Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 PinkSpark

Hi All,
    I went Sale agreed on a house 31st Oct and there are still no contracts with my solicitor. When I chased the estate agent he advised he would check and come back to me but he knows the vendors are under pressure as they are also sale agreed and their vendor wants the process completed - so far no further update from him and that was 10 days ago

Spoke to my solicitor and she has advised that the vendors solicitor is still waiting for the title deeds from the bank and she thinks someone has dropped the ball here as that should have been one of the first things they organised....

Anyone been in this type of situation? how long does it take for banks to issue title deeds?

once this is sorted and the contracts are with my solicitor all going well what is the average turn around time?

thanks in advance

We went Sale Agreed at the end of September and only signed our Contracts last week. We were told the title deeds was holding up the sale and finally they got them in December so it took over 2 months for the vendors solicitor to receive them. Once the contracts are signed things can move quite quickly but it depends on if the vendors are waiting for a closing date for their purchase also. You will have more of an idea of the timeframe once you sign contracts and agree a closing date.

I hope you hear something soon! know it feels like it’s taking forever but this seems to be the average timeframe for a lot of sales at the moment. It will be worth all this stress when we get those keys

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Does this sort of thing happen often? Seems extremely unprofessional (and possibly illegal?) to me

I honestly don’t know, but I have seen people mention it plenty here.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭itsusuallyjazz

PinkSpark wrote: »
    We went Sale Agreed at the end of September and only signed our Contracts last week. We were told the title deeds was holding up the sale and finally they got them in December so it took over 2 months for the vendors solicitor to receive them. Once the contracts are signed things can move quite quickly but it depends on if the vendors are waiting for a closing date for their purchase also. You will have more of an idea of the timeframe once you sign contracts and agree a closing date.

I hope you hear something soon! know it feels like it’s taking forever but this seems to be the average timeframe for a lot of sales at the moment. It will be worth all this stress when we get those keys

Thanks so much - bored with waiting and just want to get moving now ( pun intended :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Thanks so much - bored with waiting now and just want to get moving now ( pun intended :D )

Out of interest. Do you know who the bank was? I think I'm in a similar situation with my letter of consent and been waiting since October as well.

Out of interest. Do you know who the bank was? I think I'm in a similar situation with my letter of consent and been waiting since October as well.

I believe it is Ulster Bank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭VegetaIRL8e

Good to know, thanks. Think the vendor Im dealing with is EBS. Im hoping something comes through in the next week.

Good to know, thanks. Think the vendor Im dealing with is EBS. Im hoping something comes through in the next week.

Best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gaeilgeoir_Dub

Eds wrote: »
    We've got confirmation we're good to go, nothing further required. This is with Finance Ireland through a broker. I have to say I anticipated a much more involved process. We were asked for documents, we provided them when requested and that was that. I think our application is probably quite straightforward but I also think using a broker cut out much of the leg work for us.

That's great news congrats. I know what you mean, I was expecting more hassle before drawdown, especially as all our previous docs, 6 months statements, employee status form etc were all handed over so long ago, I felt we were definitely missing something but this might actually be the easiest part of the whole process!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shreko

That's great news congrats. I know what you mean, I was expecting more hassle before drawdown, especially as all our previous docs, 6 months statements, employee status form etc were all handed over so long ago, I felt we were definitely missing something but this might actually be the easiest part of the whole process!

It’s amazing how different all the banks are. I felt like drawdown was nearly as thorough for us as the initial stage of applying for the mortgage was. They wanted all payslips, letters from employers, evidence of loans cleared (despite this being evident on the ICB check they did ). We also would have had to give last 30 days bank statements but didn’t need to as we bank with them too.
    The whole process took two weeks to approve as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LosPrimos

Hi.

We have a house gone sale agreed in South Dublin in early December, its vacant so no issue people going in. But now are being told that the bank valuer won't check anything until after lockdown.

Is this now commonplace.

Thanks

Los

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Moving!

LosPrimos wrote: »
    Hi.

We have a house gone sale agreed in South Dublin in early December, its vacant so no issue people going in. But now are being told that the bank valuer won't check anything until after lockdown.

Is this now commonplace.

Thanks

Los

I heard the same today from our mortgage broker.

Moving! wrote: »
    I heard the same today from our mortgage broker.

This will effectively mean nothing can get near sold. This house is vacant.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

This will effectively mean nothing can get near sold. This house is vacant.

Any cash bidders?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Hi.

Is this now commonplace.

Thanks

Los

What bank?

Browney7 wrote: »
    What bank?

No idea. We just got an email from the estate agent, so we are trying to work out options.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Sweetaure wrote: »
    Anyone buying in Cork city?

Yes.... well we are looking!

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

Lia_lia wrote: »
    Yes.... well we are looking!

How are you finding it? There’s hardly anything!! How long are you looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

I had been looking in the cork city suburbs, close to work, at first but I had to keep widening my search to find something that ticked all my boxes within my budget. I have ended up sale agreed on a house about 30KM from work. However the positives of the house and location far out weigh the longer commute, in fact the commute is the only negative really. I am just hoping that all goes smoothly until I get my keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Sweetaure

lindtee wrote: »
    I had been looking in the cork city suburbs, close to work, at first but I had to keep widening my search to find something that ticked all my boxes within my budget. I have ended up sale agreed on a house about 30KM from work. However the positives of the house and location far out weigh the longer commute, in fact the commute is the only negative really. I am just hoping that all goes smoothly until I get my keys.

Did you have to look further away because you kept being outbid? We’re looking for something rather specific but there have been few house come on the market in the last year or so, and an estate agent is after telling me that they have very little to come on, especially with the lockdown being extended... we’re sale agreed on our current house a few weeks now, but the engineer won’t come out to us, so we’re in limbo...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Sweetaure wrote: »
    How are you finding it? There’s hardly anything!! How long are you looking?

Been looking since April last year! We almost bought a new build in the autumn but we pulled out. We are open to new builds and second hand houses. There’s so little out there though, hoping it picks up soon. How about yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Browney7 wrote:
    What bank?

LosPrimos wrote:
    No idea. We just got an email from the estate agent, so we are trying to work out options.

If you're sale agreed it is your own bank/mortgage provider sending in their valuation agent to ascertain that the house is worth the amount you are seeking to borrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Cash_Q

Cash_Q wrote:
    If you're sale agreed it is your own bank/mortgage provider sending in their valuation agent to ascertain that the house is worth the amount you are seeking to borrow.

Edit to add .. sorry if you're the vendor then of course youd have no idea who the buyers bank is

Just walked away from a place I really liked, bidding was getting excessive, I had the room to go a bit higher but had to look at it objectively and realise the place wasn't worth it. Was my first time bidding on a property so I am at least glad of the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭tianna

Markitron wrote: »
    Just walked away from a place I really liked, bidding was getting excessive, I had the room to go a bit higher but had to look at it objectively and realise the place wasn't worth it. Was my first time bidding on a property so I am at least glad of the experience.

Same, decided not to continue bidding on a property today. Really really liked the place but it wouldn't have been my forever home so worried about not being able to sell it for around the same price in 7-10 years time

tianna wrote: »
    Same, decided not to continue bidding on a property today. Really really liked the place but it wouldn't have been my forever home so worried about not being able to sell it for around the same price in 7-10 years time

Yea I started having thoughts about leaving it in 5 years so I figured that was probably a bad sign

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ditto on walking away today. Not the first time in the last few months for me.

I find setting a limit before it begins really does help - that and not getting emotionally attached to a property.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ditto on walking away today. Not the first time in the last few months for me.

I find setting a limit before it begins really does help - that and not getting emotionally attached to a property.

It was hard sticking to the limit I set, especially when the vendors start using the jedi mind tricks on you, but its necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Smiley11

Its terrible. Supply is really poor & bidding wars seem to happen on any house we're remotely interested in. We're going to wait it out for a few months in the hope demand eases some bit because the current market is too frantic for us. We never expected to be in this position this time last year but we just have to make the best of it & keep saving! Best of luck to you all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 SheepTurtle

We paid our booking deposit yesterday and officially sale agreed now 😊 it's our forever home and ticks all the boxes so we are delighted! So nervous throughout the whole bidding process but it worked out in our favour.

Can anyone tell me if valuations and surveys are all stopping in level 5 lockdown? I have heard differing things so not sure what will happen or when. Waiting for valuer to contact us as per brokers last message. Does anyone have any recent experience in this if their valuation went ahead in lockdown? Also when is the survey normally completed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭extrafluff

Is it ok to ask an estate agent that the sellers expectations are for them to accept a bid? We bid 10k under asking, a different offer came in at 5k under asking, we then bid asking price. A different offer came in at 5k over asking. We have maybe 1 or 2 last offers to make before we're at our max.

Advertisement