Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel's Black Widow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Special look means trailer now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm increasingly liking the nuts & bolts look of this, although that "sky dive" sequence totally betrays the universe it belongs to.

Also, second only to the superhero pose (the one Deadpool mocked), has to be the "wrapping your thighs around an enemy's head and spinning" attach every female fighter now seems to do in the MCU :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm increasingly liking the nuts & bolts look of this, although that "sky dive" sequence totally betrays the universe it belongs to.

Also, second only to the superhero pose (the one Deadpool mocked), has to be the "wrapping your thighs around an enemy's head and spinning" attach every female fighter now seems to do in the MCU :D

I dunno why a rana/ frankensteiner is now a "THIS A SOMETHING FEMALES DO" thing.

On re-watch.. I'm thinking about that SWAT team... and then later how it's revealed there's a bunch of Black Widows

and I'm reminded of the line from the X2 trailer:
    I feel a great swell of pity for the poor fool who comes to that school... looking for trouble

Superbowl Spot:

Oh this feels like there's gonna be a BEATDOWN!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Gavin1986

Whoo-hoo... I can hardly wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hopefully that sky-dive is just a single moment 'cos it just keeps ruining the feel of the thing for me.

Feels like ever sooo subtle hints that this may contain Winter Soldier style physicality thoughout. May not but it's definitely got some hints to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Thought the trailer made it look pretty bad. Didn't even bother to watch it to the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

My MCU hype levels are at their lowest. There's nothing exciting on the horizon. This film feels very much like its been shoehorned into the release schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

Yeah very low hype but better then "Bloodshot" it's out tomorrow. I don't think I even seen a trailer for it.

El Duda wrote: »
    My MCU hype levels are at their lowest. There's nothing exciting on the horizon. This film feels very much like its been shoehorned into the release schedule.

I think Black Widow looks fine, but everything announced or released in the wake of EndGame has just felt underwhelming. This is just one site, and I'm just one fan(?) of the MCU, but I do wonder if EndGame might have pushed the emotional heights too far. Where does the MCU go from there; and how on earth can it possibly ever top that culmination? Part of me has kept thinking "that's it, that's the MCU over", 'cos they literally pitched the film as an Ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm not sick of the MCU, but Black Widow is the first of the lot I won't be seeing in the cinema. Frankly it just doesn't look that interesting, the fact that it's a prequel drives the nail in further.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It's funny, I really disliked most of the MCU films, especially the first 2 Avengers. But this looks good to me. I also enjoyed the law Spiderman.

I enjoyed last 2 Avengers films.

One thing that bugged me about the MCU was having individual films about Iron man etc. post the first Avengers film. They could have simply called the other Avengers. Prequels actually make sense.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭jface187

I see it like the comics. I'm reading spider-man comic, I want to read about spider-man, if I want an avengers comic I'll read an Avengers comic.

I think the reason I didn't like the last two spider-man films was it too much Iron-man stuff, peter felt like Iron Man jnr. I like the films connected but I want each hero to flourish in their own film.

As expected, Disney have postponed Black Widow indefinitely
    https://twitter.com/THR/status/1239962156248043525?s=19

Will now release on November 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know why, but until it was delayed I thought this was meant to be a Disney Plus film.

• Advertisement

Ha, I like how the wording tries to persuade they were all so blown away by Pugh's performance they just decided to retire Natasha. Not that, ya know, the more famous star was probably done with Black Widow - and Pugh is cheaper than pulling a Downey Jr. with Johansson and paying her squillions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The Black Widow teaser trailer is due to be released next week as a bonus feature on the Endgame release on Digital and Blu Ray.

The trailer was shown in a behind closed doors screening at Comic Con.

Filming started a few weeks ago.

Zero interest.
    Boring character and acted woodenly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Ha, I like how the wording tries to persuade they were all so blown away by Pugh's performance they just decided to retire Natasha. Not that, ya know, the more famous star was probably done with Black Widow - and Pugh is cheaper than pulling a Downey Jr. with Johansson and paying her squillions.

Also Natasha is dead. To undo that would just be seen as lazy.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Also Natasha is dead. To undo that would just be seen as lazy.

Oh yeah. Dunno why but I completely forgot that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Oh yeah. Dunno why but I completely forgot that happened.

She's very forgettable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Florence Pugh is one of the most formidable and capable young performers working at the moment, with several absolutely killer performances under her belt in just a few short years. I hope she doesn’t get stuck in the Marvel content mill. I mean, Scarlett Johansson is also an actor of top-tier capability when she has the right material (Under the Skin, Her, Lost in Translation, Marriage Story...) but she’s wasted in most of the Marvel fare she’s been in. Hopefully this standalone one gives both of them something substantial (well, by MCU standards) to work with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Rodin wrote: »
    Zero interest.
    Boring character and acted woodenly.

I agree. Which is crazy, given that Scarlet Johansen is the most accomplished actor in any of the Marvel films. She's a much better actor than anyone else I can think of in the MCU. Benedict Cumberbatch (sp?) may edge her out, but no one else comes close.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

Brian? wrote: »
    I agree. Which is crazy, given that Scarlet Johansen is the most accomplished actor in any of the Marvel films. She's a much better actor than anyone else I can think of in the MCU. Benedict Cumberbatch (sp?) may edge her out, but no one else comes close.

Well there's a bold statement. I don't think Johansson is even the best actress in the MCU (Tilda Swinton, Brie Larson, Natalie Portman) never mind her male counterparts.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Rockbeast2

p to the e wrote: »
    Well there's a bold statement. I don't think Johansson is even the best actress in the MCU (Tilda Swinton, Brie Larson, Natalie Portman) never mind her male counterparts.

I just started working my way back on the male side and stopped very quickly:

Robert Redford
    Anthony Hopkins
    Michael Douglas
    Samuel L. Jackson
    Tommy Lee Jones
    Ben Kingsley
    Jeff Bridges
    William Hurt

I doubt husky-voiced Scarlet would make my combined Top 30 TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,073 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'd pretty comfortably say Scarlett Johansson has the most great roles under her belt of any of the 'main' Marvel heroes, putting aside supporting actors and the like. Ruffalo has a pretty respectable filmography so he'd be the main competitor, and Cumberbatch is a talented chap who just hasn't been in that many good films (The Imitation Game is a perfect example - strong performance in a weak film). Olsen and Larson have some great performances under their belt, albeit only a few each. But in terms of volume of really strong performances across a pretty wide variety of films? Johansson seems like a pretty clear winner on a quick count, and arguably the one worst-served by the MCU films so far despite that.

Advertisement