Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Aldo McGregor CONFIRMED July 11 Vegas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Mellor wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if there were many other Irish fighters on the 189 card, or the fight night. It made sense for UFC Dublin and Boston, but I don't see why they'd get preference here. Maybe Gunni as he's due a match up.

Maybe you're right but might make sense for the SBG guys to have at least another fighter in action that weekend rather than have their crew pulled all over the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Maybe you're right but might make sense for the SBG guys to have at least another fighter in action that weekend rather than have their crew pulled all over the shop.

You could apply that same logic to Nova Uniao, AlphaMale, ATT, Jacksons, etc

You could apply that same logic to Nova Uniao, AlphaMale, ATT, Jacksons, etc

The costs for reps of those Gyms to get around would be a lot less as those listed are based in America many having multiple academies spread throughout different states. It would be logical to have another fighter involved esp over 2 fight cards, then again as it's for the title maybe the sole focus should be on Conor I dunno.

What are reps from gyms? There are SBG gyms all over America too.
    I don't see how some having multiple academies matters. Aldo trains in Nova in Rio, not in america. A Nova gym based in elsewhere is no real benefit to him, his corner will be from his own team.

How is the cost for a team to get to vegas relevant to the card? Maybe i'm missing your your point.
    It's gonna be one of the main cards for the year. I'm not sure that an extra free flight for SBG will be high on the priorities. If Gunni/Ais/Paddy get a fight, it'll be on their own merits (those would be my choices in order)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Be like Nutella

Dying to see the odds for this fight !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

On PaddyPower

Aldo 8/13
    McGregor 5/4

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Tobyglen wrote: »
    Duffy aswell. More potential than all those mentioned bar Conor.

Eek, forgot about him!

Dying to see the odds for this fight !

Odds have been out since the day after the Siver fight

What are reps from gyms? There are SBG gyms all over America too.
    I don't see how some having multiple academies matters. Aldo trains in Nova in Rio, not in america. A Nova gym based in elsewhere is no real benefit to him, his corner will be from his own team.

How is the cost for a team to get to vegas relevant to the card? Maybe i'm missing your your point.
    It's gonna be one of the main cards for the year. I'm not sure that an extra free flight for SBG will be high on the priorities. If Gunni/Ais/Paddy get a fight, it'll be on their own merits (those would be my choices in order)

Representatives as in Cornermen etc. SBG haven't got Gyms in America. Brazil is in South America in recent years cards are very prominent there too with PPV times unaffected.

The flights aren't free even if they are coming out of the UFC's pocket they only allow for a minimal entourage same for hotel rooms too which is why you hear American fighters on European cards for instance complaining such and such wasn't there because it would have to come out of his pocket to get someone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭RoboRat

SBG haven't got Gyms in America

Yeah they do, SBG is an American organisation whose HQ is in Portland and founded by Matt Thornton. SBGi is the Irish arm of that organisation: www.straightblastgym.com

If anybody is going you should check out Hotwire for hotels, you get a list of hidden hotels and once you pick and pay, the hotel is revealed. My mate done it last year and got the Wynn for a crazy rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

So who here will definitely be making the trip?

I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

July date has priced me out of it damn it, hopefully they'll have it on in the Woolshed!

So who here will definitely be making the trip?

I'm there.

I'm in.

Flying out Wednesday 8th, back Monday 13th. Going to aim for tickets for the Fight Night on the Sunday as well as UFC 189.

As far as I know the Sunday one is a TUF finale though which is a shame. Would have preferred a proper FN.

Booked 5 nights at the Luxor, €380 plus resort fee of about €100. On that note, pay attention to that folks, depending who you book with, resort fees may not be included in the price. Usually between $25 and $35 per night depending on the hotel.

I booked via booking.com so I'll keep an eye and may re-book and cancel if the price changes. Would prefer the MGM but it's currently much more expensive.

PS, for anyone who banks with Ulster Bank and has a uFirst account, don't forget that you get 25% back on Ticketmaster purchases.

Given that I'm likely to spend around €700 on 4 tickets (2 for 189, 2 for Fight Night), that's a pretty nice saving.

Gonna head out on the 7th and back the 13th. Got MGM last week for €560 for the 7 nights.

Looking forward to the fight week also.

Now to the MASSIVE rumour that is circulating; they want Lesnar on this card also against either Mir or Bigfoot.

If so, this event could have a great chance of breaking the one million ppv buys and would mean an enormous payday for Conor.

RoboRat wrote: »
    Yeah they do, SBG is an American organisation whose HQ is in Portland and founded by Matt Thornton. SBGi is the Irish arm of that organisation: www.straightblastgym.com

Learn something new I think the i is for international though as opposed to Irish from the info I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RasTa wrote: »
    If you want a cheap Hotel the Travelodge is about a 5min walk to MGM and is €333 from the 7th-14th...

All you need is a bed and a shower IMO. Not as if anyone will be sober enough for the week to care :pac: I'd go for the above option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

Anyone maken the 3 hour dash from Gatwick to London on the way home on Tuesday?? If so ye fancy chipping in on a taxi about 50 pounds if we can get 5 be worth it

Gonna head out on the 7th and back the 13th. Got MGM last week for €560 for the 7 nights.

Is that including resort fees?

Representatives as in Cornermen etc. SBG haven't got Gyms in America. Brazil is in South America in recent years cards are very prominent there too with PPV times unaffected.
    As was pointed out, there are SBG gyms in america. Its of no benefit. The cornermen come from their own gym. Same for ATT, Nova, A-M etc

I'm already aware that Brazil is South America :rollyes:
    McGregor's gym in Dublin is closer to Las Vegas than Aldo's home gym in Rio.

The fighters get one cornerman covered by the UFC. The rest is on the fighter.

THey amy or may not have irish guys on the cards, but it'll be on he fighters own merit. Not because its convenient for corner men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭babymanval

DrPhilG wrote: »

http://www.travelcounsellors.ie/hazel.fogarty - This lady was referred to me a couple of years ago and has done a few weekend city breaks/sun holliers for me. She did my Boston trip, and have just gone through her for July in Vegas too (I need to sort fight ticket directly). Got a good all-in deal for flights/MGM/shows. My hotel messed up at checkin in Boston and she had it sorted in about 20 mins with a better room. Serious peace of mind for the shorter trips.

Roll on July takeover!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

babymanval wrote: »
    http://www.travelcounsellors.ie/hazel.fogarty - This lady was referred to me a couple of years ago and has done a few weekend city breaks/sun holliers for me. She did my Boston trip, and have just gone through her for July in Vegas too (I need to sort fight ticket directly). Got a good all-in deal for flights/MGM/shows. My hotel messed up at checkin in Boston and she had it sorted in about 20 mins with a better room. Serious peace of mind for the shorter trips.

How much flights and Accom?

babymanval wrote: »

I think you should checked the fine print. If you got that price, fair play, but you might be forgetting resort fees. What exactly does the quote/package say.

If you book with those prices dates now, it comes to €660ish for the room.
    But when you get to the hotel, you'll be hit with a $32/day resort fee. $194.88 for the whole stay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ciano316

I stay in the excalibur when in vegas it's across the road from the MGM and is half the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

but1er wrote: »
    Anyone maken the 3 hour dash from Gatwick to London on the way home on Tuesday?? If so ye fancy chipping in on a taxi about 50 pounds if we can get 5 be worth it

To Heathrow? We're doing that, not looking forward to it, especially after a weekend in Vegas!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Betty-ireland

but1er wrote: »

To Heathrow? We're doing that, not looking forward to it, especially after a weekend in Vegas!

DrPhilG wrote: »

Ya with resort fees. Was delighted. Going over for Patrick's Week in March and had to pay a bit more for PH.

Ya with resort fees.

Fair enough, if correct you got a great deal. Just sounds too good to be true.

7th to 13th is 6 nights, not 7. And currently for those 6 nights through the likes of booking.com or expedia, it comes to almost €800 once you add tax and resort fees.

Unless yer doll has naked photos of the MGM's manager, I don't know how she gets a deal that cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

the band wagon is fairly full at this stage. i know 5 couples headin over for it 2.5k per couple flights and accom + fight tickets + spending money. the girls don't watch ufc events but sure that irish fella is fighting in this one. driven mental listening that (i cant afford to go :rolleyes: )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

the band wagon is fairly full at this stage. i know 5 couples headin over for it 2.5k per couple flights and accom + fight tickets + spending money. the girls don't watch ufc events but sure that irish fella is fighting in this one. driven mental listening that (i cant afford to go :rolleyes: )

Absolutely, Was in a bar last night showing highlights of Silva v Diaz on one of the screens with the sound down to hear from the table next to me ' McGregor would batter both of them one after another' :confused::confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement