Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is your Brain a Lefty or Righty?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

hmm,
    Well, seen clockwise first. then anti. then clockwise...
    what does that mean?
    I use both sides?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I can seem to change it to whatever I want to see, what does this mean?
    what does that mean?
    I use both sides?

You (hopefully) already use both sides of your brain. Everybody does.

It means precisely nothing. The whole idea that you can actually be a left brained type, or a right brained type, is ridiculous pseudo pop science bollocks.

It's a depth trick

Look at this cube

image004.png

Do you see the left side or the right side as being in front? You can see whichever you want right?

Do you think that has the slightest bit of relation to your personality? It's exactly the same perceptual effect as the woman spinning. It's just easier to control, and easier to understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,640 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

oh yeah well perceive this nub!

150824_0.jpg

STREET%20ART%2011.jpg

street1.jpg

spoiler alert: if you see a sea lion in the above, it means your brian is an East-South-Easty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

invisible-car-15588-1241346791-3-58.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

heh, I completely forgot about this thread.

In fairness to all the spoil-sports it is probably a load of pants. But it does get people to contemplate the fact that the left and right side of the brain may be associated with different thought processes. So it does 'expand your horizons' in that sense. :pac:

I heard another one that I won't bother verifying, I'll let somebody who knows off hand do so.
    If you ask somebody a question such as
    "What was your teachers name in Junior Infants" they will often direct their eyes to their top left (or was is top right) as they try to remember. This is also related to memory and left vs right brain activity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

It is true you use both sides of your brain but each side has slightly different qualities.

I'm obviously sceptical about why each direction should correlate to one or other thinking style. I'd like to see the experiment that claims to prove the claims.

I do believe that being able to change the direction of the spinning shows a better ability to manipulate your perceptions. It could also prove that your very good at deceiving yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I used to be a righty (good at drawing sculpting etc..) now after nearly four years of a science degree where all I seem to do is chemistry and maths I am a lefty. I used to suck balls at maths all through school and excel in art now I'm really good with maths and can't draw for sh*t! :mad:
    Has anyone used drawing on the right side of the brain? great book if yer into this topic ye should check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,050 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The link from Themanwho shows how it works. If you look at it with peripheral vision (read the text underneath for example) you can see that she is just going to and fro and not all the way round. I saw it anticlockwise first though, and can make it go either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

oh NO!! ive been looking at it for ages and i cannot see how it can be percieved as turning any other way than clockwise! its gotten to the stage where i think ye must all be having a laugh. Ive tried looking at the shadow, looking at the text - even tried doing some maths... no joy:eek:! what does this mean is wrong with me:o?!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

That thing is clearly changing it's own direction!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭A quiet one

I've been having a bit of a slow download thing over the last few days and so when i first started to look at this it was moving very slowly, in a stilted fashion and distinctly clockwise; Suddenly it went into full swing and she was going the other way.

To see if I could change it, I peered ever so more closely to the screen, to wit, after a little while my OH asked (with a note of irritation) if I was supposed to make myself drunk with it. I turned to explain and when I returned she was going clockwise again.
    However, according to my OH, she was turning anti-clockwise.
    Within seconds my OH announced that the woman had changed direction, but I still saw no change until moments later but at that point my OH didn't see yet another change.

Long story short;
    Within a minute or two we were both simultaneously shouting out a perceived change.
    And by that time we were also agreeing on direction.

I just found this with stumbleupon. It shows how the image can go either way, pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭WanderingSoul

I just found this with stumbleupon. It shows how the image can go either way, pretty interesting.

Oh God, I just looked at that and at one stage 2 of them were going in opposite directions.

Thanks for the link. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thekid9

Going by the dancer im a lefty

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dreamvisions

if i turn my head up side down , it starts going the other way lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I'm a lefty more but I was able to switch to the right a couple of times :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Ciaramb92

I saw it clockwise first, then I looked at it's shadow and looked back up and it was anti-clockwise..!

It looks much prettier and moves better clockwise!

And then when I focus on the legs it looks like it's going back and forth between the 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tiszani

Hi all

Does anyone know about course of Drawing on the right side of the brain in Ireland?
    I searched but I haven't found it. The most closest place is in Wales and after in New York :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

righty, and the description of

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
    uses feeling
    "big picture" oriented
    imagination rules
    symbols and images

describes my outlook on life 100% accurately. A lot of this stuff is uncanny isn't it?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

jkforde wrote: »
    righty, and the description of

RIGHT BRAIN FUNCTIONS
    uses feeling
    "big picture" oriented
    imagination rules
    symbols and images

describes my outlook on life 100% accurately. A lot of this stuff is uncanny isn't it?

I'd imagine that that is a good example of the power of suggestibility. If it had spun counter clockwise and you read the Left brain functions you probably would have thought "ehhh, yeah that sounds pretty accurate". Just in my opinion.

Try not staring directly at it. Watch it go clockwise for a minute. Then stare about two inches down the screen from it so that the image is in your peripheral vision. It should start spinning counter-clockwise and then when you look up continue like that, until you repeat the above.

It's pretty interesting all the same.

Further more on the suggestibility point. It's a wonder what a single letter of the alphabet can do:

Right_spinning_dancer.gif

Left_spinning_dancer.gif

fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord
    *puts on best tinfoil hat* Now imagine you had a few billion dollars, access to decades of research in the area and a couple of media outlets to play around with. fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

^^ the letters above have nothing to do with it. the two images are different in the way they have a white line to differeniate between the legs it wants to emphasize( the line is different in both pictures and not in the original at all), cover up the letter and it still moves in the direction the letter wants you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Had to quote you. Looking at the image original. I could only see it spin clocksise whether i looked at it on from above or object centred. The first thing i became aware of was that from an object cenred point of view the leg labled as right was infact the left leg.

I followed yoiur suggested steps convinced that they would fail. I looked downwards etc then back up at the image and somehow it was now spinning anti-clockwise. After that I simply could see it spinning clockwise however the image below was spinning clockwise.

With someowrk I can now see the first image spinning clockwise agian, but it quickly changes it orientation. It feels like there is a pause as the ywo legs croos each other wherupon they change orientation. No such change with the second image but maybe it is something to work on.

strobe wrote: »
    I'd imagine that that is a good example of the power of suggestibility. If it had spun counter clockwise and you read the Left brain functions you probably would have thought "ehhh, yeah that sounds pretty accurate". Just in my opinion.

Try not staring directly at it. Watch it go clockwise for a minute. Then stare about two inches down the screen from it so that the image is in your peripheral vision. It should start spinning counter-clockwise and then when you look up continue like that, until you repeat the above.

It's pretty interesting all the same.

Further more on the suggestibility point. It's a wonder what a single letter of the alphabet can do:

Right_spinning_dancer.gif

Left_spinning_dancer.gif

fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord
    *puts on best tinfoil hat* Now imagine you had a few billion dollars, access to decades of research in the area and a couple of media outlets to play around with. fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord fnord

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

donegal11 wrote: »
    ^^ the letters above have nothing to do with it. the two images are different in the way they have a white line to differeniate between the legs it wants to emphasize( the line is different in both pictures and not in the original at all), cover up the letter and it still moves in the direction the letter wants you too.

Rather than it being a case of the letters having nothing to do with it and the lines being the suggester it is more that the lines are working to that end in conjunction with the letters. Remove the lines and the effect would still take place. (cover the lines and they will appear to spin in the same way due to the letters) Remove the letters and the effect would still take place. If you are any good at this kind of stuff feel free to impose a letter on one of the legs in the original to confirm or refute and post the image.

If you focus on the original you should also notice faint white lines when the legs cross. It's a graphic glitch from two black parts crossing. They just appear to be heavily accentuated in the ones I posted to add to the effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭donegal11

the white lines make the decision for you in the way the body was shaped and hence the way it's rotating, its not like the to images are the same, the whites are clearly different in both images you posted side by side you clearly see the difference(these are not clearly visible in original if at all). you can't just say It's a graphic glitch because its different in both pictures to suit your theory. The letters are not suggesting anything, you could reverse the letters but the images would still move in the same direction due to the lines.

What can a single letter of the alphabet can do? not alot it seems,unless I can be proved otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It was going clockwise for me. Then I made it go the other way, took a bit of work but got there. Looked back and its going clockwise again. Is it better for it to be going anti clockwise then yea? Means your more intelligent?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

if i turn my head up side down , it starts going the other way lol

I forgot what thread I was looking at for a second and when I came back to the page I read this and was like, HUH???

Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

I have seen this before and i always see her going CLOCKWISE

This is interesting
    Most of us would see the dancer turning anti-clockwise though you can try to focus and change the direction; see if you can do it.
    HOW CAN YOU??

Unless she moves her OTHER LEG,i dont think you can.. SHE IS CLEARLY GOING CLOCKWISE!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Dude111 wrote: »
    I have seen this before and i always see her going CLOCKWISE

This is interesting

HOW CAN YOU??

Unless she moves her OTHER LEG,i dont think you can.. SHE IS CLEARLY GOING CLOCKWISE!

No you can make her change direction, stare at it for a while and start doing some maths in your head.
    I remember the first time I saw it she was going clockwise and then I looked away for and second and looked back and she was going clockwise. I was convinced it just changed every minute or something so watched it for ages.....that was a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Wierd i did it :D (Its hard though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

For the life of me I can't make the bitch turn anti-clockwise, she's always going clockwise...ALWAYS!

Advertisement