Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ireland u20 6 nations and world championship 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Purist98

bayern wrote: »
    not sure he will be pushing for a starting place.

Think he'll certainly be in the 23 as he can play 6,7 and 8.
    Daniel Okeke in contention?
    Also what would be your backline prediction?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭bayern

I wouldn't be so certain Hickey will make 23, will have to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

UAEguy2020 wrote: »
    If we are talking about Cosgrave being a ready made pro at 19/20 then yes he is behind, if we are talking about him being a ready made pro in the next few years he’s got time.

Interesting comments-when he came on he looked very tentative with ball in hand and actually dropped the ball twice while carrying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭UAEguy2020

Interesting comments-when he came on he looked very tentative with ball in hand and actually dropped the ball twice while carrying

Which can happen as he is only 19 and human, the more game time he gets the better he will handle his nerves, he’s got time. At the same time I also thought he looked pretty dangerous when he didn’t drop the ball and looked one of the few backs that might make something happen (granted that wouldn’t be difficult considering Osborne and to an extent O’Reilly were the only backs that looked threatening).

Possible irish u20 backline

9. Doak
    10. Corkery
    11. Rankin
    12. Carson
    13. Kiely
    14. Moxham
    15. Osborne

Or

9. Murphy
    10. Whooley
    11. Leahy
    12. Flannery
    13. Jennings
    14. McGettrick
    15. Cosgrave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

9. Doak
    10. Corkery
    11. Rankin
    12. Carson
    13. Kiely
    14. Moxham
    15. Osborne

Or

9. Murphy
    10. Whooley
    11. Leahy
    12. Flannery
    13. Jennings
    14. McGettrick
    15. Cosgrave

From a Connacht point of view I'll be disappointed if Shane Jennings doesn't start, given that he has spent 1.5 seasons as a full academy player and is our most naturally talented back since Robbie Henshaw.

You reckon Karl Martin won't be in contention?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Moxham looks like the business. He looks physically ready could be a top level talent.

From a Connacht point of view I'll be disappointed if Shane Jennings doesn't start, given that he has spent 1.5 seasons as a full academy player and is our most naturally talented back since Robbie Henshaw.

You reckon Karl Martin won't be in contention?

Martin's played very little to any rugby.

But who knows, these are wild guesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GURU NR 1

1. Boyle
    2. Stewart
    3. Egan
    4. Soroka
    5. McCarthy
    6. Sheridan
    7. McCormack
    8. Kendellan

If anyone had seen last years u19 Interpros, Leinster's front row of Sam Illo and Hugo O'Malley were clearly the dominant props, expect both to feature

GURU NR 1 wrote: »
    If anyone had seen last years u19 Interpros, Leinster's front row of Sam Illo and Hugo O'Malley were clearly the dominant props, expect both to feature

Illo was in recent ireland u20 camp, no sign of O'Malley though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Wegians89

9. Doak
    10. Corkery
    11. Rankin
    12. Carson
    13. Kiely
    14. Moxham
    15. Osborne

Or

9. Murphy
    10. Whooley
    11. Leahy
    12. Flannery
    13. Jennings
    14. McGettrick
    15. Cosgrave

Forde at 10 ?

Wegians89 wrote: »
    Forde at 10 ?

it's possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Moxham looks like the business. He looks physically ready could be a top level talent.

Very raw in terms of skill and looked lost defensively in last years u20's. In terms of physical tools he looks great, and the Ulster coaches have obviously seen something in him recently that they haven't previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

9. Doak
    10. Corkery
    11. Rankin
    12. Carson
    13. Kiely
    14. Moxham
    15. Osborne

Or

9. Murphy
    10. Whooley
    11. Leahy
    12. Flannery
    13. Jennings
    14. McGettrick
    15. Cosgrave

For me

9 Doak
    10 Corkery
    11 Moxham
    12 Martin
    13 Kiely
    14 Cosgrave
    15 Osborne

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

Does the standard of u20s seem better this year for Ireland? There seems to be some hype around a number of lads.

Does the standard of u20s seem better this year for Ireland? There seems to be some hype around a number of lads.

there is hype around a number of players every year, i'd say this year is no different.

I'd be reluctant to say this years team will be as good as last years or the year before.

Ulster & Connacht have a number of top prospects, which is good to see. But Munster aren't as strong as previous years. While Leinster may be stronger than last year but not close to the year previous.

It’s hard to tell really until they come together. Must say I didn’t think much of last years u20 group until the 6N and I must say I was blown away at how good they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 GURU NR 1

Illo was in recent ireland u20 camp, no sign of O'Malley though.

O’Malley must be injured so.....

O’Malley must be injured so.....

Could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

Boyle is the best prop in Leinster, ahead of the two mentioned by a landslide

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭OneLungDavy

there is hype around a number of players every year, i'd say this year is no different.

I'd be reluctant to say this years team will be as good as last years or the year before.

Ulster & Connacht have a number of top prospects, which is good to see. But Munster aren't as strong as previous years. While Leinster may be stronger than last year but not close to the year previous.
    It's probably just me being more aware of them this year. During the first lockdown when we had no rugby for months, I found myself watching schoolboy rugby and researching all the best prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Just catching up on the predictions for the backline now, lots of interesting selection dilemmas. Is Harry O’Riordan injured or has he dropped off a bit? Also, has Karl Martin not played much rugby lately due to injury or other?
    Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donnybrook1

From certain events recently the most likely team for Ireland 20s is

1.Boyle
    2.Stewart
    3.Egan
    4.McCarthy
    5.Sheridan
    6.Soroka
    7.McCormack
    8.Kendellen
    9.Doak
    10.Corkery
    11.Moxham
    12.Martin / Carson
    13.O’Riordan
    14.Osbourne
    15.Cosgrave

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

1.Boyle
    2.Stewart
    3.Egan
    4.McCarthy
    5.Sheridan
    6.Soroka
    7.McCormack
    8.Kendellen
    9.Doak
    10.Corkery
    11.Moxham
    12.Martin / Carson
    13.O’Riordan
    14.Osbourne
    15.Cosgrave

Cheers.

Just wondering why Egan? What events are you thinking of as regards him? I haven't seen him feature lately unless he attended the wider u20 camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Lucas44

1.Boyle
    2.Stewart
    3.Egan
    4.McCarthy
    5.Sheridan
    6.Soroka
    7.McCormack
    8.Kendellen
    9.Doak
    10.Corkery
    11.Moxham
    12.Martin / Carson
    13.O’Riordan
    14.Osbourne
    15.Cosgrave

Would be shocked if darragh Murray doesn’t start, also Shane Jennings will be ahead of o’riordan for 13, will just depend on if Kelly plays or not

• Registered Users Posts: 8 donnybrook1

O’Riordan surely starts at 13 , very close to the team last year started and played well against Munster Development. Second Row/ Back Row about 3 nailed down spots in terms of soroka McCarthy and kendellen
    Between Murray and Sheridan for second row and backdown depending on soroka position . Number 7 is a position that is open with 4 Connacht back rows and Crothers vying for that position

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭alanb92

Do we expect it to be 1 year too soon for Tector to start at 10? He was very impressive in the Schools cup last year. ROG name checked him on Newstalk earlier in relation to long term 10 prospects.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Hands Like Flippers

When is squad likely do be announced?

• Advertisement

When is squad likely do be announced?

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Advertisement