Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oil boiler kicking in when timers off

• 19-01-2021 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi. I’ve a warm flow oil boiler. Runs 3 zones but water taken off it atm. Lately it’s started kicking in and running for a few minutes throughout the day and night. I’ve checked the motorised valves and all working fine. I changed room thermostat downstairs also. It works fine when turned on from the control panel. When control panel off and it kicks in by itself it doesn’t heat any of the rads so at least that’s ok. What would be next to check

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

With the recent temperatures it likely just a frost stat kicking in to protect the boiler from damage. I wouldn't expect this to be happening today.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Dazzler13

Wearb wrote: »
    With the recent temperatures it likely just a frost stat kicking in to protect the boiler from damage. I wouldn't expect this to be happening today.

Yeah it started a few weeks ago when temperatures were down but wasn’t too worried as I thought it was just the frost stat. But it never stopped

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Dazzler13 wrote: »
    Yeah it started a few weeks ago when temperatures were down but wasn’t too worried as I thought it was just the frost stat. But it never stopped

If its doing it today it needs further investigation.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Tom44

Possible a,
    Fault motorized valve (if you have zoned system) internal micro switch sticking on, even if valve is off.

Yep. It looks like the micro switch is stuck. Thanks. I’ve got a new one different model. Only thing is that in the new one the grey wire says normally connected to boiler and pump and orange wire normally to the 230v opposite from the old one. Does it make any difference

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

All microswitches are wired in parallel such that any zone valve indicating open will start the boiler. So you just need to identify the pair of wires feeding the old microswitch and disconnect from your wiring centre and duplicate the wiring setup with the new valve.

youtheman wrote: »
    All microswitches are wired in parallel such that any zone valve indicating open will start the boiler. So you just need to identify the pair of wires feeding the old microswitch and disconnect from your wiring centre and duplicate the wiring setup with the new valve.

Thanks. I know it’s orange and grey on both valves it’s just that the new valve the colours are opposite to old one. So do I swap or just go with old colour wiring

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭youtheman

It shouldn't make any difference. If you have 3 zone valves then all 3 orange should be connected to one terminal and all 3 grey to another terminal. But you can 'mix and match', e.g. orange/orange/grey on one terminal and then grey/grey/orange on the other. All 3 switches are wired in parallel for either option.

Advertisement