Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UFC 205: Alvarez v McGregor (Event Discussion) - FAQ's in OP

Options
1717273747577»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

Gamebred wrote:
    Funny how on the day this card was ''easily'' beating every single record accord to Dana including ppv trends and as the battle with Conor begins its changed to ''one of the highest ppv's ever'' ie not the the record.

When will they release the buy rate?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,269 ✭✭✭Gamebred

Alvarez via Submission
    Head Wreck wrote: »

Nope and never will officially, some media sources (Dave Meltzer) usually have the figure or close to it so they say,

My guess is 1.4m.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Niall_76

Alvarez makes himself sound stupid here. Such a seasoned fighter and he says he can't follow a game plan.

As for Chael saying there should be a rematch, give me a break. He was toyed with.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Nope and never will officially, some media sources (Dave Meltzer) usually have the figure or close to it so they say,

My guess is 1.4m.

I'd say it smashed 1.4m personally. Dana has already said they broke the record, all this "we have to wait to see how the numbers are trending" is BS. They'll know the second the main event is over how many PPV's it sold, these are simple metrics to track, they will know down to the last digit how much it sold.

We'll find out in a week or so when Meltzer reports on it but my guess would be 1.7m

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Just getting around to seeing the earlier fights I missed. On round 3 of her fighr Jaysus Miesha Tate some bird even with her face battered

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    Head Wreck wrote: »
    The short answer is they won't. Not in any official capacity.
    Gamebred wrote: »
    Funny how on the day this card was ''easily'' beating every single record accord to Dana including ppv trends and as the battle with Conor begins its changed to ''one of the highest ppv's ever'' ie not the the record.
    I don't think a battle with Conor has anything to do with that. His contract isn't a PPV bonus, he'll have some sort of transparency on that. There's no way they just take what ever figure the UFC claim.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    They'll know the second the main event is over how many PPV's it sold, these are simple metrics to track, they will know down to the last digit how much it sold.
    Do they?
    I've no idea how those metrics are tracked. But I'd assume that not done by the UFC themselves. The disruption is done be multiple cable/satellite companies. I guess that the UFC won't have the final number until they get details from them all, and verify them.

People who order the encore screening the next day would count towards it too.
    They'd probably have the UFC.tv numbers straight away, but they don't go towards the PPV count afaik. I don't thinking international PPVs (like in Australia) do either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

McGregor via Decision
    Mellor wrote: »
    I don't think a battle with Conor has anything to do with that. His contract isn't a PPV bonus, he'll have some sort of transparency on that. There's no way they just take what ever figure the UFC claim.

Do they?
    I've no idea how those metrics are tracked. But I'd assume that not done by the UFC themselves. The disruption is done be multiple cable/satellite companies. I guess that the UFC won't have the final number until they get details from them all, and verify them.

International PPV's don't count towards the total. So whatever is sold in Germany on PPV doesn't count. However, all PPV's sold through official UFC site do count - and more importantly there's no split.

I.e. PPV's bought through conventional means have a 55-45 (or 60-40 depending on who to believe) split with cable providers. Whereas the UFC gets 100% of the $60 from units sold through the website.

What they can tell straight away are those numbers which reflect the overall picture. It's how Dana knows so quickly how a PPV is looking - he just extrapolates it. So, if UFC 205 did say 137,000 buys through UFC TV compared to UFC 202 doing 109,000 he can have a good idea that's reflected across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

McGregor via Submission
    Mellor wrote: »

Do they?

People who order the encore screening the next day would count towards it too.
    They'd probably have the UFC.tv numbers straight away, but they don't go towards the PPV count afaik. I don't thinking international PPVs (like in Australia) do either.

I've worked in the games industry a bit and the ease of tracking metrics these days is incredibly simple. Even with complexities of multi-platform, 3rd party sales, bricks and mortar sales. It can all be followed relatively easily. Of course I think companies tend to push the narrative that they are hard to track because in this regards, information is power and can negatively affect the companies so they tend to keep the info close to their chest.

But PPV's seem very simple. They are all booked with credit cards through cable companies or perhaps you can order PPV's and have the cost added to your next bill. Regardless each of these cable companies will be able to calculate the exact amount they have sold on the night with simple bean counter software. The UFC will have exact numbers from each cable company right after the event finishes, or the next day if people can purchase a replay of it. It's just a matter of tallying them all together after that. I think the "we have to wait for the numbers to see how we did" is more of a throwback to old fashion PPV when they were less reliant on computer systems to handle these things but it provides a convenient excuse to not disclose them.

I think this info is probably closely guarded at first but eventually disseminates down the chain until an industry person like Meltzer gets a tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

McGregor via Decision
    International PPV's don't count towards the total. So whatever is sold in Germany on PPV doesn't count. However, all PPV's sold through official UFC site do count - and more importantly there's no split.
    Have you seen that confirmed anywhere? I've always been led to believe the the PPV score is excluding online PPVs. Which I always thought was a little sneaky (in terms of PPV share).

It would certainly make more sense that it's counted. But I've never seen that confirmed.
    Lukker- wrote: »
    But PPV's seem very simple. They are all booked with credit cards through cable companies or perhaps you can order PPV's and have the cost added to your next bill. Regardless each of these cable companies will be able to calculate the exact amount they have sold on the night with simple bean counter software. The UFC will have exact numbers from each cable company right after the event finishes, or the next day if people can purchase a replay of it. It's just a matter of tallying them all together after that. I think the "we have to wait for the numbers to see how we did" is more of a throwback to old fashion PPV when they were less reliant on computer systems to handle these things but it provides a convenient excuse to not disclose them.
    Yeah sure, It's relatively routine for each company. It's probably completely automated. With maybe a minor approval before sending to UFC. My company has almost realtime reporting on similar info.

But I meant that the cable companies won't have an official final count until they stop airing an event. I can order it through Fox right up until tomorrow night. They probably selling very few encore screenings now that fight pass has dropped from a 30 day delay to 3 days.
    I'd imagine the initial predictions "trending to be the biggest ever" is based off of pre-orders or something. Or just a lie ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭xtal191

McGregor via Decision

Advertisement