Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Messed up Career

Options
  • 18-01-2021 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I started a new job last March but I feel that I have made a mistake and I am unsure as to what to do. I understand, it was probably the worst time to join - covid restrictions delayed my on site start until October. I was WFH during that period however my usefulness was restrained due to a lack in training. The company did try to do everything they could under the situation at hand.

However, my problem is that, I am now currently a year in the job and I still have nothing to show for the last year. Nothing has changed, while I am more onsite now, I am not getting the level of training required to become in any way competent at my job and with the current situation it looks like it is only going to continue like this for the foreseeable future and its very frustrating. All my workmates are too busy to train me in while I just feel like im just being left as nobody wants to take me on for training.

I know these are trying times but I know of other people who have changed jobs recently and they have not faced the same issues I am facing. When I took on the job it was a different career direction from the one I was in previously. I took this role with a smaller company in the hope that I could perhaps move on to something better with time. I feel like I have given it enough time and maybe move back to a job like something I previously did. I have also being feeling that maybe it hasnt been the right career move as there are certain aspects of the job I feel i just wont like since I got on site.

Another issue I am having although this is probably with everyone atm is, there that I have literally nobody to relate to, nobody I can talk to about things. These issues are with everyone presently, however I dont see my fortunes changing for me when covid restrictions ease. The demographic is much older in the company. It would be nicer to have a more mixed workforce - young and old. Practically everyone is settled, married or well just matured in there roles. Im the only young person here. I should probably add I moved from the city for this role back home. Its like I took a chance but its not paying off.

I dont know if I am acting a bit rash in this situation or if Im being a bit daft over these feelings. Should I give it more time or have I already given it enough time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

It's hardly messed up though really?

You took a job based on many factors which at the time seemed like the best decision for you.

Now it's not working out as planned so you are looking to remedy the situation.

You weren't to know about covid and about the older workforce....

Had covid not struck, you would have received training and possibly built better rapport with your coworkers and be enjoying the job.

It's not a major disaster in your career path - you've just taken a slight detour

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I agree with pp.

Maybe things would have gone differently, if we weren't locked down and all the rest. So, you haven't messed up your career. You tried something, it didn't go as planned. There were some unforeseen circumstances involved.

Keep an eye out for new opportunities. If you have contacts in your old workplace, and you would like to move back there, there's no harm in asking. I have seen people do that, and it has panned out just fine for them.

Meantime, can you chat with your manager about training. It's in their interest to have you trained up fully, and it would ultimately take more of the workload from your workmates, which would be a win/ win if they are saying that they are too busy to train you. Short term pain for long term gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You've mentioned a few different problems in your post.

Covid is screwing everything up so many businesses are having to struggle along and maybe because of this they aren't paying as much attention to training etc.

It's very difficult to learn how to do a job when you are working from home. You are pretty much only 3 months on site and part of that was over the Christmas period so it's only to be expected that you aren't learning as fast as if you had been on site since March last year.

I don't understand why you think you have nothing to show for the last year. The fact that you are still working there means that you must be productive. You wouldn't be left in a job if you weren't contributing for the last 9 months.

Speak to your manager about your concerns. Maybe your manager doesn't realise that you are struggling and need more training. If you were up to speed with training etc. then maybe you would feel more at ease in the job.

If working with older people is a problem, stick it out for the next 30 years and then you'll be grand. :D Seriously though, if this is a big problem for you, then there's nothing much you can do about that other than seeking fresh pastures. But remember, you could move to another company and it could be the same demographic. Personally I never had any problems working with an older group as they have a lot of experience and are often ideally positioned to teach the younger members of the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭bitofabind

I'd suggest two things:

1. Schedule a call with your line manager to discuss a training plan to get on track. Not sure what your relationship with him/her is, but if this was me, I'd list out the areas I feel under-supported in and create my own plan for remedying it. Then I'd talk to my manager and get her to sign off on it.

2. Hand pick a few of the colleagues that are performing the job well and/or you feel comfortable engaging with. Then schedule a meet-and-greet with them, ask to pick their brains about their positions. Ask if they'd be willing to give some pointers. Could you follow up with them in a few weeks? People love to feel like an expert and love to give advice. It's just a matter of finding the right mentor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

bitofabind wrote: »
    1. Schedule a call with your line manager to discuss a training plan to get on track. Not sure what your relationship with him/her is, but if this was me, I'd list out the areas I feel under-supported in and create my own plan for remedying it. Then I'd talk to my manager and get her to sign off on it.

This in particular is excellent advice and something you can do tomorrow to get the ball rolling, which will at least temporarily give you relief on the feelings of worthlessness you’re experiencing.

It’s understandable to feel under-trained and supported, as you do. To expect any reasonable level of competence from you, your employer has a responsibility to empower you with the training and tools needed to do your job. From a management perspective, this is why you’ll get asked on occasion if you feel like you have been given support and so on. The temptation many have, to not rock the boat or draw attention to lower performance, is to just say yes and do your best to get on with things. But that’s a naive move because then you’re making yourself accountable for a situation you may not be and waiving your opportunity to get the support you need. Instead put it on the record that you haven’t and your employer will have to give you the time you’re entitled to to at least give this job a fair shot. You don’t have to do this confrontationally, it is understandable why they didn’t and your employer obviously didn’t foresee COVID. But be frank with them and get the support you need. There’s no shame in it and any ‘hassle’ you may be worried about causing will hopefully pay off and be worthwhile for everyone when they end up with a good, happy employee at the end of it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement