Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ghost of Tsushima

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Exclusive to Paystation 4. Plus Sony's history of damaging the gaming industry. I'd sooner flush my money down the toilet than give them a cent.

200.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

nix wrote: »
    200.gif

Sony censored anime tits somewhere and Robert will die on that pointless hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Well, all of Sony's games have full HDR, or Homosexual Diversification Rays, that turn you gay the more you play so best to stay away from them. I played a couple of hours of Uncharted once and I had an unhealthy desire to watch Brokeback Mountain after I finished playing so I don't go near them anymore.

J. Marston wrote: »

That topless eleven year old girl was actually a 600 year old demon goddess. Everyone knows that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sony is false DMCA striking and literally breaking the law across youtube and twitter right now, setting themselves up for lawsuits. The loyal fans here will fund their defense and do a little free PR to defend their honor. All because I dared say I lost interest in some samurai game because I don't like the publisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Sony is false DMCA striking and literally breaking the law across youtube and twitter right now, setting themselves up for lawsuits. The loyal fans here will fund their defense and do a little free PR to defend their honor. All because I dared say I lost interest in some samurai game because I don't like the publisher.

Depends though like is it fun stay at the DMCA?

Depends though like is it fun stay at the DMCA?

I think the DMCA is like the anti-Village People. I think it's full of people that look like the Quartering...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well ye can all not buy it. I will be getting it day 1 and have leave booked to play the absolute shyte out of it for the weekend. I've enjoyed SP's previous games, and this is right up my alley. Not everyone wants ball breaking combat like Dark Souls or Sekiro. I think the combat looks fine, as I'd imagine getting sliced with an authentic samurai blade will more or less kill you in 1 hit, and swordplay is a lot about countering for the better position. Can't see anything wrong with it, other than people own personal opinions on what kind of combat they like.

Dark Souls like combat is not the way forward, because it's simply just not fun and requires too much trial and error (unless you're already a Souls-esque god or some such, git-gud and all that bollix). This game looks fun to play. It looks like it will let me be a super killing samurai transitioning into a ninja. It looks beautiful, I didn't see any issues with movement, and I'm still stoked. I didn't watch the whole lot of that, just skipped to the combat seeing as it's getting lambasted on here, even though we have no idea of what it will actually play like.

I didn't like the look of Horizon Chase Turbo, as it looked too simple, and still put over 60 hours into it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls like combat is not the way forward, because it's simply just not fun and requires too much trial and error (unless you're already a Souls-esque god or some such, git-gud and all that bollix).

The reason the from software games are successful is because the combat is so good and fun.

This is pretty much hit one button to counter. Yawn. No positioning. No timed strikes. Sure the player never moved and even when surrounded all the enemies did was wait and attack one at a time so no strategy in avoiding getting overwhelmed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I didn't like the look of Horizon Chase Turbo, as it looked too simple, and still put over 60 hours into it.

This, everyone was saying the same about horizon before it came out and it was one of the games of the year so hopefully this is the same.

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »

People die on that hill?

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The reason the from software games are successful is because the combat is so good and fun.

This is pretty much hit one button to counter. Yawn. No positioning. No timed strikes. Sure the player never moved and even when surrounded all the enemies did was wait and attack one at a time so no strategy in avoiding getting overwhelmed.

And in the polar opposite, I find the combat in the From games horrible and definitely not fun. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but ain't nobody got time to die/rinse/repeat in order to progress. Much prefer the straight forward kill machine as long as you play by that games rules, such as the InFamous games, God of War, AC: Odyssey. I find no fun in doing the same thing to the same enemies in the same place over and over until I'm able to avoid getting 1 hit killed for 10 minutes while chinking away at an obnoxiously large health bar.

This is going to be perfect for me. I don't think it's fair to judge it all on 18 minutes, and yeah (thankfully) it won't be Dark Souls hard, as it's more about the experience imo, everything together for an overall experience rather than hard combat and die/rinse/repeat. In a game like Ghost of Tsushima, the souls fighting mechanics would take away from it.

But again, all personal preferences! Leave us with Ghost of Tsushima, ye can work away with Sekiro (the new Tenchu/fun vs Ninja Gaiden/hard games).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Looks decent, doesn't look like a grindathon like the latest two AC titles, I might get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

And in the polar opposite, I find the combat in the From games horrible and definitely not fun. Maybe it's because I'm getting older, but ain't nobody got time to die/rinse/repeat in order to progress. Much prefer the straight forward kill machine as long as you play by that games rules, such as the InFamous games, God of War, AC: Odyssey. I find no fun in doing the same thing to the same enemies in the same place over and over until I'm able to avoid getting 1 hit killed for 10 minutes while chinking away at an obnoxiously large health bar.

This is going to be perfect for me. I don't think it's fair to judge it all on 18 minutes, and yeah (thankfully) it won't be Dark Souls hard, as it's more about the experience imo, everything together for an overall experience rather than hard combat and die/rinse/repeat. In a game like Ghost of Tsushima, the souls fighting mechanics would take away from it.

But again, all personal preferences! Leave us with Ghost of Tsushima, ye can work away with Sekiro (the new Tenchu/fun vs Ninja Gaiden/hard games).

Couldn't agree more. I get a decent amount of time per week to play with work etc and I want a slick, enjoyable, fun accessible game with a moderate but not overbearing challenge to it. Dying 2000 times and finally succeeding doesn't really appeal to me, I'd be more likely to switch to something else. And it's not because I won't get there eventually, it's because I don't enjoy hours of frustration when I'm trying to chill out.

I loved the 18 minute clip and I'm really excited about it still. Have my day one preorder special edition still booked and I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of it. And that's what gaming is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Soulsborne-type combat wouldn't work in this game, because it's not a Soulsborne-type game. Simple as that

From the demo, it said you need to parry the enemies at the last second for a one-hit kill. There's also different stances you're supposed to take for different enemies, and different weapons you can employ to damage or distract enemies. It's obviously not the deepest combat system or most original ever created, but it could be fun, and it's likely designed to be more one piece of a whole, than Soulsborne games where combat is the defining game mechanic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Should, of course, be pointed out there are combat systems of varying degress of complexity in between the 'Soulsborne' and 'Arkham / AC' models :)

Equally fair to say it's hard to ascertain how the fights will actually play based on that video alone. Personally, it's the heap of open world guff that really turns me off this game - it's a genre I'm increasingly happy to ignore unless a game does something exceptional or unique with it (Death Stranding being a flawed but interesting example of something that feels legitimately different to the norm). But hey, pre-release footage can only tell us so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,199 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Equally fair to say it's hard to ascertain how the fights will actually play based on that video alone.

Agreed. It was obviously also being played by someone very skilled at the game, hitting all parries correctly and not being hit themselves, which is to be expected of a gameplay trailer but won't be representative of most people's experiences for the first few hours of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Dark Souls like combat is not the way forward, because it's simply just not fun and requires too much trial and error

From a guy who has played **** all souls like games and is afraid of a challenge in a "game" :rolleyes:

Y'know if you had spent the time that you do complaining about souls like games on just playing a souls game, the combat would have clicked long ago and you would be enjoying some of the best games EVER. But feel free to continue giving your critique on games you havent played :pac::rolleyes:

Anyway, i thought God of war done a good job at offering a fresh combat system, i think many here were just hoping for an admirable effort in that regard, as opposed to the AC clone its looking like.. But i hope im wrong, as i love me some samurai/ninja action :)

nix wrote: »
    From a guy who has played **** all souls like games and is afraid of a challenge in a "game" :rolleyes:

Y'know if you had spent the time that you do complaining about souls like games on just playing a souls game, the combat would have clicked long ago and you would be enjoying some of the best games EVER. But feel free to continue giving your critique on games you havent played :pac::rolleyes:

Anyway, i thought God of war done a good job at offering a fresh combat system, i think many here were just hoping for an admirable effort in that regard, as opposed to the AC clone its looking like.. But i hope im wrong, as i love me some samurai/ninja action :)

Who said I didn't play them? I've tried DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne. Why would I continue to try games i know I don't like? And I would have kept going, save for every enemy respawning in the same place every time you die and having to go through it again only to be one hut by the boss and go again. Thats not fun. The combat isn't fun. Some people might like it, but some men also like getting kicked in the balls, doesn't mean they're right. Do you like being kicked in the balls nix?

Each to their own. Anyway, Kazuya Nakai is voicing Jin in the Japanese dub, and it will be awesome! (Zoro from One Piece).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Who said I didn't play them? I've tried DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne. Why would I continue to try games i know I don't like? And I would have kept going, save for every enemy respawning in the same place every time you die and having to go through it again only to be one hut by the boss and go again. Thats not fun. The combat isn't fun. Some people might like it, but some men also like getting kicked in the balls, doesn't mean they're right. Do you like being kicked in the balls nix?

Each to their own. Anyway, Kazuya Nakai is voicing Jin in the Japanese dub, and it will be awesome! (Zoro from One Piece).

The most important question I have is; who enjoys being kicked in the balls?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The most important question I have is; who enjoys being kicked in the balls?

So you're new to the internet? Let me tell you you've a lot to learn. I've seen things...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

So you're new to the internet? Let me tell you you've a lot to learn. I've seen things...

i have seen things also, but the topic in question is not something I'd look for. moving on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Have moved the last two dozen or so posts off to a separate thread, feel free to continue the discussion there: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058078626

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Didn't think 2 and half years after I posted this that we would still be waiting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,956 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

RasTa wrote: »
    Didn't think 2 and half years after I posted this that we would still be waiting.

Just the way of the games industry I'm afraid, announce a game 3 years out instead of 6 months from completion.

While Nintendo defy convention and announce a major Super Mario release (Paper Mario Origami thingy) a month before release. They really operate in their own little bubble.

While Nintendo defy convention and announce a major Super Mario release (Paper Mario Origami thingy) a month before release. They really operate in their own little bubble.

Showing a game that is years from completion to generate hype for it is an absolute scourge but the bigger problem is the amount of gobshítes out there that buy into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Showing a game that is years from completion to generate hype for it is an absolute scourge but the bigger problem is the amount of gobshítes out there that buy into it.

Happened with Metroid Prime 4 too where Nintendo hyped something before even knowing what the hell it even was. Breath of the Wild was shown 3 years before it was released. Everyone does it the last decade.
    Don't need to do it with stuff like Paper Mario as people will get excited with anything if Mario in the title regardless of its quality. Hence why people are excited by just its art style as they clearly never played the last few games in that series.
    Games get delayed is common now, especially with companies remote working its going to happen a lot more often in the next few years at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Minime2.5

Anyone hazard a guess for when Elden Ring will be released ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement