Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why I remain staunch FF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 932 ✭✭✭paddyland

scr123 wrote: »
    I have one main reason why I cannot vote for any part of the Opposition, THEY TERRIFY ME !
    I could write pages of why I will not vote other than FF but talking to a wall of intolerance is a waste of time.

What I will say is this, once the next GE is over watch the unemployment figures climb to somewhere between 700000 to 800000. Watch the destruction of confidence in the business community.

The Polls suggest the electorate wants to punish FF
    This is the same arrogant electorate, mainly the Opposition, who punished FF by voting No in first Lisbon Treaty referendum

The same arrogant electorate who 18 months or so later realised their blunder and voted 2 to 1 in favour of the Treaty

Yes I say FF need a break from Government but holy god the next 4 years is not the time to get rid of them and put in place a concoction with a sickening record of failure

You're talking through your backside. There's nothing any opposition party could do to worsen this country that FF haven't already done. FF have had 14 consecutive years of destroying the whole fundamental basis of this country. They and their supporters haved raped everything good this country had. WHERE is our export economy? WHERE is our indigenous industry? WHERE is our focussed forward planning and development? They have never, ever governed for the people as a whole, only for one selfish sector of society. They were ALWAYS that way. A large percentage of people continue to vote for them, but they are voting in the hopes that FF will facilitate them to get ahead personally, at the expense of everyone else.

FF are a party for a very self serving, cronyist sector of society. Why share the good of the country equally, when you can keep a very large slice of it within the 'boy's club?' That's what you staunchly stand for. A selfish, favouritist, two tier, get rich quick society with no plan or sense of the long term future. You are probably right not to trust the opposition either. But your beloved FF party are rotten to the core, and proven so, over 14 years of consecutive government, not to mention previous generations. The imperative now is to get rid of them as soon as possible. They are not even fit to sit on the opposition benches, as they represent a wholly toxic and reckless viewpoint. We will never progress as a nation as long as there is a FF mindset in this country. We don't seem to have anyone eloquent enough to put the case in the public arena.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭scr123

paddyland wrote: »
    You're talking through your backside. There's nothing any opposition party could do to worsen this country that FF haven't already done. FF have had 14 consecutive years of destroying the whole fundamental basis of this country. They and their supporters haved raped everything good this country had. WHERE is our export economy? WHERE is our indigenous industry? WHERE is our focussed forward planning and development? They have never, ever governed for the people as a whole, only for one selfish sector of society. They were ALWAYS that way. A large percentage of people continue to vote for them, but they are voting in the hopes that FF will facilitate them to get ahead personally, at the expense of everyone else.

FF are a party for a very self serving, cronyist sector of society. Why share the good of the country equally, when you can keep a very large slice of it within the 'boy's club?' That's what you staunchly stand for. A selfish, favouritist, two tier, get rich quick society with no plan or sense of the long term future. You are probably right not to trust the opposition either. But your beloved FF party are rotten to the core, and proven so, over 14 years of consecutive government, not to mention previous generations. The imperative now is to get rid of them as soon as possible. They are not even fit to sit on the opposition benches, as they represent a wholly toxic and reckless viewpoint. We will never progress as a nation as long as there is a FF mindset in this country. We don't seem to have anyone eloquent enough to put the case in the public arena.

Am afraid this can only be described as another rant against FF, one of millions on the internet. Easy for any fool to do but it takes brains and courage to look into the mirror and say " Hey, what I have to offer is better so let me spell it out "
    In November 1982 when we had a similar situation with FF blamed for every problem the country faced the people shafted FF. In December 1982 and January 1983 21000 were added to the dole. From there the unemployment went crazy and I am open to correction when I say the rate hit 22%. On top of this the National Debt was doubled during the life of the disastrous Coalition of FG/ Lab. Dont believe a word I say, just check it out !
    Look at what is on offer today as an alternative to FF who are tackling not only the usual cyclical problem of economic recession but an unprecedented crash of the banks, we have a potential Coalition identical to that which took over in 1982 and multiplied the problems !! The thoughts of FG and Lab in government again gives me diarrhoea.

Get this in to your heads those who hate FF, stop badmouthing FF as it has all been heard before. What I and the people of the country want is a viable alternative to FF, so far there isnt a shred of evidence you lot are even remotely capable of running the country. FG and Lab are so far apart they might as well be on two different planets, heck maybe they are ! Remember an election could happen any day and if you want to get in on the act you better come to rehearsals !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Look at what is on offer today as an alternative to FF who are tackling not only the usual cyclical problem of economic recession but an unprecedented crash of the banks, we have a potential Coalition identical to that which took over in 1982 and multiplied the problems !!

So it's a "cyclical problem" now, eh ? Nothing whatsover to do with the fact that FF would have been hired to actually manage the economy, and made a complete bollox of it.
    I could write pages of why I will not vote other than FF but talking to a wall of intolerance is a waste of time.

Nice avoidance of the requirement to back up your opinion.....I'm sure that everyone here would be delighted to read any possible spin that you might put on it.....and remember that the intolerance is there BECAUSE of the list of people and policies that you completely ignored.

What's even more ironic is that posters don't even have to write "pages and pages" when it comes to FF.....the corruption is so endemic that all one has to do is mention the names and everyone knows EXACTLY what corruption they are talking about.
    Get this in to your heads those who hate FF, stop badmouthing FF as it has all been heard before.

I wonder why that is ? Probably because it's the truth. Probably because FF don't change. Probably because even when it's listed out in front of them, some people remain "staunch" supporters.
    What I and the people of the country want is a viable alternative to FF, so far there isnt a shred of evidence you lot are even remotely capable of running the country.

No you don't! You've started a thread that you are "staunch FF", which means you haven't a notion of even considering anyone else.

And two other things.....firstly, who are "you lot" ?

And secondly I'm looking for a viable government, but I don't need one to be viable in order for it to be an alternative to FF, who have certainly proven that they are not even "remotely capable of running the country".
    FG and Lab are so far apart they might as well be on two different planets, heck maybe they are !

And maybe, just maybe, as a result we could get a proper balanced economy, based on a pro-business but pro-worker equilibrium ? Just a thought.....and we'll never know unless we try.
    Remember an election could happen any day and if you want to get in on the act you better come to rehearsals !!

And remember if FF want to be taken seriously then they should stop voting confidence in corrupt scumbags and stop having such a ****e track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

What exactly was arrogant about an electorate voting 'NO' first time around? Not that I believe most yes/no voters were informed enough about the Treaty!

Were the government not the arrogant ones by not accepting the democratic mandate (with word from the EU) and holding a second vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

arrogant electorate

WTF ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Am afraid this can only be described as another rant against FF, one of millions on the internet. Easy for any fool to do but it takes brains and courage to look into the mirror and say " Hey, what I have to offer is better so let me spell it out "
    In November 1982 when we had a similar situation with FF blamed for every problem the country faced the people shafted FF. In December 1982 and January 1983 21000 were added to the dole. From there the unemployment went crazy and I am open to correction when I say the rate hit 22%. On top of this the National Debt was doubled during the life of the disastrous Coalition of FG/ Lab. Dont believe a word I say, just check it out !
    Look at what is on offer today as an alternative to FF who are tackling not only the usual cyclical problem of economic recession but an unprecedented crash of the banks, we have a potential Coalition identical to that which took over in 1982 and multiplied the problems !! The thoughts of FG and Lab in government again gives me diarrhoea.

Get this in to your heads those who hate FF, stop badmouthing FF as it has all been heard before. What I and the people of the country want is a viable alternative to FF, so far there isnt a shred of evidence you lot are even remotely capable of running the country. FG and Lab are so far apart they might as well be on two different planets, heck maybe they are ! Remember an election could happen any day and if you want to get in on the act you better come to rehearsals !!

To sum up your attitude from previous posts and this one. If bad things happen when FG are in, its their fault. When bad things happen when FF are in, its cyclical/unavoidable.

And we are supposed to believe your one of the smart section of the electorate based on that?

Your essentially a FF cheerleader, why on earth would I take anything you have to say seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

, so far there isnt a shred of evidence you lot are even remotely capable of running the country.

You're too far gone to argue with, but I would say that there's a hell of a lot more evidence of FF not being able to run the country, than there is of the opposition not being able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,472 ✭✭✭✭Sand

@scr123
    In November 1982 when we had a similar situation with FF blamed for every problem the country faced the people shafted FF

LOL ****ing tastic.

Credibility
    >
    <
    You.

Sand wrote: »
    @scr123

LOL ****ing tastic.

Credibility
    >
    <
    You.

Ah now, don't mock the afflicted, Sand........to be fair to scr123, they didn't actually mention whether the "blame" was justified or claim that the electorate was wrong in shafting FF.

So maybe there's a hint of reality in there somewhere....it's just well-hidden......or should that be "staunchly" hidden.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

The property bubble burst as expected

As expected?

Oh really?

I reference this piece by Morgan Kelly, probably one of the nay sayers our glorious ex Taoiseach told to commit suicide
    the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage.

was the FF manifesto in 2007 not based on a growing economy (albeit at a slower rate than 1997-2007?
    what we didnt know was the extent of the problems at the banks.

Morgan Kelly, David McWilliams and many more respected economists would disagree. They predicted almost precisely what was going to happen in relation to our banks. Of course FF were acting on the 'best possible advice available' :rolleyes:
    Two years of economic, political and social upheaval but it looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yes we've definitely turned a corner (see attachment). Just as it's impossible to 'talk our selves into a recession' it's also impossible to spin & bluff your way out of one
    FF have been at fault in too many areas.

How many areas would they have to be at fault for you to stopped 'staunchly' supporting them?
    Economically, politically and socially the Left and Right are so far apart the thoughts of them in government together is terrifying.

Did the last Rainbow coalition terrify you? Do you still have nightmares over the mess they made? :rolleyes:
    I remain staunch FF

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

Yes we've definitely turned a corner (see attachment). Just as it's impossible to 'talk our selves into a recession' it's also impossible to spin & bluff your way out of one

Not only have we turned a corner, we've reached a turning point! :eek:

Does that mean we're going back? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Hammered hippie

Its two years now since the economy began to collapse around our ankles. The property bubble burst as expected and the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage. At that moment what we didnt know was the extent of the problems at the banks.Two years of economic, political and social upheaval but it looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are people who want to smash that light but their political agenda is easily read and they will not succeed..
    I want a change of government because its wrong to have a one party State, FF have gone stale and because FF have been at fault in too many areas. However, when I look to my left I see Labour and a concoction of extremists whose economic policies revolve around TAX AND SPEND. Look to my right and I see Fine Gael who have economic policies of NO TAX AND NO SPEND. Economically, politically and socially the Left and Right are so far apart the thoughts of them in government together is terrifying..
    I have read and listened to all the attacks of FF and they are being repeated ad nauseum. Life is about words like balance, equilibrium, negotiation, compromise, hope, optimism, solutions, confidence and more. I see nothing coming from the Left or Right that will resolve the problems facing this country and under the circumstances I remain staunch FF

You talk about words like balance, equilibrium, compromise etc. etc. That is not the impression I got when it came to the relationship between banks, politicians and developers the last few years of the boom.
    That was about greed, ignorance, boasting, uncompromised money spending, unbalanced loans etc. etc.
    So explain to me again why you remain a staunch FF supporter?
    Is it maybe because FF stands for Financial Friendsclub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

From The Irish Examiner April 17 2007:

FF promises to ‘virtually eliminate’ debt

Some gems:
    IRELAND will be a debt-free nation and will have a radically overhauled tax system if Fianna Fáil are re-elected to Government

Hmmmm :rolleyes:
    it repeated its Árd Fheis promises of cutting the standard rate of income tax by 2% to 18% and reducing the higher rate by 1% at a cost of €840 million per annum.

Happy days. I suppose this was planned to be paid for by making us even more reliant on 'windfall taxes' from the likes of stamp duty & VAT etc
    He added that maintaining budget surpluses, a declining Government debt and a net debt burden of less than 3% of GDP by 2012 were FF’s key priorities.

Ah shur, I suppose NAMA is off balance sheet isn't it :rolleyes:
    If Ireland ever faces into a global economic downturn, we will act prudently as before. We will deliver this country through any downturn with health fundamentals intact — that is, to maintain the lowest employment, lowest taxes and highest growth in Europe,” said Mr Ahern.

Ironic mis-quote/slip of the pen
    He deemed the National Development Plan (NDP) the most important priority for investment.

I suppose at that stage he didn't know that they'd need to throw the entire fiscal might of the country at bailing out the elite golden circle
    Reiterating the party’s stance on stamp duty, Mr Cowen said the party would not do anything to disrupt the property market.

I almost fell off my chair laughing at this one :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

Fr0g wrote: »
    The Rainbow coalition of 94 to 97 was one of the most successful governments we have ever had. They managed to grow the economy (creating 1000 jobs a week) while keeping inflation below 2%. They brought in the first budget surplus in 28 years. This was an economy based on sound fundamentals i.e. manufaturing and exports. As soon as FF got into power they completely lost the run of themselves slashing taxes and increasing spending to the extent that inflation spiralled out of control reaching almost 7% within 3 years of FF taking power. I have no problem voting FG or Labour based on their previous record.

And someone called me a revisionist (on a different thread)!

That coalition did a really bang up job on crime and NI didn't they?

The economy, while they didn't mess it up (which is maybe a bigger an achievement than some people give them credit for, when you look at what has happened recently), was simply following a train of events initiated in the late 80s and helped along the way by Reynolds.I think I'm correct in saying that the term "Celtic Tiger" was first coined under Reynolds administration.Unemployment was still something like 10 per cent when they left office(anyone have a link so I can confirm this, actually?)

Not our worst administration by a long shot, but "one of our most successful" is stretching the truth to absolute breaking point.

At least they didn't promise "zero tolerance" (while the funds were there to implement it) and then refuse point-blank to even attempt it!

Of course, proper "zero tolerance", if implemented, would have meant that a few of their mates (and possibly a few of themselves) would have been first in line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Its two years now since the economy began to collapse around our ankles. The property bubble burst as expected and the economy went in to recession as expected it would at some stage. At that moment what we didnt know was the extent of the problems at the banks.Two years of economic, political and social upheaval but it looks as if there is light at the end of the tunnel. There are people who want to smash that light but their political agenda is easily read and they will not succeed..
    I want a change of government because its wrong to have a one party State, FF have gone stale and because FF have been at fault in too many areas. However, when I look to my left I see Labour and a concoction of extremists whose economic policies revolve around TAX AND SPEND. Look to my right and I see Fine Gael who have economic policies of NO TAX AND NO SPEND. Economically, politically and socially the Left and Right are so far apart the thoughts of them in government together is terrifying..
    I have read and listened to all the attacks of FF and they are being repeated ad nauseum. Life is about words like balance, equilibrium, negotiation, compromise, hope, optimism, solutions, confidence and more. I see nothing coming from the Left or Right that will resolve the problems facing this country and under the circumstances I remain staunch FF

So you want to stay with FF because the other parties have plans and policies which scare you and FF don't have plans or policies, and thus can't scare you.

Brilliant :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Originally Posted by scr123
    I have one main reason why I cannot vote for any part of the Opposition, THEY TERRIFY ME !

What I will say is this, once the next GE is over watch the unemployment figures climb to somewhere between 700000 to 800000. Watch the destruction of confidence in the business community.

The Polls suggest the electorate wants to punish FF
    This is the same arrogant electorate, mainly the Opposition, who punished FF by voting No in first Lisbon Treaty referendum

The same arrogant electorate who 18 months or so later realised their blunder and voted 2 to 1 in favour of the Treaty

Yes I say FF need a break from Government but holy god the next 4 years is not the time to get rid of them and put in place a concoction with a sickening record of failure

That alone I was going to post in retort too but (1) others have done that well and (2) its so damn stupid and funny, I'm too busy laughting to be able to type any more.
    LOL
    Back in a while LOL...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Negotiation/Compromise. : Where Bertie Ahern signed away the public purse, and put private commercial operators under intense financial strain by virture of his flawed model of social partnership, and his unsustainable wage agreements.

I also note that you make the same mistake that all Government proponants do. While i agree that Labour and Fine Gael have many differences, it must also be noted that FF and Labour have the same difficulties when it comes to deciding what constitutes fair financial austerity. Many members of FF forget that it WILL be the Labour Party which props them up should they return to Government in 2012. The Green's will be decimated, and the possibility of an overall majority is laughable in the extreme. I would also be greatly concerned that FF's "compromise" would lead to them rolling over in front of the Labour Party to keep them in Government. Between 1994-1997 the Rainbow Coalition was solid and was rarely under threat. Thus, I dont really buy into this idea that we should use the 1980s coalitions as benchmarks.

What you have written no intrinsic merit from a FF perspective. It is a re-packaged rant about the opposition, with no positive reinforcement of FF policies. This type of rant has turned me off voting again for FF, which I have done for my life. FF have been put in a difficult position by the international and domestic crisis, however, the most I have heard from people like you is the old chestnut .... "if you think its bad now, just wait till you get those guys". This is not based on anything empirical, it is subjective opinion, which is sometimes scewed by personal bias. You will need to do a lot better then that to convince me to remain "staunch FF"

For two years now in the real world I have asked those critical of FF three questions:
    1 How exactly did FF ruin the country
    2 What would they have done
    3 What will they do to restore the economy

On question 1 they will go on for hours badmouthing FF
    Ask them to turn to 2 and 3 they totally and utterly refuse to engage and instead continue badmouthing FF.

Why should I even remotely contemplate the Opposition as an alternative to FF ?

I have no choice but to continue voting FF and this is a deplorable situation

(a) Unsustainable wage agreements.
    (b) Ramping up public expenditure by 10%+ per annum while keeping taxes low to hedge their bets with the lobbiests who seek to have low taxes or high spending.
    (c)Claiming that we were living off current funds, which were in fact the unsustainable yields of the property bubble, which was stoked by Bertie Ahern and our current Taoiseach.
    (d)Abolising our competitive edge by setting prohibitive minimum wages, rolling out broadband at a snail's pace, the prohibitive price of Land Rents, and failing to adequatly deal with PRSI payments.
    (e)Using budget 2001/2002 as a pre-election sweetner, and then bowing to media pressure between 2004-2007 when the media began getting on their backs about being "miserly". Again, Bertie's "negotiation and balance" were not displayed as he bowed to pressure and handed out all sorts of goodies which no sensible economy should be doing
    (f)Ignoring the factors of productivity to live off the fruits of the property bubble, which put us in great debt for years to come.
    (G)Light touch banking regulation which was either a deliberate practive persued by the government to stoke the bubble, or it was downright stupidity on their part. Either way, it is not good.

"What would they have done".

Completely irrelevant. They were not in government at the time. It is a red herring argument, which is used to propogate the myth that we would be as badly in the s**t today if they were in Government. The reality is we dont know how badly we would be in it, because they were not in government.

That is just some of what was done. You can talk about being terrified by the opposition, however, when there is no evidence to suggest that they would do any worse

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

And someone called me a revisionist (on a different thread)!

drops in crime figures lag behind prosperity it is a result of the policies that go back 10/20 years previously. The failure to tackle the drug problem of the 70s/80s had long term effects on other crimes.

I believe that the IRA preferred to do business with FF rather than FG.

The economy, while they didn't mess it up (which is maybe a bigger an achievement than some people give them credit for, when you look at what has happened recently), was simply following a train of events initiated in the late 80s and helped along the way by Reynolds.I think I'm correct in saying that the term "Celtic Tiger" was first coined under Reynolds administration.Unemployment was still something like 10 per cent when they left office(anyone have a link so I can confirm this, actually?)

The best you can hope from a government is that they improve on the last one which they did. While unemployment was still very high the important thing is that it was dropping.
    Not our worst administration by a long shot, but "one of our most successful" is stretching the truth to absolute breaking point.

I was working during the rainbow coalition and I can tell you it was the first time that I started to feel wealthy. The tax cuts actually put more money in your pocket because the government managed to keep inflation down.

Contrast that with the next government who, like I say, lost the run of themselves flooding an overheated economy with money driving inflation up.
    The price of everything went up, which in turn drove up wage inflation losing our competitiveness in the process.

I stand by my assertion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

'staunchly'

is another word for :

' i am a moron, and this is my wife '

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    At least they didn't promise "zero tolerance" (while the funds were there to implement it) and then refuse point-blank to even attempt it!

Of course, proper "zero tolerance", if implemented, would have meant that a few of their mates (and possibly a few of themselves) would have been first in line.

Well in fairness I think that there was an increase in Garda numbers from 1997 to 2002 so I think they at least tried to implement the zero tolerance policy.
    drops in crime figures lag behind prosperity it is a result of the policies that go back 10/20 years previously. The failure to tackle the drug problem of the 70s/80s had long term effects on other crimes.

I don't know whether you're a FGer or whether you just simply liked the rainbow coalition, but blaming "the past" or "inherited problems", is actually quite a typical FG response.However bad things were in the 80s, things like the murders of Veronica Guerin and Jerry McCabe were not happening.Such killings threatened the security of the state.While the criminals themselves obviously deserve the lion's share of the blame, the coalition didn't really do anything to try to get to grips with the crime problem.I think after on of the murders, Joan Burton made comments to the effect that they had to get tough on the "causes of crime".What a fvcking joke.
    I believe that the IRA preferred to do business with FF rather than FG.

This was Bruton's own fault, because he made no effort to win the trust of the Republicans.I think it was Gerry Adams who said around that time (I'm paraphrasing here) that it was a FF led government who initiated the peace process, and a FG led one who squandered it.Draw your own conclusions.

The best you can hope from a government is that they improve on the last one which they did. While unemployment was still very high the important thing is that it was dropping.

I was working during the rainbow coalition and I can tell you it was the first time that I started to feel wealthy. The tax cuts actually put more money in your pocket because the government managed to keep inflation down.

Contrast that with the next government who, like I say, lost the run of themselves flooding an overheated economy with money driving inflation up.
    The price of everything went up, which in turn drove up wage inflation losing our competitiveness in the process.

Well, I agree with you to an extent, because that FG government certainly didn't do a bad job on the economy.But I just think you're giving them too much credit.The main thing they did was not mess up the progress made previously, and it also has to be said that Ruairi Quinn was a very, very good Finance minister.I don't think they were a bad administration by any means, just not one of our most successful.

I stand by my assertion.

Hey, you're certainly entitled to your opinion, I just disagree.

Well in fairness I think that there was an increase in Garda numbers from 1997 to 2002 so I think they at least tried to implement the zero tolerance policy.

Please tell me you're being ironic ? They can't even implement "zero tolerance" within their own party, let alone a whole country!

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Please tell me you're being ironic ? They can't even implement "zero tolerance" within their own party, let alone a whole country!

Well I think a Garda increase is proof they tried, it's just they failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Well I think a Garda increase is proof they tried, it's just they failed.

Garda increase is more evidence that to sustain levels with an expanding population, increase was essential.

I think there is little evidence of them trying to make the gardai become more efficient and little evidence they tried to get ahead of the curve but more maintain services at their existing levels which arguably they have managed to achieve.

Certainly the traffic corps or fine giving and cash making portion of the gardai has increased but what about the serious crime wings when gang crime is continually on the rise in this country?

thebman wrote: »
    Garda increase is more evidence that to sustain levels with an expanding population, increase was essential.

I think there is little evidence of them trying to make the gardai become more efficient and little evidence they tried to get ahead of the curve but more maintain services at their existing levels which arguably they have managed to achieve.

Certainly the traffic corps or fine giving and cash making portion of the gardai has increased but what about the serious crime wings when gang crime is continually on the rise in this country?

Hey, I'm not trying to say FF did a good job on crime.In fact I know that they didn't.It's just I think they did make some effort to tackle crime.

Hey, I'm not trying to say FF did a good job on crime.In fact I know that they didn't.It's just I think they did make some effort to tackle crime.

Votes of confidence in their own con-men indicate otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sadly, they did more damage to fighting crime than the efforts of good.

Closed stations, closed training units, killed off a computerised database system that would find and share information, killed overtime for investigative officers, cut garda transports, the list goes on...

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fr0g

trapsagenius, I don't have strong affiliations with any party. In fact my opinion is that anyone who does is politically, economically and sociologically naive. Politicians are a cancer on society in my opinion. Those that start out with high ideals eventually succumb to the lure of power and money. Most get into politics only for the power and money. We do however have to work with what we've got.

A government that ends its term having done more good than harm is very rare in my experience on this island. My initial response in this thread was to dispel the fearmongering among FF supporters that the opposition in power was a frightening thought. I hope I have gone some way to allaying those fears.

There seems to be a concerted effort on this board and on p.ie from FF supporters to focus attention on the opposition because they are failing miserably to defend their own party. Particularly when headlines like these seem to be all too common.

nama-the truth - its a bailout for developers

Callely got €80,000 mileage from Cork

• Advertisement

trapsagenius, I don't have strong affiliations with any party. In fact my opinion is that anyone who does is politically, economically and sociologically naive. Politicians are a cancer on society in my opinion. Those that start out with high ideals eventually succumb to the lure of power and money. Most get into politics only for the power and money. We do however have to work with what we've got.

A government that ends its term having done more good than harm is very rare in my experience on this island. My initial response in this thread was to dispel the fearmongering among FF supporters that the opposition in power was a frightening thought. I hope I have gone some way to allaying those fears.

There seems to be a concerted effort on this board and on p.ie from FF supporters to focus attention on the opposition because they are failing miserably to defend their own party. Particularly when headlines like these seem to be all too common.

nama-the truth - its a bailout for developers

Callely got €80,000 mileage from Cork

Shocking thing about Callaly is that he is only in the Oireachtas thanks to his Northside buddy Ahern. He lost out on election to the Dail, and then he failed to be elected to the Seanad. So Bertie puts him in anyway.

If this is true, it is another disgrace. However, that wont stop Mr Callely seeking our votes in 2012.

Advertisement