Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards Top Christmas Song of the 2000's

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

2-2 at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Loughc wrote: »
    I do like the Status Quo song but it's too much of an 80's vibe.

You say that like its a bad thing :pac:

All kidding aside, I actually admire it for retaining that sound & vibe. Retro (for me anyway) is so cool when done well & this does that IMO.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

The Quo.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

I'm going to go Arianna Grande, I do like the Status Quo song but it's too much of an 80's vibe.

An 80s aesthetic, if you please :D

It's the hardest one to call so far. The Quo is catchier and more fun. The AG is a very good song too.

On balance, the quo would put me in more christmas mood if it came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Will have to be status quo for me..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

5-2 to the Quo now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Ariana Grande for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Status Quo for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

The Quo for me as well. The older songs seem to be standing up better.

And the Quo advance 7-3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm going to go Arianna Grande, I do like the Status Quo song but it's too much of an 80's vibe.
    Surely that can only be a good thing. :D

The Quo for me as well. The older songs seem to be standing up better.

I must be getting old if a song from the '00s is described as one of the "older songs"! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Posy wrote: »

Well it is supposed to be the best song of the noughties, maybe it should sound like it was written this century :)
    I say that and I voted Status Quo, though did vote for for Arianna Grande in earlier rounds.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Posy wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I love the 80's, 80's music and was born in the 80s but I feel for a post 1999 era it doesn't fit.

Right it's Semi-Finals time.

This time we're doing things a little bit differently... in order to register a vote you need to explain why you've picked that song.

No explanation no vote. The stakes are higher now that a place in the final is up for grabs.

First to 8 or whoever is winning by 9pm.

First up it's;

Kelly Clarkson - Under the Tree

VS.

Gwen Stefani - You Make It Feel Like Christmas

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Kelly Clarkson - Under the Tree :)

Catchy, fun, and her dress in the video of the song is fab. :D It's just a feel-good belter of a tune.

Kelly Clarkson - Under the Tree. It's a happy song with a nice musical arrangement.

P.S. The video is not relevant for voting on a song in my opinion!

P.S. The video is not relevant for voting on a song in my opinion!

I actually disagree... the music video for Last Christmas, Shaking Stevens, Fairytale of NY are all iconic and add a new addition to the song.

Gwen Stefani for me. I only really discovered the song (like a few others) this year as I spent far far longer listening to Christmas FM than any other year as I was driving to/from work and on the days I was WFH had it on constantly. Liked the more relaxed vibe to this with the hint of country running through it too, which is the opposite of the IMO very shouty Kelly Clarkson one. I've added this to my christmas playlist on iTunes & spotify along with the 2 Robbie Williams ones this year and theres not many post 2000 songs that did that.

I suspect KC will win this anyway but as a song, personally I think its terribly overrated.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I actually disagree... the music video for Last Christmas, Shaking Stevens, Fairytale of NY are all iconic and add a new addition to the song.

I understand your point, but the car test is the ultimate one for me!

• Advertisement

I understand your point, but the car test is the ultimate one for me!

But the flip side of that is, every time you hear a song with an iconic video associated with it, it'll just pop into your head as soon as you hear the song, so I agree with Loughc, I think its a valid factor.

I cant listen to FONY or last Christmas without an image of the video popping into my head, albeit briefly perhaps, but its there nonetheless so they reinforce your overall experience of the song even if just listening in the car or out walking etc.

2-1 to Kelly Clarkson so far.

DvB wrote: »
    But the flip side of that is, every time you hear a song with an iconic video associated with it, it'll just pop into your head as soon as you hear the song, so I agree with Loughc, I think its a valid factor.

I cant listen to FONY or last Christmas without an image of the video popping into my head, albeit briefly perhaps, but its there nonetheless so they reinforce your overall experience of the song even if just listening in the car or out walking etc.

There's a flip side to that too! If you can't stand the song in the first place, the video is not going to make much difference to you! Re FONY, I used to like the song but I gradually went off it to the point that I can only put up with it a few times every year! The video is fine but that does not matter in this case! Re Shaky's Merry Christmas Everyone: I can't stand the song and the video is annoying because it reminds me of the song!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

Gwen Stefani all the way..

• Registered Users Posts: 27,873 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't choose between them... vote deliberately spoiled !

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Mutleyboo wrote: »

We needs a reason for the vote for the Semis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Kelly Clarkson for me, such a feel good Christmas song that I always turn up loud when I hear it on Christmas FM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Close but Kelly Clarkson

We needs a reason for the vote for the Semis :)
    dubstepper wrote: »
    Close but Kelly Clarkson
    Mutleyboo wrote: »

Need a reason guys,

as it stands Kelly is 3-1 up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I must be getting old if a song from the '00s is described as one of the "older songs"! :eek:

Ha ha, I meant the older songs in this competition as in the Darkness and Quo are doing well even though these songs were realised at the start of the century.
    As someone who is in his late 40's I know what old songs are, thanks for the laugh and sorry for the confusion.

Advertisement