Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

McGregor via Decision
    any way of ordering this as a once off ppv ?

i dont want to use the ufc site or any streams

just want to use the tv but dont wanna sign up to a tv package just for this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision

Afraid not! At least not any way we can discuss on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

McGregor via Decision
    ASOT wrote: »
    Lads how can anyone dislike wonderboy what a legend; cannot wait for this event.

Uh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Think Eircom is your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

In a way I kind of wish Conor wasn't on this card. :o It's always harder to enjoy it when I'll be bricking it all night leading up to and during his fight.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Paully D wrote: »
    In a way I kind of wish Conor wasn't on this card. :o It's always harder to enjoy it when I'll be bricking it all night leading up to and during his fight.

The part on Inside the Octagon which showed Alvarez against Pettis, and his little move to lean in, dodge and shut off the space as me worried now. It's really not something I considered before.

It makes me believe he'll try it against Conor. Hopefully he can catch him with a sweet one but now that I've seen Alvarez can dodge them, it makes me worry about his own counter to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

You'll have to go through Eir Sport/Sky and take out a minimum 2 month contract. It's very quick and easy and can be done online with a few clicks (see link in OP).

If you're a Sky customer and a non-Eir broadband customer (so can't avail of their free offer which gives Eir broadband customers free access to BT Sport), they have a special UFC 205 offer price of €16.99 per month for the first 2 months, so it'll work out at €34 if you want to cancel straight after.

Just to note however that if you subscribed you'd also get access to 8 more events including UFC 206 and UFC 207 (Ronda's return) before your subscription expires.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote:
    In a way I kind of wish Conor wasn't on this card. It's always harder to enjoy it when I'll be bricking it all night leading up to and during his fight.

Beer and Doritos help......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Alvarez via Submission
    My word Romero is in some shape . Cant wait for that fight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

McGregor via Decision
    What time is Trump v Hillary? Hillary by rear naked choke for me.

Oooooh so close now, Saturday is like Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

McGregor via Decision
    Let's hope the losing supporters in NYC aren't rioting over the election results!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor via Decision
    dashoonage wrote: »
    What do ye reckon lads....lights out and The Foggy Dew for the garden?

of course

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

McGregor via Decision
    Paully D wrote: »
    You'll have to go through Eir Sport/Sky and take out a minimum 2 month contract. It's very quick and easy and can be done online with a few clicks (see link in OP).

If you're a Sky customer and a non-Eir broadband customer (so can't avail of their free offer which gives Eir broadband customers free access to BT Sport), they have a special UFC 205 offer price of €16.99 per month for the first 2 months, so it'll work out at €34 if you want to cancel straight after.

Just to note however that if you subscribed you'd also get access to 8 more events including UFC 206 and UFC 207 (Ronda's return) before your subscription expires.

As far as I can see, BT have decided to add an activation fee also. Is there any way around this? They are taking the piss at this stage

EDIT: Nevermind, I was stupidly on the uk website. I see that offer from Eir now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

McGregor via Decision
    What time is Trump v Hillary? Hillary by rear naked choke for me.

Oooooh so close now, Saturday is like Christmas.
    Nah, Trump to get beat up for 4 rounds, lands a great shot in the 5th and then it will depend can he finish her or will the bell sound!

This card is ridiculous. Like that prelim card could be it's own PPV if you took one of the title fights and made it the main event. Stacked top to bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Wonderboy retrospective - Really excited for this one too.
    https://youtu.be/_z1AEWH7uLc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Always surprises me when a top level athlete uses things like acupuncture. I know it doesn't have any negative effects but still strange as you expect all the professionals around them to be versed in pseudoscience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    duke roufus really got me thinking yesterday, could you have a more perfect coach to try decode and strategize for wonderboy? still backing wonderboy to get the w but I dont think it'll be as open and shut as i thought at first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Depp wrote: »
    duke roufus really got me thinking yesterday, could you have a more perfect coach to try decode and strategize for wonderboy? still backing wonderboy to get the w but I dont think it'll be as open and shut as i thought at first!

Duke is one of the good guys BUT i lost some respect for him when he allowed CM Punk to fight Mickey Gall. Yes, i know Punk is a grown man who can decide for himself. But a Coach has a responsibility not to allow a fighter to get inside a cage, risking his life and health, if he isn't ready.

Punk clearly wasn't ready. He crossed feet many times when he came forward from the bell, which is a foundation level principle he butchered. He had completely no answers for Gall on the ground and didn't even execute basic principles. Gall went 6 minutes with Gordon Ryan at the NAGA World no-gi's in 2015 without being submitted. If you can hang 6 minutes with a phenom, you're obviously talented.

He should have said to Punk "you're not ready and if you insist on fighting i can't stand over it".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

McGregor via Decision

Definitely going be a very interesting fight. Wonderboy is a master strategist too. How he shut Rory down was impressive. Though if there's anyone who can get inside the pocket fast enough to do damage it's Woodley.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Definitely going be a very interesting fight. Wonderboy is a master strategist too. How he shut Rory down was impressive. Though if there's anyone who can get inside the pocket fast enough to do damage it's Woodley.

There's only one "strategy" for Woodley and it's very simple - it's called Matt Brown.

He just needs to be willing to take a shot closing the distance and make it an ugly, attritional fight with lots of clinch work and mat work.

Failing that he just needs to land a bomb of a right hand and hope for the best - maybe break one of his ribs or something.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Woodley will be too tired chasing him for a few rounds, he has 2 rounds max to land a right hand or its gonna be a very long night getting kicked in the cranium.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

I know this sounds like a hilariously made up chinese whisper story but at least i know the sighting part isn't thanks to the sneaky pics he took.
    A friend of a friend was in Philadelphia airport last night, spotted Alvarez & Woodley running into each other, overheard them talking & basically Alvarez said something along the lines of everyone expects him to come out shooting & heavy on the wrestling but that that's not the plan at all, if he stands & trades I think it's gonna be a bad night for'em :P

liW07H4.jpg

z54ICWc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    Or he knew your friend was listening, that he'd tell you, you'd post on boards, John Kavanagh would read it, he'd tell Conor not to bother defending takedowns and Eddie ends up grinding out a 50-45 decision. That man is diabolical!

Seriously, if Eddie decides to stand (which he may very well do for pride "I don't need to wrassle") he's gonna have a baaaad tiiiiiime.

Alvarez via Submission
    Nate Diaz's snapchat is funny hes watching Eddie getting a whooping off Cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Duke is one of the good guys BUT i lost some respect for him when he allowed CM Punk to fight Mickey Gall. Yes, i know Punk is a grown man who can decide for himself. But a Coach has a responsibility not to allow a fighter to get inside a cage, risking his life and health, if he isn't ready.

Punk clearly wasn't ready. He crossed feet many times when he came forward from the bell, which is a foundation level principle he butchered. He had completely no answers for Gall on the ground and didn't even execute basic principles. Gall went 6 minutes with Gordon Ryan at the NAGA World no-gi's in 2015 without being submitted. If you can hang 6 minutes with a phenom, you're obviously talented.

He should have said to Punk "you're not ready and if you insist on fighting i can't stand over it".
    I am pretty sure Duke adviced punk against the fight but at the end of the day you can only advice. It was a lot of money at stake for Punk, he would be stupid not to go for it. atleast that is what i think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gamebred wrote:
    Nate Diaz's snapchat is funny hes watching Eddie getting a whooping off Cowboy.

Whats his username on that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

McGregor via Decision
    Head Wreck wrote: »
    Whats his username on that

natediaz209

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

McGregor via Decision
    No harm IMO, move Meisha fight down to prelim, shorter main card. Plus Timmay was prob gonna win and could do without his Murica BS post fight speech.

• Advertisement

Alvarez via Submission
    Zero-Cool wrote: »
    No harm IMO, move Meisha fight down to prelim, shorter main card. Plus Timmay was prob gonna win and could do without his Murica BS post fight speech.

Very good point it saved us from his cheesey murican **** talk,

Also it probably brings the fights forward 20mins.

Advertisement