Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Brittas Empire

• 21-02-2017 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone here ever watch this comedy about a leisure centre under the management of the well-meaning but incompetent Gordon Brittas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yup, loved it. Pippa Haywood was great as the long-suffering foil to Chris Barrie's over-confident semi-buffoon. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

Yep, loved it back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭smilerf

Never missed it. Colin and Carol were gas

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

I think I have the boxset on video somewhere. It's Classic comedy

Since I have been manager, I am proud to say there have only been twenty-three deaths. And not one of them was a staff member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Always remember the poor receptionist Carol who would hide her babies in the drawers :/

I just Googled her character in wikipedia and I didn't realise or maybe I just forgot but Mr Brittas was the father of two of her children???

• Advertisement

Semper Omnibus Facultas! :D

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Always remember the poor receptionist Carol who would hide her babies in the drawers :/

I just Googled her character in wikipedia and I didn't realise or maybe I just forgot but Mr Brittas was the father of two of her children???
    Jesus's I didn't realise that myself

• Registered Users Posts: 10,848 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

"Witbury new town Leisure Centre"

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭jameorahiely

You know what Brittas said: if he found it in here again, he'd confiscate it.

:pac:
    smilerf wrote: »
    Jesus's I didn't realise that myself
    Neither did Mr. Brittas

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Colin must have had every skin disease known to man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Brilliant show!
    So much comedy gold on tv around that time... or so it seemed?

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Brilliant show!
    So much comedy gold on tv around that time... or so it seemed?
    there was but the don't make them nowadays because people prefer all reality ****

I remember my parents also liked Drop the Dead Donkey which i think had a similar kind of humour but was set in a news room.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

It was one of my favourites, especially the one where Colin rigged up the toilets to generate electricity!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

My favourite episode was when they tried to arrange for the members of the leisure centre to swim in the pool with a dolphin,but of course amid all the comedy of errors,the "dolphin" they were swimming with was actually a shark!!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,248 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I remember my parents also liked Drop the Dead Donkey which i think had a similar kind of humour but was set in a news room.

Drop the Dead Donkey was quality comedy, one of the smartest shows of its time. But The Brittas Empire just never did it for me, and tbh I wouldn't put them in the same category at all.

Zaph wrote: »
    Drop the Dead Donkey was quality comedy, one of the smartest shows of its time. But The Brittas Empire just never did it for me, and tbh I wouldn't put them in the same category at all.

Ah yea I only vaguely remember it tbh and it probably was a superior comedy but I just meant it as that both programmess were set as a mix of colleague's with a few oddball characters trying to keep things ticking over with eccentric bosses.

I also probably connect the two because my parents watched them and they were running around the same time as well. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Haha I remember it. Didn't one of them pronounce is name as though there was no space... as in misterbrittas said really quickly

ArthurG wrote: »
    Haha I remember it. Didn't one of them pronounce is name as though there was no space... as in misterbrittas said really quickly

IIRC that was poor put-upon Carole, the secretary. She was the one who brought her small children to work but hid them in her desk drawers in case Gordon confiscated them. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,060 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ArthurG wrote: »
    jimgoose wrote: »
    IIRC that was poor put-upon Carole, the secretary. She was the one who brought her small children to work but hid them in her desk drawers in case Gordon confiscated them. :pac:

Was it not colin, the guy with the hygiene problem, who said his name that way?

• Advertisement

ye it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

smilerf wrote:
    ye it was

It was the receptionist Carol who said it like that.

Cazale wrote: »
    It was the receptionist Carol who said it like that.
    it was colin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

smilerf wrote:
    it was colin

He called him Mr Brit Ass. Carol used to say it quickly because she was shy or nervous he would see her kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Definitely Carole.

Go to 8.15 in this clip:

Cazale wrote: »
    He called him Mr Brit Ass. Carol used to say it quickly because she was shy or nervous he would see her kids.
    ye you're right. I misread

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

The Brittas Empire cast are doing a reunion on Facebook Live next week

https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/news/6170/brittas-empire-reunion/

Advertisement