Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭KBurke85

connachta wrote: »
    Why? 7-days after being contact case then tested negative is ok, doesn't it?

14 days regardless in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

KBurke85 wrote: »
    14 days regardless in Ireland

For contact case, without any positive test? gosh!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,963 ✭✭✭connachta

Anyway if it's "back-row" mainly who are covid contacts,
    We can still hope to have Papali'i, Aki, and SOB (back from suspension, forced rest, and injury) who may not be covid cases at all

+ Marmion and O'Donnell starting the game if chosen

That's enough rotation for those who played a lot : i.e E.Masterson, Oliver, Arnold (+ Wootton/Porch, Blade on the bench only if needing a rest)

I'd like to have McAllister as Buckley emptied the tank for weeks,
    otherwise we have pretty fresh and fit players (Delahunt, McCoy/Bealham, Thornbury, Roux, S.Masterson, Carty -did not play in November, Daly -bench vs Ulster- BOD, Healy)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭Wegians89

For next week I’d love to see a back line of:
    blade Carty wootton Daly Bundee Sullivan porch
    Can’t predict the pack without knowing who’s available

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

D'Arcy is a pain in the hole
    Perfect thread title!

• Advertisement

At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, on their day who is better than Jack Carty ? Finn Russell is probably the only definite for me. Obviously consistency is another story but he is an absolute joy to watch when on form, his skillset is ridiculous.

https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/1346068582988447745

If Tom Daly has a similarly impressive game against Munster an Irish call up can’t be far off. Been solid since signing and really starting to push on. Feel blade will take marmions place in the squad too. Delahunt would be putting pressure on heffernans spot too

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭RonnieL

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Delahunt would be putting pressure on heffernans spot too

I've always been a big fan of Shane, but I think he has been particularly good recently, especially the last day against Leinster. He works so hard, and that is highlighted whenever he's near a loose ball because he generally works the hardest to secure it. He also brings a bit of niggle which I enjoy (except when he gets penalized for it, like against Racing!). As you said, I wouldn't be surprised to see his form rewarded by an Ireland call up.

Regarding the Munster fixture, I've got my fingers crossed for dry/calm weather. Wed/windy conditions seem to exacerbate our lineout/maul defense woes, while also impacting our ability to execute our attacking structures. I wasn't overly happy when I realised sportsground 2.0 is going to feature a synthetic surface, but now I think it can't happen soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Wegians89 wrote: »
    If Tom Daly has a similarly impressive game against Munster an Irish call up can’t be far off. Been solid since signing and really starting to push on. Feel blade will take marmions place in the squad too. Delahunt would be putting pressure on heffernans spot too

Both have been super all season. Delahunt is excellent and is really pushing on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Nice piece by MK on the Leinster game

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-connacht-leinster-5315778-Jan2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Cool map of Carty's kicks
    ?width=630&version=5316161

Said it during the autumn he really should have been given game time by Ireland.
    His tactical kicking would be a great option and his ability to run/pass/kick is badly needed.

Friend has shown great vision as a Head Coach. Terrible loss to Connacht & Irish rugby if the rumors of his departure prove to be true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

What are the Andy Friend departure rumours?
    French or English clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,720 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Sorry the rumors of Friend's departure are only what i was told here.
    i'll look for the post. it's sounds a little "he told me she said he would be because..."
    But we would have heard if he was staying by now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=115762940&postcount=9907

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭EachSmallChime

Gotcha, you'd have to wonder how a full year of no in-person contact with his kids in Australia is affecting him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭serfboard

Nice piece by MK on the Leinster game

https://www.the42.ie/analysis-connacht-leinster-5315778-Jan2021/?utm_source=shortlink

Cool map of Carty's kicks
    That's an excellent analysis there - well worth reading. Thanks for posting.

Doesn’t sound too promising that and of the covid cases will be back for the Munster match. Bundee also a doubt

Big fan of Carty and hope he gets a proper run out in an Ireland team not starved of confidence and belief.

Also thought Tom Daly was exceptional at the weekend and has put in some excellent performances of late. Enjoyed this commentary on where he is at the moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ycd4RNANcP8&ab_channel=OffTheBall

Bit of a Brad Barritt about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭macslash

Maybe it's just me being presumptuous and hopeful but does this not look a little like Andy is looking to next season? Or is it a case of what else would he be saying.

'It’s a bit like shopping in Aldi as opposed to Brown Thomas' https://the42.ie/5316692

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

macslash wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me being presumptuous and hopeful but does this not look a little like Andy is looking to next season? Or is it a case of what else would he be saying.

'It’s a bit like shopping in Aldi as opposed to Brown Thomas' https://the42.ie/5316692

Where did the info come from that he was leaving ? Is there an article or a piece somewhere?

macslash wrote: »

Thought so myself, but didn’t KK sign butler before friend came in?

*although that probably was under different circumstances given kk was sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭KBurke85

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Where did the info come from that he was leaving ? Is there an article or a piece somewhere?

Someone asked the question in the old thread was there any word on his contract.

Lucas 44 replied as follows

Rumour is he’s gone. Expected to join as interim HC & attack coach for the crusaders with Robertson set to join the back room staff for the lions tour... Carolan expected to be promoted to HC with Noel McNamara coming in as attack coach from leinster. Done a great job with Irish 20s & leinster a’s... news comes from McNamara’s wife’s brother on stephens day

• Advertisement

I wonder will Caunnaufht be able to harness the same degree of Leinster academy energy against the turnips this weekend?

Sorry zZippy and no need to be looking at the off topic thread.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Venjur wrote: »
    I wonder will Caunnaufht be able to harness the same degree of Leinster academy energy against the turnips this weekend?

Sorry zZippy and no need to be looking at the off topic thread.

You'd swear there was only one Connacht mod

That's a paddlin

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

You'd swear there was only one Connacht mod

That's a paddlin

G'wan Connie, ban him! Ban, ban, ban!!

:pac:

Very nervous about the game this weekend. No idea what sort of team Connacht will be able to put out, while Munster seem to be able of going full strength

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Just to throw an idea out here, and while they were playing in different positions, the one common denominator between the Leinster performance and the Racing performance was the two Masterson brothers.

The maul no longer fell to pieces

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

ElisaAtWar wrote: »
    Just to throw an idea out here, and while they were playing in different positions, the one common denominator between the Leinster performance and the Racing performance was the two Masterson brothers.

The maul no longer fell to pieces

They both started the game against Racing though. Not to take away from the Mastersons, who are playing some great rugby, I just feel that the improvement in the lineout/maul defence has more to do with having Thornbury and Roux back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Thread title ideas:

Hard Boyle'd Egg chasers
    Mastersons of the Universe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Will suggest for thread title

Best Blade Plans

Butlers Cabin

Thornbury in the side

More importantly, interested to see team named in few mins.

Cautiously optimistic about tomorrow now. Better team on paper, better bench. If they can bring the same energy, could be special

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

https://twitter.com/connachtrugby/status/1347513326025252865?s=21

Finlay Bealham, Ultan Dillane, Ben O’Donnell into side. Heffernan Paul Boyle and Marmion strengthen bench. Along with Thornbury there is a fair impact there.

More optimistic after seeing teams named, hope for decent conditions and should be a good game.

Advertisement