Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ need to up their forecasting presentation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ye have little to be worrying about, feckin greetings ffs.

Both Elizabeth Coleman and Linda Hughes have been great additions to the professional meteorologists presenting on RTÉ, both clear and concise.

Its Joanna that still bugs me, contriving her style like she's on at the Gaiety. She trips herself up almost every time she's on, just give us the weather, not a song and dance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Its Joanna that still bugs me, contriving her style like she's on at the Gaiety. She trips herself up almost every time she's on, just give us the weather, not a song and dance.

I know what you mean, but at least she's more on top of her brief, unlike the Ryan girl who's really not suited to TV weather forecasting, bless her.

Always uneasy and unsettled in her way.

I think by and large the latest/new crop of RTE weather presenters (Coleman & Hughes Inc) are very professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is Jean Byrne ditched?

Haven't seen her present the weather in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

NIMAN wrote: »
    Is Jean Byrne ditched?

Haven't seen her present the weather in ages.

Nope still on.

Tonight's faux pas was less saying good night at the start than it was headlining a wet Tuesday in her opening summary but then ending the forecast with Monday! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Evelyn Cusack was the best weather presenter in my opinion. I know she's the boss now so not on but I miss her forecasts. Occasionally she would cover extreme weather events from around the world as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

Bring back Gerald Fleming I say :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Tyrone212 wrote: »
    Evelyn Cusack was the best weather presenter in my opinion. I know she's the boss now so not on but I miss her forecasts. Occasionally she would cover extreme weather events from around the world as well.

She was good but she did sound half cut sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Pangea

Is Joan Blackburn or John. Eagleton involved with Met Éireann anymore?

Edit I see John retired

Pangea wrote: »

Edit I see John retired

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1178742786323091456?s=19

Joan would be well up to retirement age too I would think, shes probably gone a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Pangea wrote: »

Edit I see John retired

https://twitter.com/MetEireann/status/1178742786323091456?s=19

Joan still does some radio broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

Joan still does some radio broadcasts.

I miss Jean Byrne. Hope she’s back on our screens soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

esposito wrote: »
    I miss Jean Byrne. Hope she’s back on our screens soon.

She was on about a week ago, iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭highdef

She was on about a week ago, iirc.

I think esposito is confusing Joan for Jean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭esposito

highdef wrote: »
    I think esposito is confusing Joan for Jean.

No I meant jet black hair, big gulp, fashionista Jean :D I haven't seen her on our tv screens for a good while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

New weather girl tonight, RTE weather @9.30pm.

"Hi there and Goodnight" is her greeting :confused:

Normally speaking they would say 'goodnight' at the end of the broadcast, really weird hearing this as the greeting.

Goodnight is not a greeting, it's a parting gift.

It's better than some of them saying good evening
    at 9 30 pm in Winter or Eileen Dunne always starting the News at 9 with " Good evening on the 9 o'clock News tonight".

It's better than some of them saying good evening
    at 9 30 pm in Winter or Eileen Dunne always starting the News at 9 with " Good evening on the 9 o'clock News tonight".

No, my point being 'Good Night' is not a greeting, it's a parting remark at the end of a conversation.

When you meet someone at night you don't say Hi and Goodnight, or if you receive a phonecall at night you don't start off by saying hello there and 'Goodnight', do you.

Goodnight is a parting, an ending, at the finish of the conversation or broadcast.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

No, my point being 'Good Night' is not a greeting, it's a parting remark at the end of a conversation.

When you meet someone at night you don't say Hi and Goodnight, or if you receive a phonecall at night you don't start off by saying hello there and 'Goodnight', do you.

Goodnight is a parting, an ending, at the finish of the conversation or broadcast.

The presenters have a certain Moneypenny quality about them. Clearly smart and often sexy. So a Ms Goodnight is fine by me and I won't be holding them to account over it. 'Weather' you do or not is another matter entirely.

That girl Hughes (Linda)? did the RTE weather forecast yesterday after the 9pm news. Very pleasant, sure footed, informative, crystals clear, and professional IMO.

Top marks to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

That girl Hughes (Linda)? did the RTE weather forecast yesterday after the 9pm news. Very pleasant, sure footed, informative, crystals clear, and professional IMO.

Top marks to her.

I noticed the same. I thought she gave a very good presentation, very professional, confident and polished throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

14.00 minutes in, my favourite weather forecaster when I was a kid ,Paddy McHugh.

https://youtu.be/qMEILL38iFs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Billcarson wrote: »
    14.00 minutes in, my favourite weather forecaster when I was a kid ,Paddy McHugh.

https://youtu.be/qMEILL38iFs

That was a great watch. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

that girl with ginger hair is poor enough very stuttry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Dickie10

joanna donnelly, very unsure of herself always

Oh no, it's Elizabeth "Hi there & Goodnight" :confused:

I wish somebody would have a quiet word with her. I mean she's grand and she conveys the forecast in a professional manner, she also ends the weather forecast perfectly well with goodnight, so it's just a shame about the "greeting" :cool:

Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Oh no, it's Elizabeth "Hi there & Goodnight" :confused:

I wish somebody would have a quiet word with her. I mean she's grand and she conveys the forecast in a professional manner, she also ends the weather forecast perfectly well with goodnight, so it's just a shame about the "greeting" :cool:

Please say you’re joking? If you’re not, have a word with yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Gerry Scully 13 minutes 50 seconds in. New yrs eve 87. This would have been near the end of that type of presentation on rte before graphics.

https://youtu.be/D9LPuNFYn9Q

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I remember when Gerry Murphy started that he used to begin his forecasts with “Hello there, and a very good night to you”. He changed it after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Have I noticed the new girl has stopped saying "good night" at the start of her forecast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

https://www.rte.ie/gaeilge/2021/0315/1204046-athru-aimsire-do-sheachtain-na-gaeilge/
    Is é Darren Ó Dubhgáin a bheidh ag cur príomhfheasachán aimsire TG4 i láthair ó Cheannáras TG4 i mBaile na hAbhann ag 18:57,
    agus as sin rachfar chuig Nuala Carey RTÉ i nDún Laoghaire
    agus chuig Karina Buckley a bheidh taobh amuigh d'Áras an Uachtaráin.
    Helen Curran a chuirfidh feasachán aimsire RTÉ One News and Weather i láthair
    agus rachfar chuig Fiona Ní Fhlaithearta TG4 ag Túr Chamuis i gConamara,
    ansin rachfar chuig Donncha Ó Murchú i mBóthar na Trá.

Advertisement