trust the pro14 much when they were talking about declaring postponed games as 0-0 because it harmed connacht.

If the 6n gets pushed back along with European cup its because of governments elsewhere (France) are banning travel until the situation improves. Munster v Leinster already seems set for January 22nd or 23rd according to todays papers so the calendar looks like it is beginning to be shifted around now.

If the 6n gets pushed back 2 months to start in April -which is a very real possibility - then the Rainbow Cup is gone.

It doesn't matter what the pro14 organisers want. The Unions need the 6n income and the 6n will be played. There is also major commitments to broadcaster's for the HC too. That is the money keeping the game afloat right now.

Not this again, please.

Advertisement