Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When's calving starting 2020

Options
1333435363739»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭RD10

I assume you noticed it through milk leaking when she's lying? Either way it's probably just from capillaries bursting in the tissue of the quarter. Keep an eye for heat or swelling in both quarters but issue should rectify itself.

Cheers for that, ya taught i noticed tinge of blood on inside of her lower leg, shes quite enough that she wud stand for me to check.
    Pure dark red blood in them so i will be keeping an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭thatsmighty

Cameras are a good job

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

What was the name of the stomach tube yolk that someone had here but if was attached to a bottle instead of a bag? Would seem much easier to use to feed a calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭tanko

endainoz wrote: »
    What was the name of the stomach tube yolk that someone had here but if was attached to a bottle instead of a bag? Would seem much easier to use to feed a calf.

Was it a trusti tuber??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭High bike

not sure of the name but got one last year and find it great especially if ur on ur own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Speedy-Oral-Calf-Feeder-Xl-4l-Cw-Stomach-Feeder-0379569

Or this

https://www.farmanddairyspares.ie/product/trusti-tuber-calf-feeding-starter-pack/

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭endainoz

That trusti tuber looks a great job, definitely less stress on the calf than using the hard plastic of a regular stomach tube.

That's the one the Trusi Tuber find it a great job,and theres an adjustment on it depending on the weight of the calf

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Cionn80

The little fella born this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Diarmuid B

High bike wrote: »
    That's the one the Trusi Tuber find it a great job,and theres an adjustment on it depending on the weight of the calf

Without sounding stupid, how do you ensure the tube goes down the oesophagus and not down into the lungs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,057 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Diarmuid B wrote: »
    Without sounding stupid, how do you ensure the tube goes down the oesophagus and not down into the lungs?

If you put the end of the tube to your ear you'll hear the breathing if it's in the lung. at least thats what i do
    the one i used was easier to put into the lung

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Next time the vet is out get them to show you what to do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

If it's down correctly you should be able to feel the tube down along the oesophagus, you won't be able to feel it in the windpipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,047 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

wrangler wrote: »
    If you put the end of the tube to your ear you'll hear the breathing if it's in the lung. at least thats what i do

That's what I always do.

For the sake of a few seconds, it's better than a drowned calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Youl feel it if down correctly, especially when your sliding it down. I find milk will flow fast if it's in right too. I normally go down on the left side of the calf mouth above the tongue, normally easier to slide down if correct too

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Youl feel it if down correctly, especially when your sliding it down. I find milk will flow fast if it's in right too. I normally go down on the left side of the calf mouth above the tongue, normally easier to slide down if correct too

Diificult enough to feel it in a big calf
    The first few mls will kill them ...... too late then.
    Any way doctors differ and etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Diificult enough to feel it in a big calf
    The first few mls will kill them ...... too late then.
    Any way doctors differ and etc etc

Never had a bother here, hand down the left side of the neck and give the tube a wiggle and you'll feel the head of it if it's down right. I rather the collapsible bag types, think the rigid ones with the big solid head on them are a bit severe on a calf.

Never had a bother here, hand down the left side of the neck and give the tube a wiggle and you'll feel the head of it if it's down right. I rather the collapsible bag types, think the rigid ones with the big solid head on them are a bit severe on a calf.
    calf.[/QUOTE]u ur prob right about the rigid on being more severe but its safer I think as it starts the tube off on the right path so less likely to end up in the lungs

I never had a bother either apart from once, was sure it was in right yet heard the lungs I even listen to the lambs now and it never misses the stomach for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Started at 4.30am an fr 4513 bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Started at 4.30am an fr 4513 bull.

Lovely -

you'll have to start a new thread and lead the way into 2021

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Lovely -

you'll have to start a new thread and lead the way into 2021

Ahem, she... errr.... has!

Or, at least, I've done it for her.

New thread is here.

Please change over to the new thread. This will remain open to finish off any conversations underway.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

https://www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Speedy-Calf-Drencher-XL-4L/9098294

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    And finally. Lovely roan shorthorn heifer calf. I’m ringing John king ham tonight he can buy off me!!

Just for the craic lads I thought I’d give you an update on how this girl is getting on. Just over 5 weeks bulled and as I’m sure you’ll agree she’s a decent temperament

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

What did you AI her with? Good size to her

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    What did you AI her with? Good size to her

Ivor. Yea should be grand she’s near 550kgs

Advertisement