Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lost hope

Options
  • 26-11-2020 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am unsure as to why I am making this post, I just need a release

My wife abuses me, physically, mentally. Ive become a prisoner in my home. Life is one endless cycle of fear and walking on egg shells. I work from home and the latest is too take my laptop to prevent me working, interupt workcalls with threats of embarrassing in front of colleagues.

Over the years ive been hit, called names daily, locked outside for days,told to kill myself, get cancer and do everyone a favour is another favorite. Im not perfect, i do everything i can to provide. Ive a good well paid job, professional

Mentally ive always been solid but im slowly losing hope..in what I dont know maybe myself.

I appreciate people will offer advice, condemn her, question what i may have done etc. I just needto out this 'out there'for me if that makes sense.

Thank you for listening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Get out of there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Leaving this relationship is definitely the best option but I appreciate it's easier said than done.

I think the first thing you need to do is call Amen and speak to someone who understands your situation and can give you a sympathetic ear and practical advice. Do that today, please.

Can you speak to family/friends too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Why would you stay in a situation like that? You've spelled it out yourself, its not like you dont see it. Is it a fear of being single? If so you need to face that otherwise you'll allow people to abuse you for the rest of your life. A relationship is meant to add to your life not something where you're getting beat up in every way. You deserve better than this, leave her and dont take this nonsense for even one more day.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Goodigal

You've acknowledged it here. Your life is a misery. Another human being is not entitled to treat you like that. Leave the house as soon as you can. Please talk to someone and arrange somewhere safe to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the replies

My fear I suppose is the Irish justice system and family courts.

I also fear accepting failure

Apart from work 'friends' ive lost all close friends and family due to beingisolated by her over the years. Or she has created issues amongst those i was close to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Jesus i am a woman and i am feeling sorry for you just take a bag of your things and leave rent a room in a house with other guys and just relax for a few weeks do your work and drink a few beers. This is no life for you and you are a good provider just walk she will behave when you stop paying the mortgage and the groceries. Its takes about 4 years to have a house re possessed a few months off not paying the mortgage will put some manners on her & wont do any real damage to your ownership.. if she tries to be nice continue to live with the lads and start paying a few bills. Dont let her know where you live and limit answering the barrage of calls you will get. The first step takes a bit of courage but once you move you will ask yourself why you didnt do so sooner. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Sorry to hear what youre going through. I wouldnt leave just yet, contact Amen and contact a solicitor and dont let her know that youve done any of this. When you get advice from those services then leave but make sure you have all your ducks in a row so to speak before you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Could you also speak with somebody you work with, to explain that situation (confidentially) so that they can appreciate where you are coming from if she does something more with your work / laptop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Apart from work 'friends' ive lost all close friends and family due to beingisolated by her over the years. Or she has created issues amongst those i was close to

There is zero failure here. It will be a success to get yourself out of that situation.

A lot of people will be happy for you that you've got out and will support you. Reach out to them.

You cannot stay in a situation like that. Contact amen.ie for support too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,001 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Just FYI op Amen are now Men's Aid www.mensaid.ie is their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Thanks for the replies

If an old friend I'd lost contact with got in touch with me and confided to me what you have I'd welcome him into my life with open arms and do anything I could to help and support him. Wouldn't you do the same? My heart would break if I thought an old friend was going through something like this and was afraid to renew contact and ask for help because of the lapse of time. I wouldn't care if its been 5, 10 or 15 years, if you were my friend I'd want to be there for you and I promise you that you still have friends who would be there for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Thanks for the replies

Pick up the phone and ask for help you'd be surprised. When you say family courts you must have kids. Do you want them to see you like this. Do you want them to think this is normal. You can do it. It will probably leave you with very little money for a while but you will be much better off. If you have parent or siblings ask for help. They probably don't know the extent of it but they probably figured out she "bosses you about". Ask for help worst case they say now and she never finds out, you approach it another way.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thank you all for the replies and advice, encouragement. I must be cutting onions as my eyes welled up reading some Sardonicat in particular

I would try confide in work but not 100% convinced it would remain confidential.

Family is a sore point, i suspect they know but Ive fallen out with them, sometimes in defence if her

I will contact Amen too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Thank you all for the replies and advice, encouragement. I must be cutting onions as my eyes welled up reading some Sardonicat in particular

I would try confide in work but not 100% convinced it would remain confidential.

Family is a sore point, i suspect they know but Ive fallen out with them, sometimes in defence if her

I will contact Amen too

Sardonicat is 100% right. I Would be the exact same. Most people would. Your family will probably be thrilled you're leaving. They probably have an inkling into what she is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Openmind2020

Life is too short , be brave and stand up
    This is not ok , u deserve peace and happiness 2 simple yet taken for granted things
    Walk and dont look back
    Peace and nornal are not something you should need to fight for
    U deserve those things ,and more

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭crazylady1

Hi OP. I have a friend who was in a similar position to you. His wife also said terrible things to him. And was abusive both mentally and physically. He had tears in his eyes telling us the awful stuff she had done to him. We knew she wasn't a nice person but to hear the details was shocking. He too had lost touch with his family and friends.

They are divorced now and he is much happier in himself. She still tries to create drama but he is able to deal with it now as there is distance between them.

He has reconnected with his family and friends. Everyone was so happy to hear from him. Reach out to your family OP. They will be delighted delighted to hear from you. They can give you the confidence and support that you need now.

It's very hard to see the woods from the trees when you are in the middle of it. But trust me you will be so much happier if you leave this women.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Sonic the Shaghog

I'm assuming it's the kids and fear of losing access that's really stopping you?

Maybe take baby steps. Go to a solicitor yourself, say nothing and get advice that's your first step.

However a big thing here is if she does this to you I wouldn't trust her with your kids either, she's dangerous, who's to say she won't start targeting one of your children next?

I'd be gathering evidence, make a detailed written log and also ask a solicitor if video evidence might help

I certainly can't see a judge being too generous if he sees what she's capable of

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I know you say that you're not close to your family and friends because of the past. She did that. She has manipulated situations and isolated you. That is part of the abuse. Is she abusive to your children (if you have any?)

If you reach out to your family and they accept you with open arms that will already un-nerve her she is relying on no one helping you divide and conquer. No mother under the sun wouldn't reach out to her son when he is in this awful place and help him. Your family might surprise you, do it before Xmas and spend Xmas in a home with a heart.

Sardonicat wrote: »
    If an old friend I'd lost contact with got in touch with me and confided to me what you have I'd welcome him into my life with open arms and do anything I could to help and support him. Wouldn't you do the same? My heart would break if I thought an old friend was going through something like this and was afraid to renew contact and ask for help because of the lapse of time. I wouldn't care if its been 5, 10 or 15 years, if you were my friend I'd want to be there for you and I promise you that you still have friends who would be there for you now.

I was extremely moved by your post what a lovely person you must be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,354 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

My wife abuses me, physically, mentally. Ive become a prisoner in my home. Life is one endless cycle of fear and walking on egg shells. I work from home and the latest is too take my laptop to prevent me working, interupt workcalls with threats of embarrassing in front of colleagues.

Over the years ive been hit, called names daily, locked outside for days,told to kill myself, get cancer and do everyone a favour is another favorite. Im not perfect, i do everything i can to provide. Ive a good well paid job, professional

Mentally ive always been solid but im slowly losing hope..in what I dont know maybe myself.

I appreciate people will offer advice, condemn her, question what i may have done etc. I just needto out this 'out there'for me if that makes sense.

Thank you for listening

# losinghope I can relate to a lot of what you've said , unfortunately. Too much in fact. If there are kids / house/ joint money involved get legal advice before you leave, but leave you must.
    I had a fear other the Irish legal system overwhelmingly favouring the woman but contact Amen and a solicitor to see where exactly you stand. Do that asap and before you leave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

cj maxx wrote: »
    # losinghope I can relate to a lot of what you've said , unfortunately. Too much in fact. If there are kids / house/ joint money involved get legal advice before you leave, but leave you must.
    I had a fear other the Irish legal system overwhelmingly favouring the woman but contact Amen and a solicitor to see where exactly you stand. Do that asap and before you leave

In all honesty, theres a misconception that women are always favored but it's not the case. If one partner is abusive, its the non abusive partner that is favored as its the welfare of the child that is priority.
    Dont let misconceptions stop you from leaving your wife or going to court if you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Great advice from others op.
    You deserve to be treated with respect and your partner's behaviour towards you is appalling and illegal.

Good luck

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Hi just a quick piece of advice. You know you need to leave, and I hear you on legal/family court worries. Do have all your ducks in a row first as someone pointed out. Write down all you can remember about the abuse, include dates, times, specifics. Can you secretly record this abuse? Any time you know that she's in her form and about to go off, set up your phone and record, video if you can but audio if not, and record it. There are free legal clinics and mens groups that can help, get all the advice you can before you make your move. You need to get yourself (and your children) out of that environment.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Remember it takes a victim on average 7 attempts to leave a situation like that - fear of reprisal, concern for children, money issues, lack of support from wider family are all things that factor in to your plan to leave.

It can feel overwhelming in a situation like this. You are so beaten down and defeated that even trying to think of an escape route out of it all can be very tough. So maybe right now, take one little step - Talk to MensAid. That's it. Don't focus on the seeming impossibility of the whole thing. Just start with a chat with someone who understands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

That fact that you've posted about your situation here is a huge first step. You've been given very good advice and remember that seeking help isn't showing weakness, it's showing strength. You can do this.

"It always seems impossible until it's done"
    Nelson Mandela

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I was in this situation, except as a female. Took me years to build up the courage to leave and I waited until our son was 15 and I thought he was old enough to cope - but I should have gotten out sooner. I started by telling just one friend and that made it easier to tell a second and then a counsellor. As others have advised talk to the organisations like Amen that are there to support you. If you do have children it will be tough but you will be in a better position to parent them when you are happy and relaxed which will eventually happen once you are free. This woman shouldn’t be allowed to treat you like this and get away with it and I think courts are finally recognising how awful domestic abuse and coercive control really is, regardless of gender. Wishing you the best. Baby steps and you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Thank you for listening

You have to take control of your life back.

Leave her.

But also if you can't leave her. Start taking control back.

contact family ..contact friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Thank you for listening

You not only need a break from where you are but you need someone by your side.

She would not do this if a friend of yours or a friend of hers shouted "What the fcuk is wrong with you?"

She hit you, and caused you pain...purely to wreck your spirit.

You love her...at least you think you do and can't envision something outside of her being a part of you.

Have you ever been to Amsterdam? Nip a way for a weekend....I'll meet you.

She doesn't think that you can live without her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭8kczg9v0swrydm

Hi OP

I think this situation can still be salvaged, for the sake of your marriage and your children.

It seems that your wife may have some sort of mental illness. This can happen easily enough - emotions from childhood not dealt with, some sort of a chemical imbalance in the brain etc. Perhaps she has bi-polar or is herself deeply depressed?

I think you should try to get her to see this in no uncertain terms. Her behaviour is erratic and unacceptable. Do not be surprised if she denies this though.

Additionally, (I don't want to be harsh to you) but you cannot be ever so gentle with her. You need to be firm, defend yourself as you have a right to (physically if necessary). You have to command a bit of respect with her and you will only achieve this through standing up for yourself.

Couples counseling is also going to be very important. You could work your way up to visiting Accord or Retrouvaille together. Try to also get her the psychological/medical help she needs.

As to yourself, while it may be a good idea to move out for a short time if things become unbearable, I would always counsel people not to give up on their marriage. That young woman you married, with whom you fell head over heels in love with, is still there, underneath the layers of anger, bitterness and whatever else. You can still get her back. It will take a bit of work, maybe much work, but you would not believe the turnarounds other married couples have achieved. Coming from situations which were way worse than yours. There is great strength in a marriage, remember that.

You can do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement