Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies Reopening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,610 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

razorhead wrote: »
    As for the remainder of your message/text.......

Short price but Momella - 12.59 Wincanton - should be hard beat....

Won at 7/4.

Think you might have got me mixed up with someone else there. :confused:
    Well, thankfully, my local PP was open today anyway. I was there at about 11.30am, maybe 15 in there at that time. Everyone was happy to have somewhere to go for a while

Seemed to be pretty busy all day yesterday in the ones I was in.
    Some punters went in, placed their bets and left before racing started, others just stayed there all afternoon during racing.
    I got locked out of 2 bookies yesterday as it was too busy inside, had to wait for people to leave before I got in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I'm gutted they'll be closing again. I already miss travel, gigs, galleries, cinemas, festivals in 2020. Funnily enough not missing restaurants or pubs as much the others. I'm going to be spending lockdown 3 hibernating with the occasional urban nature walk and books, poetry and music. Fingers crossed all will be eased up for Cheltenham 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Tomorrow will be the last day opening for at least a month sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Scoundrel wrote: »
    Tomorrow will be the last day opening for at least a month sadly

Big disappointment.

Anybody think they'll reopen 5th March 21 or will I have to jump the cliff and go online placepotting????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭SteM

pottokblue wrote: »
    Anybody think they'll reopen 5th March 21 or will I have to jump the cliff and go online placepotting????

A good mate is a shop manger in Ladbrookes and they don't have a clue at the moment. His gut instinct is they won't be opening on the 5th though.

SteM wrote: »
    A good mate is a shop manger in Ladbrookes and they don't have a clue at the moment. His gut instinct is they won't be opening on the 5th though.

I'd be surprised if they open that early here.
    I'd say they are looking to be open for Cheltenham but would imagine that will be too early.
    Betfred in UK have told their staff that they think they will open 5th or 6th March.

okidoki987 wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if they open that early here.
    I'd say they are looking to be open for Cheltenham but would imagine that will be too early.
    Betfred in UK have told their staff that they think they will open 5th or 6th March.

He's praying that they'll be open for Cheltenham alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭Augme

I'll be stunned if bookies are open on March 5th or for Cheltenham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Cerveza

Yer thirsty lads.

• Advertisement

Realthirsty more and more since Jan 21st and am having a dry dublin racing festival!

Cerveza wrote: »
    Yer thirsty lads.

I'm missing the shop specials and free bets compared to the meagre offerings online.

Hearing from people in the industry that they won't be open before April and it could even be into May :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Hearing from people in the industry that they won't be open before April and it could even be into May :(.

:eek::mad::(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

surprised PaddyPower haven't opened a betting kiosk outside their shops! Know some older fellows who like a bet but don't use online..

chancer007 wrote: »
    surprised PaddyPower haven't opened a betting kiosk outside their shops! Know some older fellows who like a bet but don't use online..

Doubt they'd be allowed.

SteM wrote: »
    Doubt they'd be allowed.

you are probably correct, didn't Bar One in Dundalk have a kiosk open or something last year & they had to close?
    People like my father who dont have an online account will miss doing a few bets..

In every bookie shop in Ireland there must have been a dozen or so regulars, who are "old-timers" whom are sick and tired of not being able to have a bet. They probably never had an account, and most likely never will. Many of them probably don't drink either, so it's probably their only vice/social outing.. A fqd up state of affairs, and shambolic in the way this government :rolleyes: has made a sh1tshow of this whole thing... And now that the major NH festivals are looming, they may feel they've nothing to look forward to, and have lost all hope of ever having a bet again.

#opendabookiesnow

I was speaking to a manager of a PP shop yesterday...she said rumours in PP HQ is that the bookies will re-open week after Aintree.
    My own father loves a bet for Cheltenham...not the same if you do an online bet for him..I think he also likes to check his dockets!...I thought the bookies would have been more innovative...

I was speaking to a manager of a PP shop yesterday...she said rumours in PP HQ is that the bookies will re-open week after Aintree.
    My own father loves a bet for Cheltenham...not the same if you do an online bet for him..I think he also likes to check his dockets!...I thought the bookies would have been more innovative...

Means missing Cheltenham Festival and Grand National, the 2 biggest racing events of the year for a bookie.
    I'd say they are still pushing to open early in March if they can.

If UK bookies open (including NI) around early March and ROI bookies don't,
    I know a professional punter who is talking about moving up North until they reopen down here.

• Advertisement

the bookies have to be pushing hard to reopen..PP staff on full pay, Boylesports staff on PUP + Boylesports topup to full salary.
    you can walk into a shop & spend €100's on lotto tickets & euromillions..but you cant walk into a bookies & gamble the same amount of money..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

In every bookie shop in Ireland there must have been a dozen or so regulars, who are "old-timers" whom are sick and tired of not being able to have a bet. They probably never had an account, and most likely never will. Many of them probably don't drink either, so it's probably their only vice/social outing.. A fqd up state of affairs, and shambolic in the way this government :rolleyes: has made a sh1tshow of this whole thing... And now that the major NH festivals are looming, they may feel they've nothing to look forward to, and have lost all hope of ever having a bet again.

#opendabookiesnow

So you reckon the government should open the bookie shops in order to prevent covid spreading!

Out of curiousity what's the problem with doing his bets for him on line and printing his bet slip for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

you can walk into a shop & spend €100's on lotto tickets & euromillions..but you cant walk into a bookies & gamble the same amount of money..

People tend to not stand around in a Spar for 4 hours watching TVs and waiting for the lotto draw though.

There’s no way they will open them for Cheltenham, it would be a covid nightmare. We’ve all been in a crowded bookies 10 mins before the supreme goes off and you can hardly move in there with the crowds, everyone touching RPs and pens and docket holders.

I do think they should allow some form of kiosk at the doors though. Set up an orderly queueing system, you line up, get to the front and put your bets on. Manage it some way by only allowing bets on Cheltenham, and having the forms like the football where you tick the boxes so some codger doesn’t spend an hour at the top doing his teatime 49s 3 mins before the gold cup goes off.

They could easily be set up with a few forms to do yankees, multiples and the like

So you reckon the government should open the bookie shops in order to prevent covid spreading!

I never said or inferred anything like that. How on earth you got the government should open the bookie shops in order to prevent covid spreading from my post is beyond me. The only saving grace from your post was that you spelled Government using g in the lower case :pac:

My point re the Government was: if they had handled the situation better (couldn't have done much worse) , then things could well be almost back to normal..

I'm missing the shop specials and free bets compared to the meagre offerings online.

? Online specials are always better than shop 'specials'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

People tend to not stand around in a Spar for 4 hours watching TVs and waiting for the lotto draw though.

There’s no way they will open them for Cheltenham, it would be a covid nightmare. We’ve all been in a crowded bookies 10 mins before the supreme goes off and you can hardly move in there with the crowds, everyone touching RPs and pens and docket holders.

I do think they should allow some form of kiosk at the doors though. Set up an orderly queueing system, you line up, get to the front and put your bets on. Manage it some way by only allowing bets on Cheltenham, and having the forms like the football where you tick the boxes so some codger doesn’t spend an hour at the top doing his teatime 49s 3 mins before the gold cup goes off.

They could easily be set up with a few forms to do yankees, multiples and the like

Something like an ATM Terminal were you just walk up, put your money in and then put your bet on. You could collect there as well,

Out of curiousity what's the problem with doing his bets for him on line and printing his bet slip for him.

father is nearly 80, dont live close to him either...would mean printing them off, driving over an hour..wouldnt dream of taking money off him..he prefers to study the form, write his own bets..like a ritual at this stage..he'll have to wait a few more months..

I never said or inferred anything like that. How on earth you got the government should open the bookie shops in order to prevent covid spreading from my post is beyond me. The only saving grace from your post was that you spelled Government using g in the lower case :pac:

My point re the Government was: if they had handled the situation better (couldn't have done much worse) , then things could well be almost back to normal..

Oh right, so what you are saying is that the government should have closed the bookies earlier and should now keep them closed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Don’t forget the codger who hogs the racing post for an hour

Advertisement