Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MMA Forum Feedback.

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Good to see a new Mod. Not so good to see that he/she feels the need to put " " around the word sport to describe MMA. :(

Yeah I didn't want to say that as of fear of getting banned, bit weird having someone mod the forum who wouldn't consider it a sport. Id rather no additional mod than that.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,101 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I never said I did not consider it a sport, and apologies if it came across that way. I was trying to distinguish the sporting side from the other stuff that surrounds the sport, particularly in the Irish context - clearly there is quite a lot of gossip and other stuff that attracts headlines, but it's not the sort of stuff that should be considered part of the sport itself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

On a positive note, I think the off topic discussion thread is working out nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,183 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Beasty wrote: »
    I never said I did not consider it a sport, and apologies if it came across that way. I was trying to distinguish the sporting side from the other stuff that surrounds the sport, particularly in the Irish context - clearly there is quite a lot of gossip and other stuff that attracts headlines, but it's not the sort of stuff that should be considered part of the sport itself

Fair enough, thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    On a positive note, I think the off topic discussion thread is working out nicely.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the last warning I've seen.
    Also a little but of off topic seems to be allowed in the other threads. It's pretty harmless, and as long as it's not derailing threads it seems to be the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

derfderf wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing. I can't recall the last warning I've seen.
    Also a little but of off topic seems to be allowed in the other threads. It's pretty harmless, and as long as it's not derailing threads it seems to be the way to go.

In fairness 90% of MMA news stories are regarding things that happen outside the cage. It was needed.

dulux99 wrote: »
    In fairness 90% of MMA news stories are regarding things that happen outside the cage. It was needed.

I do like how it's being handled though. No more pages and pages of whiskey talk in the mcG thread, but people aren't being warned for mentioning it in a post or two.
    It was very hard to find a balance before without shutting down discussion, but it's working very well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Could we get a dedicated thread for irish MMA - amateur and pro discussion?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

rob316 wrote: »
    Could we get a dedicated thread for irish MMA - amateur and pro discussion?

Not sure there is really a need for a dedicated one as there is rarely a huge amount of discussion around it outside of an event being on. Happy to add one though as long as it doesnt turn into a McGregor discussion thread..we already have enough of that elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,456 ✭✭✭Inviere

What are people's thoughts on having dedicated threads for Fight Night events? I rarely use large mega-threads as I have no idea what & where I'll be jumping into when entering them...so unless you're regularly following such threads, they're not ideal for those who don't. There does be some cracking fights/fighters for Fight Night events...but it's a bit off-putting having them all tied up in one single thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Inviere wrote: »
    What are people's thoughts on having dedicated threads for Fight Night events? I rarely use large mega-threads as I have no idea what & where I'll be jumping into when entering them...so unless you're regularly following such threads, they're not ideal for those who don't. There does be some cracking fights/fighters for Fight Night events...but it's a bit off-putting having them all tied up in one single thread...

One thread for all the fight nights works well in my opinion. If you haven't seen the event and don't want spoilers stay clear of that thread until you catch up. There are plenty of other threads for non fight night talk to use in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

This is the way it used to be but sometimes a thread didn't get created and the fights got spoiled in the general thread.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    One thread for all the fight nights works well in my opinion. If you haven't seen the event and don't want spoilers stay clear of that thread until you catch up. There are plenty of other threads for non fight night talk to use in the meantime.

That would also work for dedicated threads though, avoid the thread, avoid the spoiler.

ASOT wrote: »
    This is the way it used to be but sometimes a thread didn't get created and the fights got spoiled in the general thread.

Ah, I see. So there'd obviously be a necessity to ensure such a thread was created for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah, I see. So there'd obviously be a necessity to ensure such a thread was created for it to work.

Yeah, every event used to have it's own thread. When the forum was it was great.
    But when it got quiet, then the threads sometimes only had a few posts in real time. Then no posts, and some where missed.

So one thread was created to keep it all together and active.
    It's generally only used for the event talk, so once even it over, you aren't jumping into the middle of a discussion.

One improvement might be to add the event info a post. That might help bookmark and prompt discussion of each event

Mellor wrote: »
    so once even it over, you aren't jumping into the middle of a discussion.

That's more or less why I'm not a fan of megathreads, there's no clear beginning, middle, and end...so when you join in, unless you've been following, it can be awkward to find out where/what people are talking about etc.

Perhaps counter-intuitively, I'd have imagined a separate thread for each event would actually help generate discussion from users, rather than keeping it to a smaller few who put the effort in and keep up with the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It used to, but died out a bit.
    Maybe the regualr few in there can make the effort to do a small event post to highlight the chapters

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Theres never enough conversation on fight night events to merit their own thread. Very little pre event talk, hardly any during and nearly none post event. If theres no thread then people end up posting spoilers in the general thread.

Since the onus is on someone to set one up it cant be guaranteed so again this is avoided by just having one main thread. With very few posts per event its not like you have to go back trawling that far to find posts relating to a previous event.

Imo there are more benefits to just keeping one main thread as it currently is than there are for individual threads.

It would be good if it worked, but it meant threads with two or three posts. People wouldn't bother starting a thread for a low key fight night card because of this, but, at the same time, it couldn't be discussed in the general mma thread due to spoilers.
    You only have to go back 10 pages in the fight night thread to be back to mid May. A single numbered card would have more pages than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

Just checked in here to see if there was any chatter about the fights. Holy fcking tumbleweed. A huge loss of interest in mma among casuals these days, the absolute clusterfuck of a site update, and intrusive and obtuse modification has buried this place.

What a shame. There were some decent discussions here back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

The site update has been a killer but for me I think the moderation on the forum leaves a lot to be desired. It's one of the main reasons I post less these days.

Feels like discussion is actually discouraged a lot of the time. Seems like the place is run like a school rather than a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭barryribs

@Axwell Can we get rid of the spoilers tag on the discussion thread since event threads are minimal these days?

Not everyone gets to watch the event the night of or that weekend. Its basic common courtesy to just create an event thread and post in that instead of posting spoilers in the general chat thread so that wont be changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭barryribs

Numbered UFC threads are lucky to break 50 posts, the fight night thread maybe a half dozen. The reason for the suggestion was to not further dilute the forum and keep some sort of discussion active.

I don't watch live but with mainstream media now posting the results, particularly of championship fights, its on you if come to an MMA forum and get a spoiler.

Theres a single thread for fight night events, we could look at having a single thread for numbered UFC cards where spoilers and talk the night of or shortly after can go. But theres no valid reason for people to go posting about it in the general chat thread posting spoilers for an event that just happened or in the 48 hours following. Also its not always the case people come into the threads and get spoiled, you receive an email update for new posts in threads you are subscribed to. If you are posting in the general chat and subscribed for updates you get an email every time someone posts, so when someone posts a spoiler thats going to be in your inbox without you even visiting the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

WTF has happened to this forum, hardly any new posts, if this was 5yrs ago and a new Conor led TUF was just about to air the place would be hopping.

Sad times, used to be great in here

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

They really messed up with the migration. The site was so much better before, easier and more pleasant to use.

From a personal standpoint, I think that the moderation has been sub-par. Way too heavy-handed, discussions being shut down, warnings thrown around at the drop of a hat. I remember at one point having one of my posts deleted because it discussed something McGregor had posted on Instagram and that apparently wasn't MMA related. It really stiffles conversation and it gets to the point where you just can't be a*sed anymore.

Shame, I used to love this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,425 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I used to love this forum too. It was always part of the build up and excitement leading up to an event. I drifted away from watching mma for a while and I haven't posted in here in a long time. But I'd pop my head in from time to time and see what's going on and I have to agree with the above points. The new site layout played a big part in destroying the forum. And, from what I've seen, the moderation seemed very heavy handed at times.... plenty of bold writing every where you looked and people just stopped trying to comment out of fear of being shut down immediately.

Such a shame as it really was a great place for a long time.

Advertisement